Bloodspoiler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a problem with my new notebook.
Whenever I start my notebook there is no problem, but after a little while (say 20min prox.) my whole system starts flippin' out. The screen tends to go black and pops up again after a few seconds, then I can hardly move my mouse, nor can I get anything to close or so. It just becomes so unstable.
Does anyone know how to solve this?

Short film I took to demonstrate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n0oHWdhOq4

Asus Notebook K50AD-SX078V

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 M320
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Motherboard chipset: ATI RX781

RAM memory:
Form factor SO-DIMM 200 pin
RAM technology DDR2 SDRAM
Installed RAM [MB] 4096 MB
Max RAM [MB] 4096 MB
Configuration 2 x 2 GB

Hard Disk:
Hard Disk [GB] 500 GB
Hard Disk Spindle Speed [rpm] 5400 rpm

Optical Memory Type DVD±RW (±R DL)

Graphic Processor ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 HyperMemory upper to 1794 MB
Video Memory [Mb] 512 Mb

Conformity standard SRS Premium Sound

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Microsoft Office Ready yes

Type Serial ATA
Serial ATA Interface Serial ATA-150

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
is it still in warranty if so take it back/send it back to where you got it and get a new one

if not say so and ill try to help

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It could also be the RAM or even the PSU.

EDIT: Taking another look at the video, it resembles what sometimes happened on my old Toshiba Portégé. "helpsvc.exe" would sometimes, for no particular reason, form a memory leak and start sucking up all the available RAM. Once the RAM ran out, it would start trying to expand the page file and suck up whatever resources could be obtained that way. Basically, it became unstable, similar to what's shown in the video. The difference is that my Portégé only had a 299Mhz CPU and 160MB of RAM, running XP. Your laptop is new so it shouldn't have the same problems.

The turning black then turning on again and slowly filling the page is a sign of the GPU trying to paint back all the objects it's trying to display. For whatever reason, either it's not working fast enough, or it's not getting enough resources from the rest of the system (HDD, CPU and/or RAM, in that order), so the framerate is dropping to a crawl (each time it goes black, that's supposed to be a new frame/refresh, I believe). Because this basic function is getting choked, so are the input/mouse responses/commands (i.e. it's why you can't close down IE). It could be due to a fault in one or more of the above parts, or the parts connecting them (i.e. the ATI RX781 chipset itself). It could also be a fault in the PSU, which may have a weak 12v rail that's fluctuating, causing the parts relying on it to fluctuate.

It may also be a software problem, from something not reading properly on the HDD choking up the rest of the chain of commands, to a virus to that effect, to some corruption or badly written code somewhere creating a memory leak to the same effect.

All in all, too many things could be the cause. Updating drivers and running checkdisk in safe mode or DOS may fix things if it's only software or HDD based, as may reinstalling windows. However since it's new, I say the best course of action is to call in the warranty. Have them check it out, fix it, and/or replace it.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
look at the temperatures of the CPU/GPU/etc.
If those are ok, try a liveCD of ubuntu or some other linux
If this works alright it's most likely some software problem
else send it back to asus and let them fix it (and hope it comes back fixed...I could tell stories about Anus support)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1