Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Literally everybody can. They're upgrading even pirated copies of Windows 7/8.1. It is free all around.
Nope, not anymore. Pirates still have to pay.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...soft-is-not-giving-free-windows-10-to-pirates

Good to see the release date is soon, though, I'll be sure to upgrade soon as I can.

EDIT: :ph34r:

EDIT2: Also, as soon as they announced this, I now have an icon in my system tray to "Get Windows 10" which opens this:
cc8367898b.jpg

:lol:

Reactions: Kioku and Margen67
D

Deleted User

Actually Microsoft revised the statement about pirated copies. However Windows 7 Keys are so cheap on Ebay nowadays you might as well pick that up and then get a legit upgrade.
Not MS, the news sites who didn't read MS's statement correctly.

As a few people have pointed out, pirates can upgrade a pirated Windows to an unlicensed Windows 10

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
The bad thing about this:
- All teachers will now ask to update old hardware, hardware that we considered to old for Windows 7/8 (Everything Pentium D or Pre-Dual Core or lower)
blah, blah, blah, it says CPU 1Ghz, ...
Damned i'm looking forward to schoolyear 2015-2016 as one of 3 IT guys for around 23 schools
We already managed to skip Windows 8, but i doubt we can skip Windows 10.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
Nope, not anymore. Pirates still have to pay.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...soft-is-not-giving-free-windows-10-to-pirates

Good to see the release date is soon, though, I'll be sure to upgrade soon as I can.

EDIT: :ph34r:

EDIT2: Also, as soon as they announced this, I now have an icon in my system tray to "Get Windows 10" which opens this:
cc8367898b.jpg

:lol:

doing some Google-fu
that seems to have come with a windows update

there should be something runinng called GWX.exe (get windows 10?)
when i killed the GWX.exe process and the icon disappeared

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If it has the Metro UI at the start up, then, no, and only when I'm forced to update, will I update.

ClassicShell ;3

also M$ is finally not trolling us and giving us the REAL start menu that we were promised with 8.1 that turned out to be a glorified MetroUI shortcut

LOL adding "desktops". something Ubuntu has been doing for years

Last edited by stanleyopar2000,

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm running a year old pirated Windows 7 and I still got the notification to upgrade to Windows 10. Still not sure if I'll still get Windows 10 but I'm still happy on 7 for now.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How the hell are people getting the prompts when I have a legit copy of Windows 7 64-bit Pro? I mean, really Microsoft? Really? This is asinine. I got nothing, the instructions are garbage, and there is no "Setup" under the Task Scheduler, at all. I guess Microsoft doesn't want people to help improve their OS.

So I'm not going to get any help or any form of assistance on how to get this resolved. Okay.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm running a year old pirated Windows 7 and I still got the notification to upgrade to Windows 10. Still not sure if I'll still get Windows 10 but I'm still happy on 7 for now.
It will still give you an upgrade, but with no CD key, so you'd be stuck on an illegitimate copy (until you crack it :P)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
How the hell are people getting the prompts when I have a legit copy of Windows 7 64-bit Pro? I mean, really Microsoft? Really? This is asinine. I got nothing, the instructions are garbage, and there is no "Setup" under the Task Scheduler, at all. I guess Microsoft doesn't want people to help improve their OS.

So I'm not going to get any help or any form of assistance on how to get this resolved. Okay.
You've literally got 2 entire months to get the update, it's not like Microsoft is going to run out of digital copies of an OS. Calm the fuck down :rolleyes:

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
This is insane, I can't even get the bloody prompt to show up at all, so I can't even reserve my free copy :( Damn you Microsoft.
Not only I can't get the prompt, but the way to load it doesn't work for me. Even if I double click on the exe like crazy, it won't even show a single little textbox.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've literally got 2 entire months to get the update, it's not like Microsoft is going to run out of digital copies of an OS. Calm the fuck down :rolleyes:

Never said that, I'm just saying I don't get any prompts, and I can't even initialize it, probably because I turned off Windows Update months ago since it kept fucking up on my connection. :lol::lol:

Not only I can't get the prompt, but the way to load it doesn't work for me. Even if I double click on the exe like crazy, it won't even show a single little textbox.

Yeah, no idea why it's being so stupid right now.

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated my win 7 to have the upgrade prompt but it doesn't load for me either, legit win 7 ultimate...idk. I like 7 anyways so no great loss to the world.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The simple reason why they skipped 9, is because of lazy devs and SDK's. If it was left as Windows 9, most installers out there would immediately see that number and then think "oh, this is a Win95/98/Me box" and either install with that assumption, or refuse to install at all. So that's your reason right there.

I'm mostly looking forward to Windows 10 for DirectX 12, and what it can do for OpenGL. Though I fear my current hardware won't be able to run it well, if at all. But I won't mind hanging on to the installer and the key that would let it stay free for me until such time I can get a better system together to run it on.

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
So, let me get this straight. If I get a legit Windows 7 key, I'll get access to Windows 10 if I reserve until 1 year after release?
If so...then later, when I want to reinstall Windows 10 (it'll happen eventually), will my Win 7 key work, or will I need a Win 10 CD?
Since I'm running an activated (removeWAT) pirated version of Windows 8.1, if I can get a Win 7 key now and it becomes a fully-working Windows 10 key later on, I'll most likely go legit with my Windows installs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY