MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently testing the latest leaked build of Windows 10 in VMware 11, and I like what I see so far. The Live integration is very nice. New desktop and explorer icons (FINALLY), and we'll be getting a new web browser in place of Internet Explorer, which I welcome whole-heartedly.

Reactions: Margen67

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there more than dual CPU boards outside server world these days?
None that I am aware of. I cannot find even a dual socket motherboard for desktop, Supposedly the end user versions of Windows support 2 physical processors, but have yet to come across a recent motherboard with dual socket for desktop. There is no law saying you cannot use a server board as a workstation or as a gaming PC:lol:. These server rigs are awesome, and packs a punch, especially in the multithreaded department. Also it's RAM city with the server boards, you never seem to run out of those DIMM sockets:rofl:.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[on dual CPU sockets]None that I am aware of. I cannot find even a dual socket motherboard for desktop, Supposedly the end user versions of Windows support 2 physical processors, but have yet to come across a recent motherboard with dual socket for desktop. There is no law saying you cannot use a server board as a workstation or as a gaming PC:lol:. These server rigs are awesome, and packs a punch, especially in the multithreaded department. Also it's RAM city with the server boards, you never seem to run out of those DIMM sockets:rofl:.

Oh I am not knocking using server grade gear in consumer/gaming capacity, wish I had the funds to do it more often for people. Come to think of it I have not really seen dual socket boards since skulltrail, though a quick search says I probably should be looking harder ( http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Z9PE-D8-WS-Workstation-Motherboard/dp/B007B5PD0O even if that is 2012 release).

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I am not knocking using server grade gear in consumer/gaming capacity, wish I had the funds to do it more often for people. Come to think of it I have not really seen dual socket boards since skulltrail, though a quick search says I probably should be looking harder ( http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Z9PE-D8-WS-Workstation-Motherboard/dp/B007B5PD0O even if that is 2012 release).
LOL, I don't know how I missed that in my search result, and that board is not that old, but supposed 2012 is old in technology years:lol:. I like building computers myself, but problem is the funding to do so every so often is lacking, Space requirement for the said computers and all the previous ones that built, and nobody in my area do not seem to want a gaming PC or server grade computers:sad:. Basically they all go out and buy the very basic computer at the local Walmart store or go find old computers off the street, and they are happy with it. Supposed I live in a casual neighborhood, that is if you call having a few houses near you a neighborhood?:rofl2:

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
i love how in almost every new Microsoft commercial there's Minecraft slapped in it
This is why they bought it!

Back to the prior question: to the best of my knowledge, motherboards only come in single or dual CPUS variants, and only servers using racks/blades have more than that. Unless you count PCIe mounted computation boards like nVidia...Tessler was it called?

Edit: I should really check what page number I'm on before posting. Ah well...

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
W10 sure looks interesting and better than 8/8.1 though I'll keep using 7 still.
Why? 10 is a free upgrade, and regardless of aesthetics, each OS comes with under the hood improvements that it's generally better to have than to not. As it stands, with 10 coming, 7 is basically the new XP seeing as it's in the realm of only having extended support with mainline support having ended at the start of the year. It's also the new XP in that people seem far too stubborn to move on from it. I get not moving to 8 because maybe you didn't see it being worth money, but considering Microsoft is just throwing 10 at people for nothing, it seems silly not to upgrade.

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Windows 10 OEM is gonna cost $109.99 for the home edition and $149.99 for pro

FOmd648.png

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006587 50001149 40000368&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&hisInDesc=10&SrchInDesc=10&Page=1&PageSize=30

also here's the system req's
Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Free hard disk space: 16 GB

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

A Microsoft account and Internet access

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a prompt to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 yesterday. I have Windows 8.1 Pro (legit btw, college students get it for free) I wondered do I get Windows 10, or Windows 10 Pro for free? well if anyone's curious you can google and find out that yes you can.

So if you have Windows 8.1 Pro, or I think Windows 7 Pro as well you can get Windows 10 Pro instead of the regular version for free.

... or maybe that was windows 7 ultimate... you know I can't be sure. Either way free is free.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Pagio94

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Got a prompt on both 7 and 8.1. The prompt just told me that I'll get a download and a confirmation email, but no words about a key. I vastly prefer clean install to upgrades and I'd be kinda picky about the upgrade if clean install won't be allowed

D

Deleted User

I've been using the technical preview and so far I don't like it. It's basically in between 7 and 8.

Here's what's changed as of the latest build (that I've noticed at least).

Good:
>The Xbox app is up to date with Xbox One features.
>Cortana
>The mail app looks flashier
>The login screen looks nicer than W8
>Direct X 12 (not yet available in builds but has been announced to be W10 exclusive)

Bad:
>The Xbox app uses a separate avatar app rather than having an integrated avatar menu like the Windows 8 Xbox app
>The above mentioned avatar app opens up your browser to shop for avatar items. I can't remember if W8 had an avatar store so it might be a slight albeit annoying improvement.
>Charms bar is disabled and the checkbox to enable it is greyed out.
>Due to the lack of charms bar, there is no share charm to easily email interesting articles from the news app
>I don't like the new start menu. (older builds actually had a slightly better start menu than both Windows 8 and Windows 7 but they've ruined it in the latest build)
>While the W10 store has improved a lot in the latest build and now has essential features from W8 store, it still has some account features that open up a browser. As far as I can tell it doesn't offer anything new that the W8 store didn't have and the W8 store didn't open up a browser page for any of it's features.
>The mail app has buttons relocated so I need to relearn it, it also doesn't automatically sort newsletters like 8.1 mail did
>Cortana takes up a large chunk of the taskbar. As many users have pointed out Cortana would've been better replacing the search button in the charms bar.
>The new web browser is confusing to use.
>New Windows Explorer icons are horrible.
>Metro apps are now run from the desktop, this feature was optional in 8.1 and I liked having my Metro apps separate.
>Microsoft seems to be ignoring the mass complaints about missing Windows 8 features.
>I have to put up with the rest of this list just to have DirectX12 and the inevitable W10 exclusive games.

Neutral:
>The news app has a completely new layout, I'm not sure if I like it better or worse than the W8 one

Note that the cons list mainly applies for Windows 8 users and most are pros if you're still on 7

Summary: W10 appears to be a repackaged and less convenient Windows 8.1 marketed towards people who don't want Windows 8. 8phobes will not find Windows 10 appealing, nor will current users of Windows 8.1
Many of the "new" features Microsoft is using as selling points are present in Windows 8.1 and the few actual new things could easily have been added to Windows 8.1 instead of releasing a new OS
It is still in development, so the bad list is still shrinking.

Regarding upgrading (as I understand):
All Windows 7 and 8 users can upgrade for free and most Windows Phones (even Windows Phone 7) can upgrade for free.
The upgrade won't be free forever I think they said the offer expires a year after release.
Building a PC from scratch will require buying a license. It may be cheaper to buy a 7/8 license and upgrade with the free offer.
Pirated 7/8 can upgrade but will need to pay for a license. Best to get a legit 7/8 license first then upgrade for free to save money.

Last edited by ,

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Why? 10 is a free upgrade, and regardless of aesthetics, each OS comes with under the hood improvements that it's generally better to have than to not. As it stands, with 10 coming, 7 is basically the new XP seeing as it's in the realm of only having extended support with mainline support having ended at the start of the year. It's also the new XP in that people seem far too stubborn to move on from it. I get not moving to 8 because maybe you didn't see it being worth money, but considering Microsoft is just throwing 10 at people for nothing, it seems silly not to upgrade.

Can't quite get used to the new Start menu but I suppose since it's free that I could give it a try.

Windows 10 OEM is gonna cost $109.99 for the home edition and $149.99 for pro

FOmd648.png

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006587 50001149 40000368&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&hisInDesc=10&SrchInDesc=10&Page=1&PageSize=30

also here's the system req's
Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Free hard disk space: 16 GB

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

A Microsoft account and Internet access

Those specs are rather very nice for low end machines.

D

Deleted User

As I pointed out, besides the bad start menu it should have everything 7 has + more so if you can get it for free there's nothing to lose.
Only Windows 7 features it won't have as I'm aware of is Windows Media Center (I prefer Windows Media Player anyway), and games like Hearts etc. There is a free Windows 8 version of Solitare and Minesweeper on the store and I imagine future releases of the rest aren't out of the question.

I got 8 on my laptop soon after release myself but only because there was a $50 early adopters special, took some getting used to but once I got used to the 2 in 1 OS I could never look back, Just about all the 7 stuff except mentioned in the above paragraph is still in 8 (and when 8.1 came out the start screen became more like the W10 start menu). Though had there not been that early adopter offer I wouldn't have bought 8 until I built my current desktop.

So in other words, go for it, it's free and you won't lose anything important.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY