Windows 10

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I also wonder: if someone has pirated Windows that they've, uh, "fixed" to be read as genuine, will the Windows 10 upgrade result in a legitimate license? I'm guessing they'll have checks in place to look for certain files and such to verify just how genuine the installation actually is, but I'm still curious.

Edit: Eh, on second thought, most pirate activation methods rely on deleting a specific update, so all they'd really have to do is have a check for that one file.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
The important thing is when wil I know if I have valid license? I really want to know, before I install.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
The important thing is when wil I know if I have valid license? I really want to know, before I install.
Ideally you should just kind of know if your Windows is legit or not. If you installed a pirated version and used a hacktivator or the more recommended way, then the odds are not in your favor for it being recognized as legitimate. If you bought your computer new from a reputable source with Windows pre-installed, it's legit. If you bought the computer secondhand or from somewhere not known for wholly legitimate products with Windows pre-installed, there may be some cause for concern. If you bought Windows and installed it yourself with a legitimate activation key, you're fine.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I also wonder: if someone has pirated Windows that they've, uh, "fixed" to be read as genuine, will the Windows 10 upgrade result in a legitimate license? I'm guessing they'll have checks in place to look for certain files and such to verify just how genuine the installation actually is, but I'm still curious.

Edit: Eh, on second thought, most pirate activation methods rely on deleting a specific update, so all they'd really have to do is have a check for that one file.
It will still give you an upgrade, but with no CD key, so you'd be stuck on an illegitimate copy (until you crack it :P)
I would imagine the Windows 10 install would simply cross reference the currently activated key with their own database of keys, so any pirated copies would simply show inconsistencies and would only give you an unlicensed copy

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or, you know... simply reason that having someone on a legit, secure system is better than an out-dated one, so probably just enable them to get it legit and free so they're running something up to date instead of something that still has - *gasp* - IE on it.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been messing about with a newer preview build of Win10 for a few days now. And I gotta say that I do like it. It has a bunch of little features that really make a huge difference, such as ISO file mounting, snap support on one screen with an extended monitor setup, multiple desktops (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :P ), and the preview of DirectX12 is quite nice as I've noted slightly shorter load times on games. All this and more on a stock Windows 10 install, it's quite a change of pace. I like the hybrid Start Menu as well, should satisfy everyone. But I think the nicest feature is that all of the menus are in places that make sense, lol.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Been messing about with a newer preview build of Win10 for a few days now. And I gotta say that I do like it. It has a bunch of little features that really make a huge difference, such as ISO file mounting, snap support on one screen with an extended monitor setup, multiple desktops (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :P ), and the preview of DirectX12 is quite nice as I've noted slightly shorter load times on games. All this and more on a stock Windows 10 install, it's quite a change of pace. I like the hybrid Start Menu as well, should satisfy everyone. But I think the nicest feature is that all of the menus are in places that make sense, lol.
Some cool features for sure! I definitely will upgrade to windows 10.

Reactions: the_randomizer

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the record you have been able to mount isos all for free with Microsoft software for some time ( http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...780&e6b34bbe-475b-1abd-2c51-b5034bcdd6d2=True is the current one, I forget what the old one they stopped distributing was called). It was like comparing the inbuilt zip support to 7zip or winrar but it could do it.

Multiple desktops and better multiple monitor you say. Wonder if I will be able to leave ultramon behind at some point.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have just been using poweriso since it supports like every format
Same with the winrar vs built in, I find winrar to be faster

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the record you have been able to mount isos all for free with Microsoft software for some time ( http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...780&e6b34bbe-475b-1abd-2c51-b5034bcdd6d2=True is the current one, I forget what the old one they stopped distributing was called). It was like comparing the inbuilt zip support to 7zip or winrar but it could do it.

Multiple desktops and better multiple monitor you say. Wonder if I will be able to leave ultramon behind at some point.
I was talking out-of-the-box mounting support, no extra downloads or anything, Windows or otherwise. And maybe? I don't use ultramon. I just know as a dual screen user that it is certainly far better than stock 7 and 8/8.1, based on my experience over the last few days.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I was talking out-of-the-box mounting support, no extra downloads or anything, Windows or otherwise. And maybe? I don't use ultramon. I just know as a dual screen user that it is certainly far better than stock 7 and 8/8.1, based on my experience over the last few days.
Windows 8 has been able to mount ISOs out of the box since release.

Reactions: matpower and filfat
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
49TtQwq.png
I go the invitation, reserved it for July 29

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
49TtQwq.png
I go the invitation, reserved it for July 29

Dammit :( Still no notification for me, maybe I really do have to install the damn Windows update, though I turned off System Restore since it was taking up 10 GB of space for some reason, so if the update screws something up, I'm SOL.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dammit :( Still no notification for me, maybe I really do have to install the damn Windows update, though I turned off System Restore since it was taking up 10 GB of space for some reason, so if the update screws something up, I'm SOL.
I got the invitation after the Windows Update, for some reason it was failing to update 3 times, but then it ended up working a while later. Reboot your computer, is what I suggest.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the invitation after the Windows Update, for some reason it was failing to update 3 times, but then it ended up working a while later. Reboot your computer, is what I suggest.

But I thought there were issues with the recent updates screwing up the OS or causing stability issues, etc?

Calm down, its not coming out for 2 months
You will get the update notifaction pushed eventually

@Joe88 Truth be told, I turned off automatic updates a while back as I seem to recall hearing of a reboot-loop issue with KB3033929, so my concern is the safety of system updates and possibly breaking the OS.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3033929

Edit: Found some links regarding it

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/03/ms-update-3033929-causing-reboot-loop/

http://www.scmagazine.com/windows-7-users-report-issues-installing-microsoft-update/article/403263/

I don't know if the issue has been patched or not.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Various people said the same thing about windows XP... though actually many of those still seem to be on it.

Yes. Yes I am. Eventually I will have to upgrade, and it looks like this is the OS I'll have to get used to. All-in-all it depends on how much flexibility they add or how much flexibility is granted by hacking / mods. I don't like my OS helping me, because how I manage my information is my job to decide, not theirs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY