Gaming Will the Switch receive a price cut in 2019?

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I think it will get a $50 price cut maybe first half of next year. Just a hunch, don't take it seriously.
Maybe the price cut will coincide with Mariko.

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have to reduce price on this thing... i mean, $299 SERIOUSLY? you can get an XBOX ONE X for just $100 more... and an Xbox One S for $100 LESS. What is Nintendo thinking? they are not gonna do well in Christmas and black Friday.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hackable consoles sell more - so if the new firmware/hardware versions are cracked, there will be more sales. A lot of people don't bother buying consoles unless they can be hacked.
LOL no.
It might feel like a lot aren't buying when it's not hackable when you spend all your time in communities that are all about piracy, but of the 20 mil switches sold, there's likely less than 100.000 hacked. We're a niche group and that's true for all consoles.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

They have to reduce price on this thing... i mean, $299 SERIOUSLY? you can get an XBOX ONE X for just $100 more... and an Xbox One S for $100 LESS. What is Nintendo thinking? they are not gonna do well in Christmas and black Friday.
They've been told they won't do well since release but they kinda are.
Also, people being whiny pissants when they cut the price on 3ds is likely giving them pause on cutting prices again

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U didn't get a single price drop in it's entire lifetime.... and then all the remaining stock was recalled before launching the Switch for the same price. So I doubt they'd lower the price just yet, given this is only going into it's second year, come March.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean whatever they're doing it's working well. The Switch's price cannot be compared to that of a home console because it has many elements that are unique to the system. For example, an Xbox One doesn't have an antenna for local multiplayer, no IR camera or NFC reader/writer, no microSD card reader, no Joy-Con rails, no gyro sensors (inside the console), yeah the list is endless. Oh and one more, YOU CAN TAKE IT ANYWHERE. It is a totally different system with its own systems inside to run console-power games on the go, using a limited amount of power (battery) to give you a considerable amount of playtime yet still give you a great experience. Home consoles never have to consider power draw as an issue.

Last edited by aykay55,

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean whatever they're doing it's working well. The Switch's price cannot be compared to that of a home console because it has many elements that are unique to the system. For example, an Xbox One doesn't have an antenna for local multiplayer, no IR camera or NFC reader/writer, no HD rumble (in the controllers), no microSD card reader, no Joy-Con rails, no gyro sensors (inside the console), yeah the list is endless. Oh and one more, YOU CAN TAKE IT ANYWHERE. It is a totally different system with its own systems inside to run console-power games on the go, using a limited amount of power (battery) to give you a considerable amount of playtime yet still give you a great experience. Home consoles never have to consider power draw as an issue.
Only the xbox controller does havve HD rumble, they were the ones who first introduced that function lol

Langley911

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
You may be waiting for console EOL or beyond for a completely safe online hack.
hmm the 3DS family isnt EOL yet but still getting games,and ppl can do safe hacks and play online too,and its unbannable since unban the system is too easy lol

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

but the fact that Nintendo do hardware-ban base on the system's NAND and other stuffs which can not be replaced,deleted,modded.... is like saying its nearly impossible to do what i mentioned earlier,but i remember ppl used to say so to older consoles and eventually they got hacks and CFWs ...

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Y'all lucky. A Switch here is at least 470$ without including anything rather than the console. So expensive.

CaptainJosh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As someone pointed out in a post above, the Wii U never saw an official price cut - even when Nintendo was really struggling to sell them at a desirable pace. Instead, they opted for putting out different bundles and in some rare occasion they gifted a game with the purchase of another (the Mario Kart 8 promotion for example) but that was pretty much it.

If the rumors of a new revision end up being real, it could make the price drop even less likely. Although I guess there is always the possibility that they might still decide to put dock-less switch for sale at a slightly cheaper price.

The truth is... nobody outside Nintendo really knows! Personally, I would not expect a considerable price drop anytime soon.

Reactions: Langley911

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
One of the key factors for a price cut is sales momentum and the switch has had that since day 1, with smash ultimate approaching fast, that sales momentum is only going to grow and land nintendo into 2019 looking great, a price cut for the current model isn't out of the picture though, with rising rumors regarding the upgraded model of the switch launching seemingly this time next year, which does mean the current model might be rendered semi obsolete, same thing happened to the 3DS and the new 3DS, the original model will still be viable but the games will run better on the upgraded machine as expected, and with the switch being a online heavy console compared to like the 3ds, that means even existing games will receive updates easily to support the new hardware, so for the end consumer that would mean going for the cheaper option would be lower performance in all areas, which is quiet annoying to think about already as the mariko units will 100% have no exploits for homebrew or hacking at the beginning of its life cycle, and it will probably remain shutdown from hacks for a long time too, Nintendo are taking security seriously with the switch look at the current FW 6.2 situation.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- According to Nintendo, Switch has been marketed as a home console, and their long-term goal is to make it a personal one, a one-per-person instead of one-per-household machine.
- According to Gamefreak, Pokemon Lets Go is the "home-focused" focused game, while Pokemon 2019 is supposed to be a "handheld-focused" game.
- PKLG is the fastest selling Switch game yet and its not even a "serious" entry. This franchise has the power to influence what kind of consoles Nintendo will sell, and millions of people got previous Nintendo handhelds primarily for these games.
- 2019 we will start seeing info about next gen consoles. Switch will look even more inferior as a home console and the prospects of high-budget ports or multiplat releases will really dry up in 2020 and beyond.

Conclusion: we will see a cheaper Switch somehow in late 2019, as marketing pushes it more as a personal console, particularly for kids. Whether that be Mariko being a cut-down unit, or instead a mild upgrade that encourages hand-me-downs and a price drop on the original.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My phone only has 13% battery so i don't have much time left
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Now 12%
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday, btw
    Time is running out for your phone!
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    https://youtu.be/JmSqorj-EC0?si=vYqR8D7FZeO4N-TH
    At 1 AM, this video is the funniest thing in the world
    +1
    AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird: https://youtu.be/JmSqorj-EC0?si=vYqR8D7FZeO4N-TH At 1 AM, this video is the funniest thing in... +1