Will that GW update ever come?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Rob Blou, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Rob Blou
    OP

Rob Blou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2013
    Canada
    Anyone remember when Gateway promised a major update that would come out in April?
    Nobody's talking about it but that may be the 1st time GW lied to boost sales and get a final cash grab.
    I wrote to them 2 months ago and they've always replied in the past but not this time. They're famous for delaying stuff
    but they went completely silent since.
    Now please don't say stuff like: who cares we have CFW ... I'd still like to get that update :P

2. Rizzorules

Rizzorules "What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    I think that they were going to release something but then they saw that there was no point in doing so after sighax/b9s came out.

Shadow#1 and Rob Blou like this.
  3. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Theyre waiting for boot9 to be perfected before they steal it and claim they did it first

4. modrobert

modrobert Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2007
    Thailand
    Perhaps current profit from sales of Gateway 3DS doesn't cover paying developers for a new update?

5. miss_nakano

miss_nakano Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2016
    Australia
    It has been such a long time since they update it..I really wish there is a 11.4+ support. I am now at 11.4 with b9s and luma 8.1 without the mean to use it.

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That's because they've been lagging more and more behind CFW. If they actually made an effort to stay up to date with CFW while at the same time innovating with new features people would still be buying GW. But when they are making zero effort they're eventually going to lose all sales.

Shadow#1 likes this.
  7. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I still believe. Somewhere.

Nightwish, Maximilious, cearp and 2 others like this.
  8. LaPingas

LaPingas FGC Monster

Nov 2, 2016
    Israel
    Armada's Mustache
    I guess no. I was a long-time GW user.. and moved recently to B9S. WAY BETTER, idk why I didn't do it before

Shadow#1 and mikey420 like this.
  9. Arck

Arck GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 13, 2016
    I have my GW card in the dust and I switched to B9S, if they do release it I'll change back to GW, if it really worth it.

10. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    All they have to do is open-source their code and devs will make features for them for free.

Ace_Axel, GamingAori, Ricken and 9 others like this.
  11. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    As a long time owner, and sometimes user of Gateway, I've now given up on them.

Even without a RAM hacking feature, NTR's cheat plugin setup is superior to Gateway's, thanks almost entirely to @Nanquitas' incredible work.

I'm just waiting on magnethax, so I can system transfer to my new2DS XL finally moving to a sysNAND only setup.

12. miss_nakano

miss_nakano Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2016
    Australia
    I wish they would just do this.

13. Claros

Claros Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2008
    France
    If we could have the gateway menu inside Luma it would be perfect. The gateway is still an easy way to have an external memory on New 3DS.

14. Arck

Arck GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 13, 2016
    will never happens if they still care about they're business, otherwise other flashcard team will just rip off the card.

Gateway is still the best cheat solution even with that excellent cheat searcher inside a plugin.
    You still need to boot ntr and boot a plugin, won't work on extanded memory for o3ds, when Gateway work on anything.
    Suck that they don't valorize they're menu

Last edited by Arck, Jul 26, 2017
    nccom and Nightwish like this.
  15. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    Just gotta wait I guess. I never bought a GW flash card because the proposition wasn't much better than what user homebrew offered.

16. aos10

aos10 look at me,shitposting about GW,i am so cool

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    i really don't get it,why not just make their card work with other CFW?
    for example,release closed sourced file file to make GW run on luma,this way they wont fear someone like super card to "steal" their code.

and everyone win.

Sliter and Quantumcat like this.
  17. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Well they still have one feature that might still bag them the odd sale, which is their cheat engine, if they went opensource sure cfw devs might intergrate gw support into their cfw's but the real reason people would like that scenario is that everyone would get to use the cheat engine with no GW card and that would be the last of their already dwindled sales flushed down the pan

And I honestly doubt cfw devs would intergrate gw support unless it came bundled with the free to use cheat feature

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jul 26, 2017
  18. angela18

angela18 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2007
    United States
    I still use Gateway because I kind like the menu to select the games and they work with .3ds files which I still think it is convinient.

Nightwish likes this.
  19. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    So my comment isn't meant to be taken as a troll comment, but I don't think they would actually wait for a newer version.
    When Gateway team released their version of A9LH, they used code from A9LH v1, despite the fact that v2 had long been released and v3 was in the works. If they were to continue this thread, it's be more likely that we would see a "fastboot" either based on B9S v1 or v1.1 and unlikely to see them base it on the current version.

At the same time I am actually starting to think the team has died. Their lack of updating and communication is rather alarming. Coupled with the fact that several of the devs I test for have emailed them, only to get some beyond nonsensical email as a reply. Almost as if they were either avoiding the question or it as generated reply. It's rather concerning that they won't even a simple reply to "Are you working on a B9S port?" and the reply had nothing to do with that (I won't post it because it's not mine to post.)
    That would actually violate the GPL and couldn't be included. They would have to release the full source and the Luma3DS team would also have to release the full source.

Ricken likes this.
  20. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
    What plugin are we talking about?