Homebrew Question Will Switch eventually get GC, Wii and WiiU emulators?

Lallo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
GC and Wii emulators are already running on Wii U. As far as I know, the power of the switch is equal or superior to the Wii U.
Does this mean that we eventually can get a handheld device capable of running all the old classic games, even maybe Wii U games?
Is it just a matter of time or is there hardware limitations?

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The Wii U doesn't emulate GC and Wii. It runs them natively. The Switch is likely powerful enough to run GC and Wii games, provided there are improvements and adaptations to existing emulators, but Wii U emulation is probably out of reach. However, most worthwhile Wii U games have been ported to the Switch, or may be in the future. Bar that, "replacements" are coming out, such as Smash Bros. Ultimate.

D

Deleted User

The Switch can already (poorly) emulate Gamecube and Wii games. Given how popular the Switch has become it's fairly safe to assume that the emulation will improve over the next few years. If you want to play Pikmin 3 or Tokyo Mirage Sessions then you'll need either CEMU or a real Wii U.

I suggest you emulate all three on the PC because they'll run at 1080p 60fps (assuming your PC is up to it).

Last edited by ,

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Last edited by Localhorst86,

gabe_derp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Developers already have Gamecube games running through Lakka, not perfect emulation, but it has a way to go. However, the Nvidia Shield CAN run Wii games using an official Wii emulator created by Nintedno (Namely, Super Mario Galaxy). Why is that such a big deal? Because the Shield has the same chip as the Switch, the Tegra X1. This means the Switch is capable to run Wii games at nearly perfect 60 FPS. Here's a video showing the "official" Nintendo Wii emulator on the Shield.

As for Wii U emulation, probably never. Maybe at 1 frame-per-second on the title screen of any given game.

PeterGemp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Developers already have Gamecube games running through Lakka, not perfect emulation, but it has a way to go. However, the Nvidia Shield CAN run Wii games using an official Wii emulator created by Nintedno (Namely, Super Mario Galaxy). Why is that such a big deal? Because the Shield has the same chip as the Switch, the Tegra X1. This means the Switch is capable to run Wii games at nearly perfect 60 FPS. Here's a video showing the "official" Nintendo Wii emulator on the Shield.

As for Wii U emulation, probably never. Maybe at 1 frame-per-second on the title screen of any given game.
But the X1 in the Switch is underclocked, and considering the already poor battery life and how warm the Switch gets when playing docked, I'm not sure it'd be a good idea to run it at stock clock.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In regards to Wii, what about the sensor bar....
The sensor bar is nothing more than IR emitters that the wiimote picks up and uses for tracking(kinda like the power glove lmao) I have done this trick before; you just need two candles in line with each other and you can use the wiimote like you normally would. it's certainly doable. alternatively you could just emulate the tracking somehow, though I don't know how that would work. maybe the right joycon can be used to emulate a wiimote with the IR camera tracking IR signals from said candle "hack", or one of those "wireless" sensor bars.

VictorMoreno015

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GameCube emulation has been shown already. Only playing at 20fps with no sound.
Wii is only a bit stronger than the GameCube so it isn't out of the question. However I wouldn't be sure how the controls would work without a sensor bar.
Wii U is completely out of the question. You do realize you are talking about a console that is roughly 4x more powerful than the Xbox 360?

gabe_derp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the X1 in the Switch is underclocked, and considering the already poor battery life and how warm the Switch gets when playing docked, I'm not sure it'd be a good idea to run it at stock clock.
I've heard the Switch might be able to perform Wii emulation at the same rate as the Shield, even with an underclocked chip, due to Android being more intensive on a system's resources than the Switch's own Horizon.

But I don't know if that's complete boosh or not. And also, you have the various custom optimizations developers could make, like capping the frames to 30 or turning off Anti-Aliasing and all that stuff.

D

Deleted User

why do you care? my barely-alive laptop (not having a proper gpu) can run most wii games full speed... why would you care about the switch and emulation? use your pc!

ep919

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know if a 3DS emulator is possible? I know it is already a handheld, but it would be nice to have those games on the Switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Manual charging