Will Nintendo NX be a failure?

Do you think that the Nintendo NX will be a failure like the WiiU?

• Total voters

Autz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The only major flaw of the Wii U was that the specs weren't up to par for continued 3rd party support.

Kind of. The Gamecube was the last overpowered console Nintendo has produced and it didn't get much 3rd party because mini-DVDs.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of. The Gamecube was the last overpowered console Nintendo has produced and it didn't get much 3rd party because mini-DVDs.

It's not kind of the case, it is the case. We aren't talking about the GameCube, we're talking the Wii U. The media the games came on for the Wii U was certainly not an issue like it was for the GameCube.

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Well, if they do make a hybrid properly (portable console, slightly more powerful than the Wii U, which is entirely plausible of the Nvidia rumors are true, can be connected to TV) I can see it doing very well. PS4 and XB1 will remain static even if their hardware is getting upgraded (at least PS4 will). They drop the Wii U and 3DS and focus on a single plataform for releases instead of dividing them among 2, give it propee marketing, which again, is better by focusing on a single plataform, and naturally giving it a strong launch lineup (having Zelda BotW as a launch title is already awesome. Zelda TP sold lots of Wiis even while having been released on GCN)

Don't count Ninty out, surely they have learned from both the Wii U and 3DS.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I voted yes, Nintendo is getting left in the dust in the console wars. They're handhelds are mint, but their consoles are luckluster compared to the SNES glory days.

4K and VR are the future for the next gen, not gimmicky controllers and input methods.

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I voted yes, Nintendo is getting left in the dust in the console wars. They're handhelds are mint, but their consoles are luckluster compared to the SNES glory days.

4K and VR are the future for the next gen, not gimmicky controllers and input methods.
4K and VR?

Um, yeah, no. 4K, how is that the future of gaming, for starters? 4K TV sets aren't even common enough for it to be worthwhile, in fact, I'd say 4K at this point is gonna kill more studios than it'll help, considering how much more money will go to waste in zomg realusteek veezualz.

And, being fully serious here, VR is like ten times more gimmicky than even the goddamn Wii U GamePad and even more useless. Not only will devs have to waste time and money testing their games more because of it, they're basically testing how screens would work on your eyeballs, it requires more processing power to work in smooth ways. All this means it's a money sink for something that doesn't add to gameplay in any manner, think 3D, only way worse.

Tl;dr, no, neither of these are the future of gaming, they aren't neither profitable nor useful and thus hurt the industry more than helping.

Last edited by FrozenDragon150,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There are few ways this system can succeed
1: Don't name it after the Wii. To this day stupid people think the Wii U is just the wii and won't buy it because they are stupid
2: Advertise: Seriously, they did little to no advertising on the Wii U. How am I suppose to know there's new games if they never tell me?
3: 3RD party support, those long waits between games sure would have been nice if they were padded out with some 3RD party games
4: No gimmicks, the Wii U game pad seemed like a good idea, but the forced marketing of this gimmick really killed.
5: Stick to their guns. Before the release of the Wii U, they were so gung ho on the system finally focusing on gamers again and were aiming to win back the people they lost with the Wii. Then it fell flat because they couldn't stand by their system and went back to focusing on casual gaming.
6: Listen to the fucking fans!

If they follow this advice, it will succeed. If they don't, they will most likely have another flop.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanna state my opinion.... though i am not sure, i rather just ask the op why be so curious? But i guess perhaps everyone is, one thing is i STILL do not know what kind of game console it is. I can only say what i hope will happen, that at least support flash properly and a better web browser for videos. As far as games, I wanna see exlusives, and it better have backwards compatibility, for wii u, wii and specally gamecube, and 3DS. What i don't wanna see is a bunch of indie games that seem to be full of eshop for anything over $15.

I want better controls, better social network and communications. @Crystal the Glaceon said just about everything that i could have said myself. I specially don't wanna pay any price near $400 for it since getting scammed with buying the Deluxe wii u for near that much. :glare:

I think i'll end the rant here before i get too tempered. But still i do wanna know why be so curious op?:blink:

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
I started writing, but it turned out to be more of a rant about the touchscreen.lol

so I'll just ask this to everyone voting no. What did they actually learn from their mistakes? and what changes have they made to fix them? Because to me this NX sounds like a upgraded portable WiiU.

Last edited by Thomas83Lin,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4K and VR?

Um, yeah, no. 4K, how is that the future of gaming, for starters? 4K TV sets aren't even common enough for it to be worthwhile, in fact, I'd say 4K at this point is gonna kill more studios than it'll help, considering how much more money will go to waste in zomg realusteek veezualz.
4k TVs are much more affordable now than HDTVs were when the PS3/360 came out. I spent $400 on a 32" 720p TV a few years after that gen started, and now you can get a 50" 4k TV for about the same price.

aljpn91

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I wanna state my opinion.... though i am not sure, i rather just ask the op why be so curious? But i guess perhaps everyone is, one thing is i STILL do not know what kind of game console it is. I can only say what i hope will happen, that at least support flash properly and a better web browser for videos. As far as games, I wanna see exlusives, and it better have backwards compatibility, for wii u, wii and specally gamecube, and 3DS. What i don't wanna see is a bunch of indie games that seem to be full of eshop for anything over $15.

I want better controls, better social network and communications. @Crystal the Glaceon said just about everything that i could have said myself. I specially don't wanna pay any price near $400 for it since getting scammed with buying the Deluxe wii u for near that much. :glare:

I think i'll end the rant here before i get too tempered. But still i do wanna know why be so curious op?:blink:

tloz:tp released both on the wii and gamecube, even though the wii was fully backwards compatible with gamecube games
but whats the likelihood of the NX being backwards compatible with wii U games knowing that tloz:botw is coming both to the wii u and the NX?

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Its really early to talk if the NX is really going to be a fail like Wii U was or if it will be a good console

We will have to wait til March 2017

Wasn't supposed NX news we're coming this month? :unsure:

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

Backwards compatibility for 2 different architectures AND formats is horribly overkill, will make the console a cluttered mess and overpriced as hell though. They should just drop all backwards compatibility altogether, if they want retro games on it they should just make a more powerful console that can emulate as far as it can. If it's more powerful than the Wii U overall, I'm confident it should be able to emulate anything Nintendo until the Wii.

4k TVs are much more affordable now than HDTVs were when the PS3/360 came out. I spent $400 on a 32" 720p TV a few years after that gen started, and now you can get a 50" 4k TV for about the same price.
Common enough as in, the market isn't exactly saturated with them and people aren't gonna go out to buy 4K TVs just for their consoles unless they need them for something else, too or have one beforehand, thus, 4K is just superfluous at this time. And my other point about development costs still stands.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo