Hardware Will Nintendo drop the requirement of the Gamepad?

Will Nintendo eventually drop the gamepad requirement for Wii U?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I poked around here and was surprised I have not seen this discussed.

I personally love the gamepad, love Nintendolands asymetrical gameplay, love off TV play, and even love inventory management/map display on it. I also like Nintendo wanting to try something different.

I still think they should drop it as a requirement.

I would still like to be able to pick up my pro controller, turn on the system, enter my password, and start my game and play with out needing to pick up the gamepad. The amount of games that absolutely require it are not that many and the majority of those could be patched to be perfectly functional with out it.

1. I think there are people who stay away from the Wii U simply because they don't like or understand the gamepad.

2. I think they can significantly reduce the cost of the system with a basic/no-gamepad bundle and that price cut is sorely needed to grow the user base.

3. I think dropping it will not mean the gamepad is dead because there will still be a massive install base that has it and is conditioned to think of it as part of the console and has games that require it.

I think they will drop it as a requirement.

1. We saw them unexpectedly drop 3D from the 3DS in order to lower the cost of entry (the 2DS). They did this even with 3DS performing well, they have even more incentive to do this for the Wii U since it is in need of a boost. Also, 3DS (and later DS titles too)games barely use the touchscreen compared to the early DS library and we saw wii games that progressively had less motion contorol elements....we have seen features sort of become increasingly irrelevant over time on previous consoles.

2. They have talked about multi-gamepad support and of selling gamepads individually. They can continue to develop the gamepad and it's features because doing so will still help the Wii U be more appealing and they can still sell gamepads to those who bought a "basic" set. In a way this is an extra oppurtunity for hardware sales.

3. A hugely popular game is coming soon, basically their most popular/best-selling franchise, and I have heard no talk of exclusive gamepad features. Can anyone say Mk8 bundle with a pro-controller for $175? Would that do well? Smash is also a game where the gamepad likely will not be integral or neccessary. We seen 3D world require it and yet barely use it and we have seen NSMBU be patched to allow non-motion enabled controllers to be used by mapping it to buttons instead (which is used in I believe one level in the entire game)

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if they do that, wouldn't the Wii U become just a performance-boosted Wii? It's not that the gamepad drives people away, it's that the full potential hasn't been tapped into yet.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The timing of this thread XD Nintendo just said there going to focus on the Gamepad
thread here

Yeah, I heard that as well. I think it is a good strategy just like 360 focusing on kinect (better with kinect).

I don't think focusing on the gamepad necessitates requiring it for the entire lifetime of the console. Xbone I think dropped their kinect requirement didn't they? Don't you think we will see a non-kinect xbone bundle with in a year?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
The gamepad is practically what DEFINES the Wii U (Yes, even more than 3D defines the 3DS ... although there are obviously those who disagree.)

I do kinda like the idea of the ability to OPTIONALLY ignore the gamepad and just enter with the Pro controller or a Wiimote just for more versatility (I know of at least one person that actually just bought a "replacement" console off of eBay for ~$100 and can enter just fine with a Wiimote.) but without the gamepad the Wii U is nothing more than a beefy Wii (whether you feel that's a good thing or not is up to you, I guess.)

UltraMew

GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
But if they do that, wouldn't the Wii U become just a performance-boosted Wii? It's not that the gamepad drives people away, it's that the full potential hasn't been tapped into yet.
All non-Ninty consoles are just performance-boosted *last console from them here*

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is the 2DS a performance boosted DS?

I still think the gamepad would be an integral part of the system. Dropping it as a requirement doesn't mean it's dead. It just gives the consumer choice.

The gamepad can still drive people to the Wii U if it is not required. The gamepad can not drive people away from the Wii U if it is not required.

I do not see the negative in dropping it as requirement.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I would love to hear your reasoning behind that statement as well.

Did you think they would drop 3D on the handheld side?
well for start the wii-u wouldn't even work without the damn thing! :lol:

and the gamepad is NOT the reason why the wii-u is failing. it's nintendo stuck in their archaic ways that's making it fail.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see this happening either, Nintendo is too proud of their products. To make such a move would be shameful in that it would be akin to admitting they have no faith in their hardware... especially if it was reduced to a non-pack in, optional component.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
well for start the wii-u wouldn't even work without the damn thing! :lol:
Actually
(I know of at least one person that actually just bought a "replacement" console off of eBay for ~$100 and can enter just fine with a Wiimote.)
But of course some games won't work. :D

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The gamepad is practically what DEFINES the Wii U (Yes, even more than 3D defines the 3DS ... although there are obviously those who disagree.)

I do kinda like the idea of the ability to OPTIONALLY ignore the gamepad and just enter with the Pro controller or a Wiimote just for more versatility (I know of at least one person that actually just bought a "replacement" console off of eBay for ~$100 and can enter just fine with a Wiimote.) but without the gamepad the Wii U is nothing more than a beefy Wii (whether you feel that's a good thing or not is up to you, I guess.)

What is coming for Wii U that we know of that is a killer gamepad feature driven type of thing?

Yeah, we heard Iwata talk of focusing more on it, but other than the quick boot feature what is on the way?

I agree it would be nice to have the option as well, and if they give us the option why not then give consumers an option to jump in to Wii U with out it as well. It doesn't hurt anyone and those people will have some games they simply can not play with out it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No, they won't, but they should if they fail to make it relevant. According to their latest "future strategy" presentation, they're going to promote it strongly and release games specifically "made possible" with the Gamepad. In my opinion, it's a little late for that - Nintendo had the opportunity to do so prior to the console's release and it's the launch titles that were supposed to show that the Gamepad is relevant. Right now it's almost dead weight - it inflates the price of the system and doesn't do much in return. Either it should be made relevant or it should become an accessory or add-on that's not necessary for the console to function, but that's unlikely to happen.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think the gamepad would be an integral part of the system. Dropping it as a requirement doesn't mean it's dead. It just gives the consumer choice.
Entirely my bad. Interpreted the post as "Nintendo should just drop the gamepad" instead of "the gamepad shouldn't be a necessary component".

I do see the logic in offering a gamepad-less set, though that would mean more games would have to start offering completely gamepad-less methods of play.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Well, I can see them MAYBE making an extremely stripped down version of the gamepad with after the end of it's life cycle (crippled Wii-mini style) but to me a Wii U without a gamepad is not quite comparable to the 2DS ... It's closer to a 1DS (if you'll remember, making the 2nd screen an optional external item). It's something that would be workable, sure. Something they will do, no. Something they should do ... that's pushing it.

D

Dork

They won't do it nor should they. Thank god Nintendo is working on pushing the Gamepad after their previous business briefing.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
leave the gamepad just dont make it in games where you can use the classic controller and than have to drop that and pick up the gp for some levels!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: well.. Sorta new :)