Will installing a patched ios70 simplify everything? (4.2)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by MasterCAPS, Jul 6, 2012.

1. MasterCAPS
    OP

Newcomer MasterCAPS Member

United States
    Im thinking about it since im gonna try and see if priiload is safe (not sure what priiloader patches, or how it works... sounds risky)
    But with patch system menu wont that be better security?

And congradualtions on my birthday yesterday! woooo

2. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    There are various benefits to having a patched system menu IOS (in your case, IOS70). It is also recommended that you install Priiloader, with or without a patched IOS70. I recommend you use ModMii to install the recommended IOS files and Priiloader.

3. MasterCAPS
    OP

United States
    Ohh hi its you again (is that a copy/paste answer?) I just really like to get into all the technical details, telling me to use something like modmii installer doesnt seem very in-depth.... and trust I google this stuff, but its always vague/contrasting or ambiguous answers... plz anyone lets just talk abt stuff rather than say click this, click that... lets learn stuff

4. Lacius

United States
    Priiloader does not depend on a patched IOS70. Priiloader installs itself to the system menu for some basic brick proection and the implementation of tweaks (like getting rid of the health screen when the Wii is turned on and/or blocking updates). Installing Priiloader is highly recommended. The version of the Priiloader installer downloaded from ModMii uses IOS236, so assuming you don't power off your Wii during installation, it's safe.

A patched system menu IOS can be helpful in specific brick situations. This is why ModMii installs a patched IOS60 to all the old system menu IOS slots. A patched system menu IOS is also useful to, for example, launch channels from the SD menu that you installed through the Homebrew Channel.

I recommend ModMii because it is the easiest way to accomplish these things.

2 people like this.
  5. MasterCAPS
    OP

United States
    Thanks bro! one last question, I realise the benefits of installing a patched system menu to an outdated slot (like ios60), but how can it install another systme menu without it conflicting with ios70? How does the wii know which system menu to use once this happens? ( how does the wii know where the system menu is currently installed?)

6. Lacius

United States
    Although you can have various system menu IOS files installed to different slots (ex. IOS30, IOS40, IOS50, IOS60, etc), you can only have one system menu installed at a time, and that system menu requires its system menu IOS to work properly. For example, if you have system menu 4.2 installed, the system menu then looks for its system menu IOS in slot IOS70. If you were to use ModMii, by default it would install a patched IOS60 to slots IOS30, IOS40, etc, but then it would install a patched IOS70 to slot IOS70.

1 person likes this.
  7. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Except for Korean Wii's it would also patch ios60 into slots 70 and 80