Hacking WIIU play WII games from harddrive?

Krister

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hie

I dont know much obout hacking but want tp play my old WII games from harddrive on my WIIU.
Is it possible ?

How do I do ? Please help me. Is there any guide about what I need to do ?

Krister :unsure:

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
it is possible.
But you'll have to get a legit game (Super smash bros for example) to hack the vWii mode.

After that..
I don't know unfortunately ;p

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can't play Wii games from WIIU hard drive.
You need to hack your Wii mode, install homebrew channel, and use USBLoaders + Wii hard drive (FAT32 or NTFS) when you are in Wii mode.

If you want to hack/softmod your Wii mode, you can follow one of this tutorial :
Tutorial 1 (guide to install homebrew channel, make a NAND backup and softmod Wii mode)
Tutorial 2 (need Homebrew channel already installed)

You should read this before you do anything:
Read what you can do, and what you must never do
Information on current hacking state

Reactions: the_randomizer

Krister

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK so it is possible to play WII games from an extarnel harddrive ?
this is exactly what I am looking for.

I do not want to play from WIIU harddrive.

Reactions: blinkzane

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK so it is possible to play WII games from an extarnel harddrive ?
this is exactly what I am looking for.

I do not want to play from WIIU harddrive.

Yes, but just to be 100% clear: an external hard drive formatted for use with the WiiU cannot be used to play Wii games. If you already use an external hard drive with your WiiU you will unfortunately need a second one.

I know you've said you do not want to play from WiiU hard drive, but I just want to make sure you're not meaning the WiiU's internal memory when you say that.

And of course Cyan has already provided you links to all the info you need.

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyan i dont see how my post was rude or un-helpfull? (maybe blunt and honest but i clearly said go to the thread where that info is. which is helpfull info) and tbh your the moderater here so shouldn't you be sending people to correct forums instead of letting them create the same ones that are already created!!!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
don't try to do moderator's job or tell what moderators should do.
Your reply was authoritative and not useful to him, telling him his question is pointless and he should go look elsewhere. If you want to help him, answer and/or provide a link instead of telling people what they need to do and that their question are unwelcome.

Reactions: Whatnoww

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
ill say what i like as long as i follow the rules and am not rude!!! if a moderater isnt doing what they are ment to do then i think anybody/most people would point that out so plz dont feel high and mighty becaue you think you have a title. i said it was a pointless thread because its already been made bout 3 times already (the moderater i think is ment to keep forums clean when they have time). so i said its pointless and go look at the other threads. honesty is the best policy apparantly. im not and havnt tried to be-little anyone or been rude....... just honest

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am curious.. I already have my own external hard drive portable for Wii back up iso files but will vwii allow me to play Wii back up dvd instead of iso/WBFS ?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you didn't try it.. Can you try it ? :)

I don't have one because I am waiting for Wii U Bundle with Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, possibly. ;)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tested it with USBLoaderGX using patched IOS58. (I don't have cIOS installed on vWii).
It didn't recognize the Disc.
I also tried CleanRip : Failed to detect Disc type (if you force Wii disc: Failed to create file, but at least the disc is spinning)

At least, the WiiU didn't auto-eject the disc.

I'll try WiiMC or Wiixplorer with a DVDR ISO 9660

Wiixplorer doesn't mount it.
WiiMC : DVD playback is not supported on this Wii

Maybe I tested it wrong? Do you want me to test something else?

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind that the WiiU's USB ports don't provide the standard 500mA current max, so using a portable HDD (the little ones that are usually powered via USB) may or may not work.

You either need a Y-cable, or an external HDD that has its own separate power source.

Ran into this mess myself this weekend. Currently waiting on a powered hub off of eBay.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tested it with USBLoaderGX using patched IOS58. (I don't have cIOS installed on vWii).
It didn't recognize the Disc.
I also tried CleanRip : Failed to detect Disc type (if you force Wii disc: Failed to create file, but at least the disc is spinning)

At least, the WiiU didn't auto-eject the disc.

I'll try WiiMC or Wiixplorer with a DVDR ISO 9660

Wiixplorer doesn't mount it.
WiiMC : DVD playback is not supported on this Wii

Maybe I tested it wrong? Do you want me to test something else?

I see.. Maybe Wii U cannot do that.. Can you try to see if USBLoaderGX can read DVDR through vWii ? Or you did that ?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's what I did, but USBloaderGX is waiting for a specific data to even start dumping the disc, while CleanRip tried to do it even if it didn't recognize the format, but failed (maybe because my SD card is full ?)

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah ? I do not think it is because of your SD card might be full is related to it. Thanks for trying, man. ;)

I guess that external hard drive is only a way to do for WBFS/ISO. Unless someone find a way.

Jawepo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I add a question to this line of thought? I want to add homebrew to the wii mode. I already did this to the actual wii and have an external hard drive full of games both wii and gamecube... If I do this will I be able to play those games (gamecube specifically, without regard downloading them) from the hard drive I already have them on? Or would I be forced to read back them up and start them up with a disc again?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, made a new one