WiiU HDMI problem

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Fyrus, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Fyrus
    OP

Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

Jul 6, 2010
    France
    Marseille - France
    Hi there.

I have a Wii U that has apparently slight HDMI problems, which don't come from the cable (Tried changing to a new one to no avail). It makes some colored lines sometimes and cuts sound for very short periods.

I've tried blowing the dust from it but it didn't solve the problem.

Does anyone ever had something similar ? Thank you in advance.

2. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Video chip going? Don't think you can really do much that isn't a stop gap measure if so

3. Fyrus
    OP

Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

Jul 6, 2010
    France
    Marseille - France
    Might be it, but wouldn't it affect the Gamepad screen if it was the case ? Because right now the gamepad video and sound is fine, only the tv output is.

4. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    i wouldn't think so, I might be wrong, but I think the pad has its own display circuitry not affected by whatever seems to be failing.

If you have component/composite cables (ones for the old Wii will work) maybe try those and see what happens.

5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo außer Tiernahrung

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Try a different resolution maybe, I've never had this problem on WiiU (because I set it correctly to 720p right away) but I left my PS3 to the default of 1080p and spent some hours figuring out why, after 10 minutes or so, it would start glitching up and then completely drop out (= what do you expect from a 120 € when new in 2008 720p TV)

6. Fyrus
    OP

Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

Jul 6, 2010
    France
    Marseille - France
    I don't have any of these cables, but I'll be sure to try if I get my hands on them.

Yeah, I tried changing the resolution but it didn't clear up the problem. Note that the TV I have was working fine with the WiiU for the past 4-5 years.

7. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    There is always component... \:

8. YOUCANTSTOPME

YOUCANTSTOPME GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2012
    Canada
    in yo mind
    Or get one of those Wii2HDMI adapters for $5 shipped off eBay. They're great on original Wiis - and yes, they work on Wii U as well (it's basically a component to HDMI adapter).

Beware though, that if the video chip is failing the video out port may stop working as well.

Last edited by YOUCANTSTOPME, Apr 24, 2018
  9. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    Wii2HDMI are really hit or miss if you can get one that can output 720 without messing up.

10. YOUCANTSTOPME

YOUCANTSTOPME GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2012
    Canada
    in yo mind
    I have a couple of them and haven't had any issues... the ones I have didn't upscale which is fine, it just converts the resolution as-is.