WiiU BlackOps2 BSOD Crash?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by T3GZdev, Jul 2, 2015.

1. T3GZdev
    OP

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    I was playing BlackOps2, Team Deathmatch, Hijacked map 1 night.
    we were winning but suddenly i noticed some lag so i go to check the signal/bars i had 0.
    suddenly the disconnected logo was flashing & the game ended, to the the black ops 2 servers were unavailable message. around 2-3 second later the screen turns black showing this.
    which appears to be hex?

pictures of what the gamepad showed:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Pictures of what the tv showed:
    edited pic ov tv that should be easier to see:

iv taken the time to type out all of what showed up. :P

hmm perhaps someone can use this to mod DLC on to the wiiu version of BlackOps2 lol. XD

map names:
    Hijacked = mp_hijacked
    Raid = mp_raid
    Carrier = mp_carrier
    Cargo = mp_dockside

Edit: Fixed broken links.
    Edit2: seems others have reported this too. thanks Arrias.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiu-new-error-bsod.372888/
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/exploitable-black-ops-2-wii-u-crash.373865/

Edit3: (on a side note, not sure if related.)
    around the release of Ghost WiiU maybe a day or 2 later the game was giving errors. putting in the disk & booting would crash at the activision splash & give error codes. an update fixed that. but some time after that right before the nuketown 2025 update BlackOps2 wouldn't boot at all. putting the disk in would give a disk read error. but once the nuketown 2025 update came it suddenly fixed itself? :o

Last edited by T3GZdev, Jul 2, 2015
    wj44 and VinsCool like this.
  2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
  3. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Not sure who or where, but this crash has been brought up before in a another thread. Also, all your images are broken :P

Anyway, the conclusion there is that the crash is not reproducible enough to be reliable, and that it could just be a small serverside problem.

T3GZdev likes this.
  4. T3GZdev
    OP

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    edit: just fixed the broken picture links

5. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    The fact that the stack registers are different in this crash and the other reported ones can indicate that the crash isn't caused by anything specific.

T3GZdev likes this.
  6. T3GZdev
    OP

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    interesting that all of these crashes happen with the same game tho. BlackOps2 WiiU.
    also seems to be on different maps.

Hijacked = mp_hijacked
    Raid = mp_raid
    Carrier = mp_carrier
    ??? = mp_dockside

Last edited by T3GZdev, Jul 2, 2015
  7. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    (maybe it is the new twilight hack :ninja:?)

T3GZdev likes this.
  8. wj44

wj44 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 18, 2015
    Gambia, The
    removed

9. nuwohunk

nuwohunk Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2015
    France
    mp_dockside = Cargo

T3GZdev likes this.
  10. BullyWiiPlaza

BullyWiiPlaza Nintendo Hacking <3

Aug 2, 2014
    Germany
    Freezes keep happening once in a while but nobody really knows why. Sometimes with exception screen and sometimes without. It's probably Treyarch's fault as incompetent as they are at making functioning games. No other game ever froze for me.

T3GZdev likes this.
  11. FaTaL_ErRoR

FaTaL_ErRoR AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ

Mar 9, 2014
    United States
    The fact that the wii u dumps the error on screen is what I find hilarious. Most consoles just freeze but not the wii u it prints the offsets to the stack error right on screen.
    I am sure once the ability to read the ram is public you'll know exactly what caused this issue. And whether or not it would lead to anything else.
    But the fact it did dump to screen really seems to me that the crash was handled. Maybe not in the way a gamer would have wanted it to be.
    Dumping the stack error on screen it's like they are begging for ppl to hack the console.
    But after looking at this again this isn't exploitable at all. It's a disconnected from server error.....
    lol 0x24d7130 jumped on worker 0 and worker 1. And flooded the stack which disconnected you from the server. So maybe if you found the address for which this was caused by then maybe (by maybe thats a huge maybe) it could lead to something.

Last edited by FaTaL_ErRoR, Jul 2, 2015
  12. Marionumber1

Marionumber1 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 7, 2010
    United States
    This is not due to the way the Wii U handles crashes. Any app can register exception handlers, and they can do things like print crash dumps, which is what this game appeared to do. It's Black Ops 2's choice to do this. As for this being a viable bug, until it can be reproduced reliably and without relying on a remote server, I would say that's impossible.

FaTaL_ErRoR likes this.
  13. FaTaL_ErRoR

FaTaL_ErRoR AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ

Mar 9, 2014
    United States
    Agreed, but look at row 4 in the backend. It looks like it loaded at the wrong offset. Those should have seen the same offset accross. It appears server saw x and backend heard y. Then from there everything started moving to read from the wrong offsets. It's definitely a bug but it appears to be on the server side. And without anything from the wii u memory to go off of it would be real hard to determine whether the server loaded it wrong or if the wii u called to the stack at the wrong offset. Wanna give a little clue as to how much memory dumps it would take to find this issue even if you could reproduce? ( I know it's a lot but maybe this black ops crash dump post wouldn't appear as often if you did) And I will go on to say it's damn near impossible it is to attempt to dump the correct location blindly. Taking stabs like this would more than likely take so many years that game wouldn't even be online anymore. And besides that if you were in the console enough to pull the memory would you really need this "maybe" entrypoint?