PS1/2 Emulator WiiStation - Another Fork of WiiSXRX released

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't recommend using a CRT, a pretty awful experience overall.

Untrue, a CRT and 240p is next level retro gaming

Minor visual bugs with lightrec: NFL Blitz 2000 will sometimes flicker players/UI especially during a touchdown, Libero Grande will sometimes have bugged, blocky pure black shadows - not present in Dynarec

Reactions: 0arsoluto

seam1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
uh, is playing the original software on the original hardware not the most authentic experience? I own crts and modern screens as well. What am I on? Pretty sure my statement is nothing to get upset about. If anyone wants to complain about "next level retro gaming" , then just use the original hardware, jeez. This thread is about an emulator running on another console. You will never get the exact experience. I have no issue here, it seems like you guys do. Chill out.

Reactions: SaulFabre

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
do you think something can be done to improve input latency? as it is by default it's very playable but really bad compared to ps1 on wii u.
Some quick latency measurements:

Snes9xRX 5.0 240p Suite: 133ms
fceugx 3.5.1 Megaman: 112ms
Wiistation Rayman: 112ms
[Native]Smash Bros. Melee Character selection: 96ms
Wiistation 240p Suite: 92ms
[Native]Wii 240p Suite: 58ms

This was measured on dolphin with a 240fps phone camera, so don't mind the absolute times in ms. The important data is in the relative differences between apps. It is possible that dolphin has some timing inaccuracies compared to real console though.

But it seems like Wiistation latency is about inline or better than what you can expect with other emulators.

I can't compare it to WiiU apps, or on a WiiU, so that might be different. A PSX emulator natively written for WiiU should usually be preferable I guess.

next level retro gaming

Real next level retro gaming is playing Mario 64 on Not64, which has less latency (55ms measured on CRT) compared to a real N64 (88ms).

Hyllian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm using my Wii hooked to a CRT. I didn't notice any input lag using Gamecube controllers. I have a PS2 fat too and can run PS1 in native psx backward compatibility. The only thing sometimes happen on wistation is fps dropping in some games.

Reactions: SaulFabre

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
CRT's, specially for old consoles are ideal. A Nintendo Wii connected via output component to a tube ray cathode tv looks beautiful, perfect for emulators with 240p video resolution compatibility + minimal input lag. PlayStation games on Wiistation look great connected as mentioned above, I cant recommend the oposite cause is not an awful experience as stated on previous replies. After all we are on a topic about emulation, not real consoles. Facts.

Reactions: seam1 and SaulFabre

Xcali

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
CRTs is like any tv there are bad crts and bad hdtvs, i personally have an LED hdtv and consumer crt tv, i give it away and now i play just on the LED tv that well tell you, crts are not special

Reactions: seam1 and SaulFabre

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
CRTs is like any tv there are bad crts and bad hdtvs, i personally have an LED hdtv and consumer crt tv, i give it away and now i play just on the LED tv that well tell you, crts are not special

I also gave away my CRT and I wish I hadn't. PlayStation really shines in 240p and looks really bad otherwise on a modern flat screen. If there's ever a hardware renderer that can render games at 480p with bilinear filtering though that will be a different story, 480p games generally look better on flat panel imo.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
I also gave away my CRT and I wish I hadn't. PlayStation really shines in 240p and looks really bad otherwise on a modern flat screen. If there's ever a hardware renderer that can render games at 480p with bilinear filtering though that will be a different story, 480p games generally look better on flat panel imo.
i think you have to get a really good CRT TV, such the Sony Trinitron ones.

I'm using my Wii hooked to a CRT. I didn't notice any input lag using Gamecube controllers. I have a PS2 fat too and can run PS1 in native psx backward compatibility. The only thing sometimes happen on wistation is fps dropping in some games.
The PS2 is so great, but compatibility of PS1 games isn't perfect...

On WiiStation, you can try Lightrec for better speed. If FPS still struggles, you can try enabling Interlaced mode and Frame Skip.

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi @Jokippo
I really appreciate your work on WiiStation, thanks for the great updates.
I would like to ask you if it would be possible to add a game covers mode in the future, something similar to the snes9x and Fce ultra gx emulators for example.
Thanks again for your great work

Hopefully pcsx-r cheat support as well in the form of text files.

Reactions: GustavoReis

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Hopefully pcsx-r cheat support as well in the form of text files.

Cheat support would be nice, I think also GameShark for PSX does work as intended or has been reported as being functional, I haven't tried it myself though to verify if that's true.

I personally would love to see the widescreen GTE hack backported from PCSX-R, and the ability to run PAL games at NTSC speeds.
Post automatically merged:

The same for me but I switched back to Dynarec and passed through that stage.

You can actually keep dynarec on for the whole game, it runs full speed regardless. Dynarec is slower but it's much more compatible and is less prone to crashing, adding it back as an optional core was a great idea.
Post automatically merged:

On WiiStation, you can try Lightrec for better speed. If FPS still struggles, you can try enabling Interlaced mode and Frame Skip.

I would not recommend turning on both at the same time, frameskip with interlaced looks horrible - it's one or the other. Frameskip is better for games that have a static camera like devil dice but for games with a dynamic camera it's better to use interlaced.

Last edited by Disorarara,

pounch

Trophies
XP
Country
France
hi everyone,
first of all I would like to thank everyone participating in this project for the incredible work already done, but obviously I also have a question/request about the management of interlaced mode.
My wii is connected in 480p to an LCD TV knowing how to deinterlace a 480i signal without problem, my question is the following, would it be possible to switch the signal to 480i when the emulator launches a game, because the 480p interlaced mode does precisely what is asked of it c i.e. only refresh one line of two instead of the entire screen.

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Disorarara
"Cheat support would be nice, I think also GameShark for PSX does work as intended or has been reported as being functional, I haven't tried it myself though to verify if that's true."

They do, as well as the Codebreaker V3. But manually inputting codes can take a long while. Though my user input codes didn't work on CB V3, only the built in codes.

Also, 480p does work, and the bilinear filter works as well if you prefer it. I don't, but that's me.

@xjsxjs197

"Add Wii Message Board support for write playlog"

Is it possible to disable this? The less NAND writes the better.

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hi everyone,
first of all I would like to thank everyone participating in this project for the incredible work already done, but obviously I also have a question/request about the management of interlaced mode.
My wii is connected in 480p to an LCD TV knowing how to deinterlace a 480i signal without problem, my question is the following, would it be possible to switch the signal to 480i when the emulator launches a game, because the 480p interlaced mode does precisely what is asked of it c i.e. only refresh one line of two instead of the entire screen.
I think I will just force 480i over 480p whenever both 240p and interlaced are selected in the next version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/5fQHvL6iO5k?si=1qrkapNMcghUj07-