PS1/2 Emulator WiiStation - Another Fork of WiiSXRX released

tehtemp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In the meantime... made another fwdr for it if anyone wants. Sig patch enabled (only works when installed to nand) gamepad enabled and points to - sd\apps\wiisxrx\boot.dol
Thanks for another forwarder, Lostbhoy! Just added this to my forwarder list (link in signature).

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Qaztab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can regular wii be overclocked too or thats just a wii u feature?
Yeah, that's a problem on regular Wii.

When I assembled my collection of ISOs for PSX emulation on Wii it became obvious to me after I had a collection that I was happy with that most of them were 2D type games. Ironically, for a console that made it's impact because of 3D gaming, 2D seems to have best performance use of this PSX emulator on regular Wii. 3D games definitely work, but the performance is all over the place. Of particular note I've noticed that 3D fighting games really seem to chug. Racing games seem mostly fine though and Twisted Metal 2 runs great.

On a different note...

Is there a reason this latest build doesn't show up on my homebrew app menu if I put it in it's own directory with an icon and meta.xml and rename it to boot.dol? In order to run this build I've had to go into Wii Explorer and select it off the Apps menu.

On game testing notes:

Rayman - Is the opening FMV intro supposed to be misplaced with the far right side of the animation showing on the left hand side, or is it the ISO I'm using or a setting? Beautiful otherwise.

Blasto - This would freeze up on the title screen in the prior version of 2022. It works now, but an interesting bug. The FMV has some weird right sided graphical artifacts. In Niuus's version the FMV loads and plays fine but has some audio crackling. This version has graphical artifacts on the right side of the screen and no audio crackling.

Ultraman Fighting Evolution - I couldn't get this to work in WiiSXRX before. It's working now. Frame rate isn't all that great, but playable I guess(see above). Weird graphical effect symmetrical pattern of light grid on the city stage I was fighting on. I'm guessing it's supposed to be the parking lot lights.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Can regular wii be overclocked too or thats just a wii u feature?
Remember the Wii is just a simple game console, not a PC.

The Wii U does not "overclock" anything. It just uses the full native speed from the CPU that is already inside for the older software. Almost exactly the same trick Nintendont uses on the Wii.

Is there a reason this latest build doesn't show up on my homebrew app menu if I put it in it's own directory with an icon and meta.xml and rename it to boot.dol? In order to run this build I've had to go into Wii Explorer and select it off the Apps menu.
Worked without issues for me on the HBC. May be a problem with your xml, had those issues before.

xjsxjs197

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
---------------------------------------------------------2022/09/03 update--------------------------------------------------------------
Revised content of the new version
1: The problem that the sound pitch is too fast has also been solved, and many game sounds have become correct.
2: Basically, it supports CDDA. Please help test the multi track games.
3: Except the cdda part, the CDROM code of pcsxReArm has almost been merged.
The compatibility of the game has been further improved, and some more games can be run.
4: Other minor amendments

Dakangel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
---------------------------------------------------------2022/09/03 update--------------------------------------------------------------
1: The problem that the sound pitch is too fast has also been solved, and many game sounds have become correct.
The compatibility of the game has been further improved, and some more games can be run.
Thank you for all the hard work you are done so far, i draw a different icon for your emulator to diferentiate from the other versions and because yours is the most advanced.
I hope you and all users liked.

Attachments

• icon.png
    icon.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 28

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
thanks a lot you have given new life to ps1 emulation on the wii single handly, i never tough we would get cdda and game compatibility improved like this :bow:
:bow:

GustavoReis

GameCube and wii lover
Trophies
Website
mundowiihack.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you @xjsxjs197
Psx emulation on wii is great!!

xunga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
@xjsxjs197 This last version works quite well on my original Wii 4.3 except for the fact that every time I close the emulator I get a code dump. Tested also with a clean install.

I would like to add that Crusader No Remorse already plays music :)

It's a great advance in the console compatibility list. Thank you very much.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@xjsxjs197 This last version works quite well on my original Wii 4.3 except for the fact that every time I close the emulator I get a code dump. Tested also with a clean install.

I would like to add that Crusader No Remorse already plays music :)

It's a great advance in the console compatibility list. Thank you very much.
maybe a bad file? tryed deleting your config file and dol and redownload?

Qaztab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's incredible that that screen tear issue was fixed really not that long ago and at the time I thought "this is as good as it gets!" And was content with the small collection of games I had and how that tiny fix made them much more enjoyable/playable. Never thought I'd see PSX emulation jump to this point on Wii from there. xjsxjs197's work has been unbelievable. My small collection has now grown considerably. (btw, Niuus, I fixed my xml issue, thanks for the tip!)

On a side note, for some reason I filled my BIOS folder with a crap pile of psx BIOS files ages ago. I probably was looking for the basic BIOS, found a zip that had them all and just unzipped them there. Is there any reason I might need access to more than one? I remember some posts about a certain BIOS squeezing out a couple extra FPS, but that seemed kind of controversial. Is that still a thing with xjsxjs197's latest work? Was that ever a real thing or just a placebo effect?

Further Testing:

Touki Denshou - Angel Eyes - doesn't load in 2022. You get some text with the file name under the PSX boot up logo and it halts. It does load in Niuus's 2.7, but has some minor graphical artifacts with the sprites that aren't immediately obvious.

Rampage Universal Tour / Rampage Through Time - These games were working before, but have graphical glitches with the character sprites. You'll often see a vertical line on the right side of your character sprite. It's just enough to be annoying. Those glitches are still present. Rampage World Tour is unaffected.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
On a side note, for some reason I filled my BIOS folder with a crap pile of psx BIOS files ages ago. I probably was looking for the basic BIOS, found a zip that had them all and just unzipped them there. Is there any reason I might need access to more than one?
You don't. It was never needed on the Wii. That's mostly myths created and dragged from the PSEmu era of emulation on PC, we are talking more than 20 years., when it was needed.

I remember some posts about a certain BIOS squeezing out a couple extra FPS, but that seemed kind of controversial. Is that still a thing with xjsxjs197's latest work? Was that ever a real thing or just a placebo effect?
There was never a controversy, afaik. The work doesn't change it. There's a technical reason for the so-called extra FPS. What most people blindly recommending the "secret bios" don't tell you, is that the gain is very, very low, and for very few titles, most useful for weak low-power platforms. It's up to you at the end if you really need it, 99% don't.

thanks a lot you have given new life to ps1 emulation on the wii single handly
He adapted code from years of experience and work already done for a decade (PCSX, PCSX-R, PCSX-Reloaded, PCSX-df, PCSX-Redux, PCSX ReARMed), built on top of the foundation created by emu_kidid, sepp256, and tehpola. Always be mindful and respectful of that, as "single handly" (sic) negates that fact, and the energy invested by everyone involved. What you can undoubtedly thank fella coder @xjsxjs197 is the use of his free time and will to update the Wii emulator yet again, and dealing with the flood of inane game and feature requests associated with it (as seen in his Issues page on the Github), which was always able to come to this point, even though most rom kiddiez said it was not possible, only because of their downloaded games not running.

Thank you for all the hard work you are done so far, i draw a different icon for your emulator to diferentiate from the other versions and because yours is the most advanced.
I hope you and all users liked.
This is a good proposal, as the temporary name given to this fork has been a headache with people not knowing which emulator is different, as even the logo used was straight lifted from what I created in 2020. Reminds me of the Wii / Wii U debacle. WiiStation sounds cool for a 1.0 release, which from the looks of the new release is a pretty solid candidate.

Last edited by niuus,

xjsxjs197

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
This is a good proposal, as the temporary name given to this fork has been a headache with people not knowing which emulator is different, as even the logo used was straight lifted from what I created in 2020. Reminds me of the Wii / Wii U debacle. WiiStation sounds cool for a 1.0 release, which from the looks of the new release is a pretty solid candidate.
@niuus @Dakangel Thank very much.
This is really a very good suggestion. If there is a further update in the next version, the name of the emulator is wiistation

rexus_pl

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My first impressions (doing only a few tests):
- compatibility is growing on every release - eg. Croc 2 works fine
- hiding unnesesery files on file list works fine
- CDDA works fine
- sound pitch still needs some work - you can hear it in Pepsiman
- generic (fake) controllers now don't work at all (I get code dump every time I connect it) - sadly, this is a regression (last version I tested they work - maybe not great, but some games were playable); these controllers work flawlessly on WiiSXRX 2.6 by niuus (and I know they sucks, but I think I'm not only one owning them)
- emulator can't load BIN file without CUE (not a big problem, but earlier versions can do it)

So - thank you @xjsxjs197 for your work. Thanks to all people whose code is in this emulator. I'll try to find some useful key configuration for Wiimote and Wiimote + Nunchuck, and try to test some games (and - most important - having fun playing it). And... waiting impatiently for WiiSTATION 1.0 :)

BTW. Where is that guy who keeps on whining, that he can't play some PSX games on Wii? He should be there, writing poems for @xjsxjs197 glory :)

xunga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
@rexus_pl Use if you want my configuration for wiimote nunchuk, with this I play perfectly all games.

The first configuration is the one I use by default, the second one I change square by circle because I like it more for games like Spyro, the third one I modify the R and L buttons for games that usually use those buttons to control the camera like Sheep Raider or Soul Reaver, and the fourth and last configuration is the previous one changing square by circle again.

About the emulator not being able to load bin files without the corresponding cue file, I can play the games only with the .bin file, only the multitrack cdda games need their .cue file.

For example, I just played Castlevania Symphony of the Night (finally I can hear the sound in the videos) and Crusader with its bin file without problems.

Attachments

• wiisxrx controls wiimote nunchuk.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by xunga,

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
@xjsxjs197 Thanks a LOT FOR THIS NEW update!!!
Rayman 1 works now, i'm gonna playing it! :D

- sound pitch still needs some work - you can hear it in Pepsiman
@rexus_pl

Main PS1 sound has its pitch fixed, but CDDA music hears like high-pitched. @xjsxjs197, any chance for look what's causing the emulated CDDA audio to be high-pitched?
Still enjoying this cool feature now on WiiSXRX_2022, it's better playing the games with all the sound the game have instead of just SFX (sound effects). :)

Crash team racing - have minor glitchs
@GustavoReis

Minor GFX glitches now? I need to test this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 📚 🗒️ ✏️ 🤓 +1