Hacking Wiis with solder point missing ever found?

Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
There were those pics that came out showing that Nintendo was removing one of the points so we would have to solder directly to the chip not too long ago.

Has anyone run across any of them in a real life? I ask because I am offering my soldering skills to some people and don't want to end up with one of those, as I can't guarantee much with those...

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have any sort of real solder skills, you should have absolutely no problem soldering the one wire to the leg of the IC chip....

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
prob no longer needed so removed or perhaps it was moved but 1 wire is no big deal i think. kinda like modding a ps2 but just 1 wire heh. mod a few ps2 slims, you'll feel confident at soldering to chip leg and find it way easier, also you'll no longer want to mod a ps2 after a few. ps2 makes my eye strain like crazy, not to mention counting pads or pins with my tweezers...

Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I've soldered to things smaller before without a problem. My issue, as I said, was that I cannot give guarantees, as I do not have the info on which chip leg, etc yet.

So has anyone seen new Wiis without this soldering point? I just want to know what to expect. Maybe it was all a hoax?

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have any sort of real solder skills, you should have absolutely no problem soldering the one wire to the leg of the IC chip....
Bingo. Bottom line is that you shouldn't offer modding services if you don't feel you have the skills to do the job (or have the ability to replace a console if you break it!)

Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
No shit. You have missed my point.

I can't guarantee because I am uneducated about the specifics (as which leg, etc).

What you are saying is the equivalent of "you shouldn't offer to fix hondas if you can't fix toyotas too!" They're slightly different.

Anyhow, now that I've looked at some of my pics and see the size of the area to solder for the leg, I really don't think it would be a problem.

Back to my first damn question, if any of you fuckers would focus on that...

HAVE ANY OF THESE WIIs SURFACED YET? Especially in the US?

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've installed chips in the US on four consoles purchased after April 1 and none of them are a new board revision. All were D2B chipsets.

If all else fails just install a WiiFree instead of Wiikey, as only the WiiKey is affected by any of the images we have seen. But like I said, I don't think these are stateside yet - if they will ever be. I have a feeling that these were all NTSC-J or something consoles, so the -U consoles don't have the change.

Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for addressing the real question guys!
smile.gif

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here you go, I found this on the WiiNewz forum.

12464-taiwan-news-nintendo-wii-have-new-motherboard-wiikey-circuit2_gaixgtcqxu5s.jpg

Hopefully that shows up for everyone. It's in this post:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/wiifree-develo...otherboard.html

Even if that's wrong the point remains the same. The pin on the chip hasn't changed, so just find a picture with the install point you would have used and follow the trace in that image to the chip. Use that pin in the new board layout. But like I said before, you probably won't have to worry about it.

Winner6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i unfortunatly ripped on of the contacts off the wii dvd drive board and had to locate where it was conencted to. i had to carefully soldier it onto the ic leg. was worried i mite over heat it. i made sure i used the lowest wat iron i could get (12w)

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I must say this thread has a certain entertaining quality... has anybody read Terry Pratchet and know the city Ankh-Morpork?
biggrin.gif
@ Louse76: You sure you don't want to be talking about soldering small things instead? Really, really sure? At least that's what everybody else wants to talk about.
tongue.gif

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
worried i mite over heat it.

It's better to use more heat and get the job done instead of prolonging contact with the chip.
A quick burst of heat, like say the wave soldering machine they use to make these things, will mostly dissapate within the plastic of the package.
If you heat a leg for ages trying to get your solder hot enough to bond chances are the heat will build up and follow the leg into the die of the chip. If it doesn't work off the bat, wait and let it cool, don't just keep prodding it with the iron.

That said I had the exhaust of a gas soldering iron grilling one of my chips with out me noticing and it works fine.
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY