Wiimote vertical range improvement?

koz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

There is always going to be an offset problem between the wii pointer and the the screen due to the sensor bar location.

One modification is to add a mobile phone fisheye lens or wide angle lens attachment to the end of the wiimote.

These are fairly cheap and widely available and you can find a better permanent solution once you prototype it out.

If centered properly on the optical axis it should give the wiimote a wider field of view .

You will have to experiment but it will work.

Thanks.

Reactions: newo

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

There is always going to be an offset problem between the wii pointer and the the screen due to the sensor bar location.

One modification is to add a mobile phone fisheye lens or wide angle lens attachment to the end of the wiimote.

These are fairly cheap and widely available and you can find a better permanent solution once you prototype it out.

If centered properly on the optical axis it should give the wiimote a wider field of view .

You will have to experiment but it will work.

Thanks.
That sounds crazy as hell but if it works it works

eXtremeDevil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I ended up moving myself to a little further part of my sofa, to try to make a bit more distance between me and the sensor bar. It's not as comfortable as where I usually sit (which has a straight view to the TV), but since my TV can be moved on the x-axis thanks to a vertical support, it is also not terrible.

I tried every position, angle and combination (including with candles, not only with the sensor bar that has fixed distance between IR lights) and, apart from the fisheye trick, I think there's nothing more left to do. My living room distance is just what it is. I noticed minor differences in calibrations tests across different games, meaning that maybe some games have better aiming/range/whatever, so I guess there's nothing much left to try. Thanks to all on this thread who helped me and gave me advices and tips!

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Not too long ago, I've modified a Wii Sensor Bar to be able to use it while emulating on Dolphin on my PC, by replacing the connector and its cable with a USB cable long enough to be able to connect it on a front USB port on my computer.

Beside this, I had to modify the circuit to be able to power it using only 5V, instead of 12V that the Wii provides to the Sensor Bar.

Each side of the sensor bar had 5 LEDs, the two outer LEDs from each 5 LED set was pointing out and the three inner ones were pointing straight to the front, something like this:
Firefox_Screenshot_2023-11-23T09-46-36.977Z.png

The middle double line, resembles two wires connecting both "sets" to the wires going to the Wii console. Each "set" has a resistor to protect them from over voltage.

Afaik, the Wii provides 12V to the sensor bar and each set of 5 LEDs receives the same 12V where each LED is connected in series.

Consider now that the light from such leds is distributed so it covers more horizontal area than vertical, so my suggestion would be to add two LEDs (or modify each set), so (preferably in the middle of each set) one LED points upwards and one LED points downwards at a certain angle, so the light of said LEDs would cover more vertical area for the WiiMote to register it.

That might improve the vertical recognition of the WiiMote solving you issue, but might also provide some extra light to make the wiimote "dizzy".

Hope I made myself clear enough.

Last edited by CMDreamer,
Reactions: newo

eXtremeDevil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Not too long ago, I've modified a Wii Sensor Bar to be able to use it while emulating on Dolphin on my PC, by replacing the connector and its cable with a USB cable long enough to be able to connect it on a front USB port on my computer.

Beside this, I had to modify the circuit to be able to power it using only 5V, instead of 12V that the Wii provides to the Sensor Bar.

Each side of the sensor bar had 5 LEDs, the two outer LEDs from each 5 LED set was pointing out and the three inner ones were pointing straight to the front, something like this:
View attachment 405541

The middle double line, resembles two wires connecting both "sets" to the wires going to the Wii console. Each "set" has a resistor to protect them from over voltage.

Afaik, the Wii provides 12V to the sensor bar and each set of 5 LEDs receives the same 12V where each LED is connected in series.

Consider now that the light from such leds is distributed so it covers more horizontal area than vertical, so my suggestion would be to add two LEDs (or modify each set), so (preferably in the middle of each set) one LED points upwards and one LED points downwards at a certain angle, so the light of said LEDs would cover more vertical area for the WiiMote to register it.

That might improve the vertical recognition of the WiiMote solving you issue, but might also provide some extra light to make the wiimote "dizzy".

Hope I made myself clear enough.
Could be another solution, I will try if I have the time, thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1