Bricked unmodded WiiU during update, no backups - next steps?

Squeaky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I'm obviously new here, and spent the day struggling to understand my options and want to make sure I haven't missed anything. And maybe this run-through list will help someone in the future. I'm hoping folks here can verify my troubleshooting logic and provide some advice?

So...here's the circumstances:
1. I have a WiiU Deluxe, completely umodded. I'm the original owner and I've kept it in top shape.
2. Was using it every other day for the last month, and as of last month know it was able to connect to the internet because I updated it to Ver. 5.5.5 and removed some internet apps that I knew no longer worked like Netflix.
3. I was attempting to update to 5.5.6
4. Stopped at 76% for 90 min. I have a decent internet speed
5. Verified it was no longer connected to my router. Disconnected the router anyway, hoping it would eventually complain about a loss of internet and prompt me to update again
6. Another 80ish minute later, had a power brownout and of course, it was quite unhappy. I don't think it would have mattered if it was a brownout or me pushing the power button at that point.
7. Would only reboot holding down the power key/unplugging. Could get to the complaint about using the power button, and then would stick on "Please wit"
8. A few boots after that, was able to get to the WiiU title screen with startup music for a few seconds. It would briefly connect to the internet for a few seconds on 2.5GHz has expected, then freeze
9. Currently, after swapping to a new battery (or coincidence) I can turn it on with gamepad, wiimote, or power button, but does not connect from there to tv or gamepad, or internet. Gamepad complains it can't connect and to move closer, and the Wiimote doesn't stay connected. The devices's red/blue lights seems normal, I can hear the drive fire up and it can accept and eject a game disc. It'll stay on the blue light.

What I've done to troubleshoot:
1. Verified the device had permissions to connect to my wifi
2. Verified my HDMI cable is okay as well as the port on my tv
3. Tried to boot to the Wii menu holding down the B button on both wiimote and gamepad
4.. Moved the gamepad to another room and rebooted the WiiU while connected to the tv
5. When it was still booting to the WiiU title screen, left it there for two hours
6. Unplugged, waited some minutes, held the power button down for 15 seconds, reconnected power
7. Changed the battery and after that...
8. With no visible connnection now, still left it on for some hours

From what I understand:
1. Since I can't reach the internet, I can't factory reset or use Tiramisu
2. I can't hardmod because I don't have a backup of otp.bin or slc.bin, and that's because I can't launch from the Wii menu?
3. Bluubomb probably won't work for this type of issue because I don't have a preloader already on the machine?

I'm not sure exactly what went wrong, but with the timing of the issue am fairly sure it wasn't (initially) any sort of hardware failure. So, I'm not quite sure of what to research next, or if I'm at the end of my options. Thanks for any help in advance!

• Sad
Reactions: Pin1988

IronmanSS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I'm obviously new here, and spent the day struggling to understand my options and want to make sure I haven't missed anything. And maybe this run-through list will help someone in the future. I'm hoping folks here can verify my troubleshooting logic and provide some advice?

So...here's the circumstances:
1. I have a WiiU Deluxe, completely umodded. I'm the original owner and I've kept it in top shape.
2. Was using it every other day for the last month, and as of last month know it was able to connect to the internet because I updated it to Ver. 5.5.5 and removed some internet apps that I knew no longer worked like Netflix.
3. I was attempting to update to 5.5.6
4. Stopped at 76% for 90 min. I have a decent internet speed
5. Verified it was no longer connected to my router. Disconnected the router anyway, hoping it would eventually complain about a loss of internet and prompt me to update again
6. Another 80ish minute later, had a power brownout and of course, it was quite unhappy. I don't think it would have mattered if it was a brownout or me pushing the power button at that point.
7. Would only reboot holding down the power key/unplugging. Could get to the complaint about using the power button, and then would stick on "Please wit"
8. A few boots after that, was able to get to the WiiU title screen with startup music for a few seconds. It would briefly connect to the internet for a few seconds on 2.5GHz has expected, then freeze
9. Currently, after swapping to a new battery (or coincidence) I can turn it on with gamepad, wiimote, or power button, but does not connect from there to tv or gamepad, or internet. Gamepad complains it can't connect and to move closer, and the Wiimote doesn't stay connected. The devices's red/blue lights seems normal, I can hear the drive fire up and it can accept and eject a game disc. It'll stay on the blue light.

What I've done to troubleshoot:
1. Verified the device had permissions to connect to my wifi
2. Verified my HDMI cable is okay as well as the port on my tv
3. Tried to boot to the Wii menu holding down the B button on both wiimote and gamepad
4.. Moved the gamepad to another room and rebooted the WiiU while connected to the tv
5. When it was still booting to the WiiU title screen, left it there for two hours
6. Unplugged, waited some minutes, held the power button down for 15 seconds, reconnected power
7. Changed the battery and after that...
8. With no visible connnection now, still left it on for some hours

From what I understand:
1. Since I can't reach the internet, I can't factory reset or use Tiramisu
2. I can't hardmod because I don't have a backup of otp.bin or slc.bin, and that's because I can't launch from the Wii menu?
3. Bluubomb probably won't work for this type of issue because I don't have a preloader already on the machine?

I'm not sure exactly what went wrong, but with the timing of the issue am fairly sure it wasn't (initially) any sort of hardware failure. So, I'm not quite sure of what to research next, or if I'm at the end of my options. Thanks for any help in advance!
5.5.6 update bricked my Wii U as well. Hung at about 70% updated, then told me it failed to install and gave an error code. Now you can only boot it to the user select screen and it has 10 seconds max before it locks up frozen needing a forced power down. Yay Nintendo…

CrazySquid

Trophies
XP
Country
An idea I have to try to fix this is using Gary's recovery menu, and reinstall via WUP the files that the update failed to replace... those are Wii U Menu, VersionData and User Settings.
If interested and have access to the recovery menu, I have downloaded those files from NUS, so I can upload them here.

SpicyMcHagis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Squeaky

I just solved this exact issue. The 76% lock up and everything. Here is what I did:

Get a Lan adapter.
Connect an ethernet cable.
Turn on the Wii U and wait a bit.
Reboot the Wii U.
That should solve your issue.

I tried everything else I could but this solved my issue. I found the solution in this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/black-screen-of-death.538951/post-8663743

Last edited by SpicyMcHagis,
Reactions: Pin1988 and Robru1

Squeaky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
5.5.6 update bricked my Wii U as well. Hung at about 70% updated, then told me it failed to install and gave an error code. Now you can only boot it to the user select screen and it has 10 seconds max before it locks up frozen needing a forced power down. Yay Nintendo…
Maybe the replies below can help you, too!

Squeaky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An idea I have to try to fix this is using Gary's recovery menu, and reinstall via WUP the files that the update failed to replace... those are Wii U Menu, VersionData and User Settings.
If interested and have access to the recovery menu, I have downloaded those files from NUS, so I can upload them here.
That's a great idea, @CrazySquid . I know a bunch of people that are likely to have a Raspberry Pico or Zero I can borrow from since they are mostly out of stock right now. And I do have an unmodded Switch so I can look into that as well. I'll try the LAN adapter idea first, but either way will let everyone know how it goes.

Reactions: CrazySquid

Squeaky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Squeaky

I just solved this exact issue. The 76% lock up and everything. Here is what I did:

Get a Lan adapter.
Connect an ethernet cable.
Turn on the Wii U and wait a bit.
Reboot the Wii U.
That should solve your issue.

I tried everything else I could but this solved my issue. I found the solution in this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/black-screen-of-death.538951/post-8663743
@SpicyMcHagis - I'll give this a shot first! I should easily be able to borrow an adapter in the next few days because I work with a bunch of nerds and it seems like the easiest possible solution :)

CrazySquid

Trophies
XP
Country
That's a great idea, @CrazySquid . I know a bunch of people that are likely to have a Raspberry Pico or Zero I can borrow from since they are mostly out of stock right now. And I do have an unmodded Switch so I can look into that as well. I'll try the LAN adapter idea first, but either way will let everyone know how it goes.
Great! Let us know how it goes, my Wii U is in a similar situation since it doesn't boot either (stuck on Wii U logo).
Just leaving this as a curiosity, but my Wii U still connects to the internet even via Wi-Fi (according to my modem).
1662491803845.png

Either way, I will look forward to your results, I'm a bit skeptical because I did not find a reliable source for the claims of the user in the other thread, I do have a LAN Adapter but it's the HORI Switch one, which I regret buying... (Doesn't work with the Wii U, it's Switch only, also USB2).

EDIT: The U just disconnected, seems it stays connected for a short time and then disconnects.

Squeaky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great! Let us know how it goes, my Wii U is in a similar situation since it doesn't boot either (stuck on Wii U logo).
Just leaving this as a curiosity, but my Wii U still connects to the internet even via Wi-Fi (according to my modem).
View attachment 325957
Either way, I will look forward to your results, I'm a bit skeptical because I did not find a reliable source for the claims of the user in the other thread, I do have a LAN Adapter but it's the HORI Switch one, which I regret buying... (Doesn't work with the Wii U, it's Switch only, also USB2).

EDIT: The U just disconnected, seems it stays connected for a short time and then disconnects.
Darn. This is a "no for me, but maybe works for you". I'm pretty sure I'm on IPv4, and had the adapter on the front usb port for 3 hours, and the back port for an hour. No audio or visible change during this time. I only have solid red and blue lights. No standby orange or blinking. The device isn't being recognized on the router, but I know the adapter works as I tested my computer on it.

I used to be stuck on the WiiU menu for a few moments and had the brief connection, but no longer do. Since your system still has a chance I'd say give it a shot. Laptops from the past few years tend to come with a LAN adapter since Ethernet ports are passe, so if you ask around your circle you might have someone who has a LAN adapter with USB-A.

For Gary's option I just noticed the wording of "unpatched Switch" when I read it as "unmodded Switch" so I'm back to borrowing a Raspberry Zero or Pico.

CrazySquid

Trophies
XP
Country
Darn. This is a "no for me, but maybe works for you". I'm pretty sure I'm on IPv4, and had the adapter on the front usb port for 3 hours, and the back port for an hour. No audio or visible change during this time. I only have solid red and blue lights. No standby orange or blinking. The device isn't being recognized on the router, but I know the adapter works as I tested my computer on it.

I used to be stuck on the WiiU menu for a few moments and had the brief connection, but no longer do. Since your system still has a chance I'd say give it a shot. Laptops from the past few years tend to come with a LAN adapter since Ethernet ports are passe, so if you ask around your circle you might have someone who has a LAN adapter with USB-A.

For Gary's option I just noticed the wording of "unpatched Switch" when I read it as "unmodded Switch" so I'm back to borrowing a Raspberry Zero or Pico.
Sorry to read that it didn't work, yeah I tried another USB Ethernet I had lying aroud, but it didn't work either because it has the ASIX AX88179 chipset, the Wii/WiiU works with ethernet adapters that have the ASIX AX88772 chipset only.
I found a site in my country that sells a cheap USB 2.0 LAN adapter that seems to have the required chipset, so maybe I will try it since it costs around 5 bucks, but for now I will just keep trying some more stuff in my side before buying anything.
By removing the CMOS battery I messed up the system date on my U, so I don't know how the machine is logging stuff now (because it seems it has a 2021 time). I want to use WUPServer to see if I can delete the current logs and start fresh, and see what's actually happening under the hood. Just need to learn how to use WUPClient.

Edit:Managed to do it, and yeah, the new logs always stops at the ODM Fatal Error, so it's a hardware issue on my end.

Last edited by CrazySquid,

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 325957

Out of curiosity. Why go through the effort to block the MAC Address? It isnt exactly an important thing to hide. It only has to do with physical connections.

Squeaky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still waiting to see if I can borrow a pico or zero but it may take a bit of time.

I do have a Wii with a broken disc reader (which is why I got the WiiU in the first place) and may consider buying a replacement drive to do the repair as a side project. I sort of feel like I need a "fixed it!" win here :P

IronmanSS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No luck for me with the LAN adapter. I can get it to boot to the user select screen, but it freezes into a hard lockup after a few seconds. If I reset it enough times, I can get it to shut down into a proper standby mode where the orange light comes on and it appears to be using the LAN adapter to check for an update. But it never blinks, and after a minute or so goes back to red where nothing has changed. Must be freezing during the auto update process as well. RIP Wii U.

Squeaky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to purchase an RPi Pico, but no luck. Can't tell if I'm doing something wrong as I'm struggling to understand how Github documentation and compiling works. I've flashed udpih.uf2 onto an RPi Pico, and the SD card in my WiiU has one file, recovery_menu (renamed from recovery_menu_dc_init since I have display issues). Since I don't get a WiiU menu icon in the first place, I've been plugging in the Pico based off of the disc drive sound I see in the videos.

Not sure if I need all the other files listed in the recovery_menu documentation like the ios_kernel, or if I'm supposed to try and build the dockerfile.

CrazySquid

Trophies
XP
Country
I was able to purchase an RPi Pico, but no luck. Can't tell if I'm doing something wrong as I'm struggling to understand how Github documentation and compiling works. I've flashed udpih.uf2 onto an RPi Pico, and the SD card in my WiiU has one file, recovery_menu (renamed from recovery_menu_dc_init since I have display issues). Since I don't get a WiiU menu icon in the first place, I've been plugging in the Pico based off of the disc drive sound I see in the videos.

Not sure if I need all the other files listed in the recovery_menu documentation like the ios_kernel, or if I'm supposed to try and build the dockerfile.
Since I have used a Switch for this, I don't know how it works on a RPi, but you can try to ask in the recovery menu thread.
Before you installing anything, it would be interesting to check your Cafe OS logs, because my Wii U stopped working in a similar manner (working normally, crashed in FTPiiU and stopped working after that).
Then the logs says it's a ODM issue, I'm interested in knowing if maybe you have the same problem as me there since my Wii U prior to the 5.5.6U update was working perfectly well.

Squeaky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I have used a Switch for this, I don't know how it works on a RPi, but you can try to ask in the recovery menu thread.
Before you installing anything, it would be interesting to check your Cafe OS logs, because my Wii U stopped working in a similar manner (working normally, crashed in FTPiiU and stopped working after that).
Then the logs says it's a ODM issue, I'm interested in knowing if maybe you have the same problem as me there since my Wii U prior to the 5.5.6U update was working perfectly well.
Yes, good suggestion, I'll ask on the other thread. I'm glad you were able to make progress on your device. I'm not sure how to get those logs unless I can bring up that recovery menu unless there's some other method.

Squeaky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you not have backups of anything? That should be the first thing people do when exploiting a system.
I never tried to exploit the system at all, hence me being new to this forum :) I'm really just trying to recover from this brick. You can bet I'll be backing it up and modding afterwards if I can.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol