GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Assuming I only have a:
15W soldering iron.
Triwing/Normal screwdriver

What is all I need/may need to install a Wiikey (long wire)? What type of wire should I buy? What kind of solder and flux should I use? It would be nice if someone posted a detailed guide for a long wire installation (all I can find are short wire/quick solder guides). Thanks.
wub.gif

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
all I can find are short wire/quick solder guides

Use the short wire guide... but use longer wires.
biggrin.gif
I think the "short wires" he is referring to are when people just use small pieces of uninsulated wire when they solder the chip directly to the board.

The answer is Kynar 30 gauge.

Please read the stickied topics: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=43534 as all the answers are there.

Dylaan

Trophies
XP
Country
From experience, the length of the wires make a huge difference in the performance of the chip. I had wires about 10cm long, and it took ages to recognize the disc, and I had to reboot every time I wanted to swap backups. Took it to an installer, they short-wired it, and works perfect!

betawind

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From experience, the length of the wires make a huge difference in the performance of the chip. I had wires about 10cm long, and it took ages to recognize the disc, and I had to reboot every time I wanted to swap backups. Took it to an installer, they short-wired it, and works perfect!

Wow, those are long wires! I think I used maybe a third to a half of that? Games did take a while to detect on my console (about 5-10 seconds) until the Wiikey 1.9g beta update, now its incredibly quick.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Wow, those are long wires! I think I used maybe a third to a half of that? Games did take a while to detect on my console (about 5-10 seconds) until the Wiikey 1.9g beta update, now its incredibly quick.

That's weird, the 1.9g update actually makes my wii take a very tiny bit longer than usual for the disc to get recognized. I figured it was the extra stealth code transmission.
I wonder what's up with that.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
All the installation videos have been removed by the ESA.
frown.gif

Can I use a heatsink (pliers) to make sure that my board doesn't get damaged? Where would I clip it?

Is flux necessary? If so, how do I use it?
rofl2.gif

Also, exactly how small are the points to solder?

Thanks, you guys are the best.
bow.gif

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Check the Wlip site: http://www.wlip.es/indexEnglish.html and watch the demo video. It's obviously not a WiiKey install but you can watch them take apart a Wii, install their product, and reassemble in about 10 minutes.

Also check back in the forums for a thread offering pics of mod chip installs. You can get lots of good advice there as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, I know what it is. :creep: