Hacking Wiikey Update 1.9s

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:
Knocks said:
Just leak the fucking thing already. 99% of people don't give a shit that it's beta. It's bad enough to have waited over two weeks to play a legally purchased copy of NOA's biggest release ever.

Team Wiikey: seed the beta TODAY and your sins may be repented.

Cry me a river. You can wait a few more days without killing yourself.
How do we know it won't turn into another 1.9b beta ordeal?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
coolbho3000 said:
arctic_flame said:
Knocks said:
Just leak the fucking thing already. 99% of people don't give a shit that it's beta. It's bad enough to have waited over two weeks to play a legally purchased copy of NOA's biggest release ever.

We don't, but seeing as they're communicating this time it probably won't.

If one was so desperate to play their original brawl, they could have desoldered/converted their modchip. If they can't do that, they're in no position to whine about it.

coolbho3000

Trophies
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:
coolbho3000 said:
arctic_flame said:
Knocks said:

We don't, but seeing as they're communicating this time it probably won't.

If one was so desperate to play their original brawl, they could have desoldered/converted their modchip. If they can't do that, they're in no position to whine about it.
And why not?
yaynds.gif

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
They've paid someone to install a device in their wii that will enable them to play pirated games. They don't know how said device works and nor do they care. I mod things because I enjoy the experience, and like to get into the guts of things to see how they work. I'm just as interested in homebrew as piracy. I feel I would be justified in complaining, as I would at least be able to put up an argument that holds water.

The bottom line is, people who whine after getting things for free deserve nothing.

mastermanna123

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Knocks said:

You sir, are an idiot.

I would rather have the Wiikey Team take another week (not that i want that) testing it and fixing the bugs in their new update, rather than just sending out an imperfect release with a lot of bugs and nothing new, thus making ppl hate them more for causing their wii's to brick, or somethin else bad.

The longer we wait for the update release, the better the product. same thing with Halo 3 and GTA: IV.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Even though I'm a yaosm user myself , I still think that the wiikey team are definitely the most talented wii modchip makers out there.

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
mastermanna123 said:
You sir, are an idiot.

I would rather have the Wiikey Team take another week (not that i want that) testing it and fixing the bugs in their new update, rather than just sending out an imperfect release with a lot of bugs and nothing new, thus making ppl hate them more for causing their wii's to brick, or somethin else bad.

The longer we wait for the update release, the better the product. same thing with Halo 3 and GTA: IV.

If you compare adding a few bytes of code to enable DL support to developing a triple-A game like GTA or Halo, then I have no words for you.

Team Wiikey/Xeno can add all the features they want later, but people expect at the very least their original games to work with their modchip. They've already fucked up by taking so long to fix it and are now desperately adding features like update blocker because they are afraid of a backlash against their other products, and rightly so.

coolbho3000

Trophies
XP
Country
@mastermanna: Halo 3 didn't live up to expectations, and no one knows how good GTAIV will be.

Unlike Microsoft or Rockstar, Team Xeno owes us an update. Many of us, including myself, bought genuine Wiikeys. We paid good money for the chip, so we should at least get basic service (especially for such a major issue like the SSBB originals bug). I don't just see why they can't release the beta update now, with a huge disclaimer "THIS IS BETA, INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK - " just like what they did with 1.9g.

On the Wiikey site, it promised "cool features to come." This is one of the features I paid for when I bought the Wiikey. Now I don't care, I just want the bugs to be fixed.

Legah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
how about we start a NEW thread with endless discussions about how GOOD/BAD the wiikey team is?? And leave this f---ing thread be for news about Wiikey Update 1.9s ??

Sounds perfect to me.

Neznat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:
They've paid someone to install a device in their wii that will enable them to play pirated games. They don't know how said device works and nor do they care. I mod things because I enjoy the experience, and like to get into the guts of things to see how they work. I'm just as interested in homebrew as piracy. I feel I would be justified in complaining, as I would at least be able to put up an argument that holds water.

The bottom line is, people who whine after getting things for free deserve nothing.

Bit of a sweeping generalisation there mate. I'm way too inexperienced to risk my Wii through a botched installation, but I love to play around with software and the like.

Anyway, this dev mode seems interesting, I hope they give us a decent explanation on release.

lombers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I still don't understand these people who claim they paid for a product and they deserve support.

They don't deserve it and they didn't pay for support. Like it or not the Wiikey works. Yes it has an issue with one game (SSBB retail), and they are working on a fix. People should be happy that the Wiikey team provides support at all. I'm sure there are other companies out there that sell products that are capable of updates, and then release nothing for it.

Take this case as an example. Where I currently work we pay a crapload of money to Cisco for support and maintenance every year. The Wiikey team don't charge people for updates, and considering the modchip retails here for around $30AUD that doesn't entitle you to anything else except the SMDs and PCB.

I don't deny that some of the issues couldn't be fixed or perhaps should have been fixed quicker. But these issues don't impact more than probably 1 or 2% of all the Wiikey owners out there. I just wish people would be more patient and stop whinging and complaining. But that would be too much. Maybe people can just stop crapping on about how Wiikey owes them this, and owes them that. Or maybe they should just look at their purchase as a transaction. They handed over money, they got a product in return. Period.

Not that it matters, I will be flamed for my opinions no doubt. But some people in here really need to grow up, no matter how much they complain it won't change a thing. Team Wiikey will release the updates when they want, and if they continue to release updates that fine by me. If they don't as long as everything works for me I'm still happy. I'm the winner here, I can play any backup I want and for only $30AUD. Bargain if you ask me...

coolbho3000

Trophies
XP
Country
@lombers: Wiikey did not provide support "at all" for many months. They should have released an SSBB fix immediately instead of waiting two months since the Japanese launch. I paid for the Wiikey expecting them to update it in a timely manner if necessary. Otherwise, I would have bought another chip.

Why not take a peek at the open source chips' code Wiikey team? That would save a lot of time.
smile.gif

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
No one is asking them for "support." People simply don't want a modchip that will handicap their system and leave it worse off than it was without the chip installed.

You gotta love the smartass suggestions to take the chip out if you want to play Brawl. You shouldn't have to desolder a fucking chip once it has been installed. At this point, any so-called features need to take a backseat until they make sure that legal copies of all games work, especially a huge release like SSBB.

lombers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
We can argue all day but it doesn't handicap the system at all. A handicapped system is one that can't play backups at all
smile.gif

The issue here is one retail game which just happens to SSBB. I bet if the issue existed with Wii Chess there wouldn't be a problem, and half the people in here would be telling the others to stop complaining and just wait for the update.

You're right, desoldering is a not a good workaround. But burning and playing a "backup" is better than nothing at all.

As for Wiikey not providing support for many months, you didn't read my original post. They don't "have" to do anything. It is moral for them to provide support and updates, but that doesn't mean they will. Hence why I'm happy their is still support there, it does show that however late the update is they do still care for customers that who bought their original Wii modchip.

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
This is not a morality issue, and these guys are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. They have other products on the market that they want to sell, and they know that good reputation is hard to maintain, with people realizing how slow they are and other competitive chips coming out all the time. They are trying to make up for dropping the ball by adding a dev mode and an update blocker, but what they really should have done was enable DL support a month ago and worry about the rest later.

Sora2008

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Scoobos said:
Sora2008 said:
the big question will be

Does US brawl backup gonna work in PAL wiis without billions of patchs?

Lets hope...

It already does, if you use freeloader (I'm not being a smart arse, you just might not know).
I'm running it on my Wiinja V1, with freeloader!

no 001 error?

stuffed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Knocks said:
This is not a morality issue, and these guys are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. They have other products on the market that they want to sell, and they know that good reputation is hard to maintain, with people realizing how slow they are and other competitive chips coming out all the time. They are trying to make up for dropping the ball by adding a dev mode and an update blocker, but what they really should have done was enable DL support a month ago and worry about the rest later.

I dont remember getting a warranty or service contract from anyone when buying my wiikey...
ITS A FUCKING MODCHIP! not a TV set or a CPU!
Stop being their bussiness/market advisor and decide what they should or should not do!

There's a reason that among all the 'other competitive chips coming out all the time' wiikey still stays strong.

So just stuff it and quit whining!

You bought a piracy product from a chinese geeks team, not SONY or whatever...

So just be grateful that you're getting even that!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Damn Intel lol