Hardware 'Wiikey' The Countdown has begun....

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
Unfortune said:
WAIT, Isn't that how many days until summer is over?? lol.

Summer ends on the Autumn Equinox which is September 21st
mellow.gif

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
atomiccow said:
mr deez said:
Having my Wiikey installed years ago cost me £20, and I have NEVER had a SINGLE problem playing ANY game.

Beats softmodding for me.

I bought and installed a Wiikey about a year or two ago.
After installation, my Wii drive was loud when reading both retail and backup discs. Additionally, disc read errors made backups notoriously unreliable to the point of being unplayable. I have consistently had problems with my chip regardless of the media I burn on and regardless of the speeds I burn.

I gave up on backing up my games until I softmodded my Wii, which is easier, cleaner, and more reliable.
I suppose there are two sides to the coin, though.

Sure - I guess I'm the lucky one then!

As well as never having had difficulty running any game I've tried, I've never even seen what a disc read error looks like on the Wii...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Bladexdsl said:
tried playing ghostbusters, indy or g-force without gecko os?
Indy is working fine without a gecko, preloader, menu patcher, or what else.
I've got a wiikey1, on 3.2E. just patch 002 manually before burning.
I didn't test the other two games.

unfortunately, it's not working for Wii Sport Resorts yet, but I hope there will be an iso patching method for people with hardmoded console only, I hope hackers won't force us to use usb-loaders and stop develop anything else.

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
mr deez said:
atomiccow said:
mr deez said:
Having my Wiikey installed years ago cost me £20, and I have NEVER had a SINGLE problem playing ANY game.

Beats softmodding for me.

I bought and installed a Wiikey about a year or two ago.
After installation, my Wii drive was loud when reading both retail and backup discs. Additionally, disc read errors made backups notoriously unreliable to the point of being unplayable. I have consistently had problems with my chip regardless of the media I burn on and regardless of the speeds I burn.

I gave up on backing up my games until I softmodded my Wii, which is easier, cleaner, and more reliable.
I suppose there are two sides to the coin, though.

Sure - I guess I'm the lucky one then!

As well as never having had difficulty running any game I've tried, I've never even seen what a disc read error looks like on the Wii...

You really are lucky, I have the same exact problem as that guy. I don't even use my Wii much anymore because of it :\

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe it'll be a hard wired mod for the d3 drives, so they can have x6 and gc audio fix, rather than the crap ribbon cable ones they have to use now.

rafcor

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I've installed a wiikey 2 a couple months ago, never had problem with any game, including ghostbusters. Right now I'm using wiikey2 (v1.2) and 4.0u, never had a problem, in fact, only once twilight princess gave me an (yes, only one time) reading error, but it was only the first time I played it.
I chosed hard mod because I never had a GC and wanted to play Wind Waker and a couple other game, even if my PC is able to play GC games at 100% of the speed

ddp127

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
i think it will be a disc drive replacement, which will be capable of playing backups, originals, imports, and toasting break!

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Personally, Hardmod > Softmod. Because it'll always work on every revision and System Menu
smile.gif

I donno. I kind of enjoy the loading speed of USB, and the ease at which I can back games up. No needing to buy a spindle of blanks. I also quite enjoy playing wiiware from other media. Oh and I like being able to have a game use the nand on my sdcard/usb for saved games.

I see your point though. You don't have to worry about "does this game have 002 fix on or off." And that's definitely a cool feature. I personally prefer superior load times, long-lasting media, wiiware from usb, and unlimited nand storage. To each his own though eh.

Jhonyb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
They revealed it already its a chip that allows u to read the games from your SD slot.

I personally have a release date wii with Wiikey 1 in it and its now softmoded and i load everything from a external HDD with Uloader. So i dont see how this new wiikey chip will be better then a softmod.

Maybe saves u a bit of hassle with all the IOS installs from Homebrew Chann, but at any moment Nintendo can release something that will shaft your modchip so i came to the conclusion that having one or another is the same

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo