Hacking WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

spacepimp

Pathalogical Fantasist
Trophies
XP
Country
Wiiflow r1058 (open-mod revision - later than 4.2.1) with Carbonik-inspired boot animation:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/4q1w9j2xlrmcfmg/CarbonicHexr1058.zip

Commit log r1059 reads
"Oops!"
So I thought I'd better update;)

Wiiflow r1059 (open-mod revision - later than 4.2.1) with Carbonik-inspired boot animation:
Carbonik Hex r1059

Under the spoiler - how it looks on a 4:3 TV Screen:
mP2bdIa.gif

Reactions: MassiveRican

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
ummm hhmmm. i do apologies if this annoys anybody or if im posting in the wrong thread but i want to ask a question about wiiflow.
i have plugins section on wiiflow so i can use mplayer to watch dvds. my question is i want to be able to use catagorys on the dvd section (only)? but i want the catagorys to appear once i click on the mplayer source plugin is this possible?? as i have tried the catagorys but they only seem to show on boot or when i click the star which is awesome but not how ide like it set (basically i want it kids friendly so my son doesnt end up watching adult films that are on there) thank you for any replys its much appriciated

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Looks like the IRC channel is down so I'll report this here.
Due to a change in USB drives, to save space I changed the option keep_png=no (if I remember the option name correctly) in hopes of saving a little room
BUT
when I went into my brewflow ... I lost all my icon.png files :( (all 100 of them according to wiiflow)

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
im sorry i didnt make it clear.im not the best for explaining my meanings lol.my wiiflow boots up showing my source menu. and i want the catagories list to appear as soon as i click on my dvd source icon (not before) if this is possible? i hope thats abit better explained and i hope it doesnt make me sound fussy

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
fledge68 didn't u add some functionality that jammybudga77 is looking for. Something in the source menu.ini with categories? U might want to look there also check out the WiiFloWiki there might some info there too.

cheers dude. i have been checking wiiflowwiki but it doesnt say about my question. it tells me all about catagories but no mentioning of what i wanted. i have tried a couple of things myself with no success. (im pretty clued on with wiiflow as its enjoyable :) . thanks for your replys and help

Reactions: spacepimp

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
- You can access a categories page with 'catpage=' : link . I never tried this one though.
- Having a button that goes directly to a category is also possible with category=Number.
- You can hide the files by setting them to hidden category. See WiiflowWiki.

For example, let's say you have a categories_v4.ini from the masterpiece pack. In Wiiflow, you put all kid's stuff in the 'Early Childhood' category and the adult movies in 'hidden'. Then, edit the source_menu.ini, in your mplayer section add 'category=14' under 'magic=4D504345'. Now, if you click on mplayer button you should only see cartoons or whatever. If you want adult movies, B on star, tick 'hidden' and enter the parental code.

I really like this feature, you can have a button for mario or zelda games on all machines for instance. You just have to combine the plugins and add the 'category=?'.

Just a suggestion totally unrelated at fledge68 or fix94. How about updating the Wiiflow plugins pack on googlecode? Snes-gx and fceu-gx have the annoying update feature. Maybe the scummvm plugin too since it has some issues (no zlib,mp3,ogg) and is a bit outdated. They can be found in Abz pack but perhaps people don't know or prefer a link more 'official'.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im sorry i didnt make it clear.im not the best for explaining my meanings lol.my wiiflow boots up showing my source menu. and i want the catagories list to appear as soon as i click on my dvd source icon (not before) if this is possible? i hope thats abit better explained and i hope it doesnt make me sound fussy
nope. i never added anything like that but it does sound like a neat idea. there's an option for categories start page and automatically turning on a specified category when selecting a source but nothing to make categories menu automatically open.

Reactions: jammybudga777

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- You can access a categories page with 'catpage=' : link . I never tried this one though.
- Having a button that goes directly to a category is also possible with category=Number.

For example, let's say you have a categories_v4.ini from the masterpiece pack. In Wiiflow, you put all kid's stuff in the 'Early Childhood' category and the adult movies in 'hidden'. Then, edit the source_menu.ini, in your mplayer section add 'category=14' under 'magic=4D504345'. Now, if you click on mplayer button you should only see cartoons or whatever. If you want adult movies, B on star, tick 'hidden' and enter the parental code.

I really like this feature, you can have a button for mario or zelda games on all machines for instance. You just have to combine the plugins and add the 'category=?'.

Just a suggestion totally unrelated at fledge68 or fix94. How about updating the Wiiflow plugins pack on googlecode? Snes-gx and fceu-gx have the annoying update feature. Maybe the scummvm plugin too since it has some issues (no zlib,mp3,ogg) and is a bit outdated. They can be found in Abz pack but perhaps people don't know or prefer a link more 'official'.
i agree wiimpathy but i dont have the power to do that. i'll see what i can do on the wiki to point people to abz's pack for plugins and not use the other.

spacepimp

Pathalogical Fantasist
Trophies
XP
Country

That's a brilliant explanation. You've opened up the possibilities to me. thanks :)
i agree wiimpathy but i dont have the power to do that. i'll see what i can do on the wiki to point people to abz's pack for plugins and not use the other.
+1 for updating the plugin pack - and for promoting Abz's Masterpack a little more prominently - it's a great resource.
I appreciate changing the existing pack may not be your call - but could you instead add a further link to an updated plugin pack? or an alternate pack including content not in the original, perhaps some of the more recent additions to the wiiflow plugin family :)
Speaking of excellent resources for wiiflow users - I've been going over the wiki a lot recently and I just wanted to say thanks for the hard work on this. I was hoping to find something about the small and full sourceflows - wiimpathy is right about the wiki being more "official" and for many users it will be their sole source of information about wiiflow - so it'd be cool to show people how to find and enjoy it. No rush, as ever. :)

EDIT: If wiiflow prompted you for the passcode when opening a source set to load to the hidden category - that would be very very useful.
Does it do this already? My wii's not here to check...

EDIT: It'd be useful to have the source menu options (including sourceflow stuff) somewhere other than behind startup options - Most wiiflow users use the source menu and it's difficult to find and use the options you've worked to make available. For example, to reload the sourceflow cache, simply

Settings>Page2>Startup Options>Manage Source Menu>Page2>Empty Cache

As the source menu is used so much (for those that use it, it is the central node for browsing games) I think it's appropriate to have the options on the first tier of the settings menu, or even somewhere more prominent.

fledge68 I appreciate everyone's got other stuff going on in their lives, so, as always, thanks for all your work. I hope you can see I'm not intending to make any demands - just opening a conversation about a front-end issue.
p.s. quick space saving idea - single source menu setting with 4 options - Icon Menu, Full Sourceflow, Small Sourceflow, Off.

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
ive had a mess around with it after reading your comments :) thanks fledge and wiimpathy for your replys. fledge do you think that it could be added in? (catagorys automatically appear after selecting a source)

Tzvi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having an interesting problem. WiiFlow keeps putting the GameCube button on the bottom even though I have no GameCube games. Hence to get to my nand or emulators I need to first go through the GameCube screen where it wants me to install a game or choose a partition, and then press again to continue on. I do have "always_show_button=no" in my wiiflow.ini, but no matter what I do I can't make it go away. What am I doing wrong?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am having an interesting problem. WiiFlow keeps putting the GameCube button on the bottom even though I have no GameCube games. Hence to get to my nand or emulators I need to first go through the GameCube screen where it wants me to install a game or choose a partition, and then press again to continue on. I do have "always_show_button=no" in my wiiflow.ini, but no matter what I do I can't make it go away. What am I doing wrong?

wiiflow always assumes you have gc games if you have diosmios, diosmios lite, devolution or a cmios installed, so if you dont want that remove your mios and install the default one and remove devolution.

Reactions: bostonBC

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Is there also a "disabled=no" option under the [DML] section of your wiiflow.ini file? If there is you could also try changing it to "disabled=yes"

Tzvi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiiflow always assumes you have gc games if you have diosmios, diosmios lite, devolution or a cmios installed, so if you dont want that remove your mios and install the default one and remove devolution.
Odd that it lets you disable everything else but that.
Thanks for the information.

Is there also a "disabled=no" option under the [DML] section of your wiiflow.ini file? If there is you could also try changing it to "disabled=yes"

I forgot to mention that in my original post. There is no disabled option, I even tried putting one in and no success.

Thanks for trying anyway, I appreciate it.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I forgot to mention that in my original post. There is no disabled option, I even tried putting one in and no success.

Another option, if you're just worried about speed, there's an option in [GENERAL] called "dpad_mode=" and if you set it to yes you can just point at the mode icon and push up/down/left/right on the d-pad to jump straight to any of the coverflows in one button push.

spacepimp

Pathalogical Fantasist
Trophies
XP
Country
Odd that it lets you disable everything else but that.
Thanks for the information.

If you have a few different emulators, the sourceflow is probably the quickest way to choose from multiple sources.

Sonic_Crash [NL]

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I bought a new hdd (seagate expension 2TB) today to try out wiiflow but can't seem to get it to work. Currently, starting any game through wiiflow will result in a black screen followed with a restart back to the wii menu.

The version i'm using is wiiflow 4.2.1

I did a syscheck and as far as i can see everything looks okay but i hope that one of you guys can see a problem here.

[spoiler]
SysCheck v2.2.0 HD Edition by Double_A and R2-D2199, JoostinOnline, Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: PAL
System Menu 4.2E (v482)

Drive date: 05.26.2006
Homebrew Channel 1.0.8 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 69894233
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: Netherlands (94)
Boot2 v2
Found 206 titles.
Found 42 IOS on this console. 1 of them are stub.

IOS4 (rev 3): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS11 (rev 10): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Flash Access, NAND Access
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 12): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Flash Access, NAND Access
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 1040): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Flash Access, NAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS51 (rev 4633): Trucha Bug
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6687): No Patches
IOS236[36] (rev 65535, Info: rev 3351): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS245[37] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS246[38] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS247[53] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS248[55] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[58] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v2
MIOS v5
[/spoiler]

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks! That explains an odd thing that I noticed. I was trying to test out a double system (2 hard disks - 1 with Wii games on port 1 and the other with GC games on port 0). But I couldn't get it to display the GC icon on the main screen. I'll go back and make sure I have DIOS MIOS installed and retest it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think I played that one
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (i.e. Nintendos' next first party switch title/remake)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meh, I want metroid 4
    I have a refurbished hard drive like 8TBs just use it for movies and music so if it blows up nothing I can't replace lol
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    I mean almost every first party switch title of the past year or two leaked at least a week in advance for a while now haven't they?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not all of them, but yea many.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Metroid prime 4 I wouldn't be surprised if that title will be a SwitchU title (here's hoping Nintendo won't go with such a ridiculous name again)
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Hence me saying almost 🤣
    But for photos and OS and my ROMs not risking it on a refurbished drive lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you checked both the brew and 2u sites?
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    But yes I would welcome MP4 too or even 2+3 remaster/HD to hold us over untill MP4
    +1
    Switch 2 Switched at birth
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    I check brew almost daily (alongside tinfoil sorted on release date) for new games (and cry because of the amount of shovelware and hentai getting released), am unaware of the 2u site
    Super Switch
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    HUB
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    And the switch 3 Router
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (every one of those fitting after network-, and all play part in the OSI networking layer model)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Google switch nsp and you will see,it, that site
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Aww how cool that site is Nintendo switch to me :D
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (de-URLing the URL 🤣)
    Switch 2 U
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (or do we call them URIs now?)
  • Quincy @ Quincy: