Hacking WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

mugotu

Trophies
Website
www.wiiflowiki.com
XP
Country
United States
Sup all, just checking in. Wife and I are having troubles getting into an apartment here now that we moved across the country, so we have been staying in a hotel. Once I get a job and a place to live I'll be back here to fix up some more bugs. later all.

Spidy1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
mugotu said:
Sup all, just checking in. Wife and I are having troubles getting into an apartment here now that we moved across the country, so we have been staying in a hotel. Once I get a job and a place to live I'll be back here to fix up some more bugs. later all.

Take your time man, hope you get settled soon.

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spidy1000 said:
dexter222 said:
I notice WiiFlow still crashes when trying to use a 3tb drive with 4k sector size formatted WBFS. Support for this size drive is built into WBFS and works with GX 2.1 and CGF. Are there any plans on adding support to Wiiflow?

the support depends on the cIOS, wbfs still has a 500 games limit as far as i know, backup managers can work around this problem. Maybe GX and cfg did something special to the loaders to get it to work. Miigotu and r-win will have to look into this when they have time.

on a side note, why would anyone want to format a 3TB drive to wbfs format???? Just use NTFS or FAT32

The only way the new 4k sector size drives will work on the Wii right now is with WBFS. The FAT and NTFS libs are hardcoded with 512b sector size. WBFS reads the drives actual sector size. The number of games a WBFS drive can hold is based on its sector size -12, hence a 512 sector size drive can hold 500 games. The new 4096 sector size drives can support up to 4084 games. This is standard WBFS, nothing special done. Even some of the old loaders just simply work.

It's ironic, isn't it... you have to use an obsolete filesystem to use the latest technology drive
smile.gif

There is more detail at http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=276...t=0&start=0

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
mugotu said:
Good luck miigotu, hope to see you soon.

Spidy1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
dexter222 said:
Spidy1000 said:
dexter222 said:
I notice WiiFlow still crashes when trying to use a 3tb drive with 4k sector size formatted WBFS. Support for this size drive is built into WBFS and works with GX 2.1 and CGF. Are there any plans on adding support to Wiiflow?

the support depends on the cIOS, wbfs still has a 500 games limit as far as i know, backup managers can work around this problem. Maybe GX and cfg did something special to the loaders to get it to work. Miigotu and r-win will have to look into this when they have time.

on a side note, why would anyone want to format a 3TB drive to wbfs format???? Just use NTFS or FAT32

The only way the new 4k sector size drives will work on the Wii right now is with WBFS. The FAT and NTFS libs are hardcoded with 512b sector size. WBFS reads the drives actual sector size. The number of games a WBFS drive can hold is based on its sector size -12, hence a 512 sector size drive can hold 500 games. The new 4096 sector size drives can support up to 4084 games. This is standard WBFS, nothing special done. Even some of the old loaders just simply work.

It's ironic, isn't it... you have to use an obsolete filesystem to use the latest technology drive
smile.gif

There is more detail at http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=276...t=0&start=0

ok, so this s something for the devs to look into when they have time

gogorman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
retrogamermatt said:
I also had this problem using the BETA 346 dol. And once is finally detected my partition, it kept giving me a stack dump when I selected the favourites icon. So i just switched back to the 304 rev. Also whats the go with the occasional freezing on the Wiiflow loading screen. It happened to me on both 304 and 346 revs.

So I have tried this - switching to 304.
I actually WAS on 282 or something like that, so technically "updated" to 304.
Still the same thing - my HD is not detected/initialized.
No matter what I do. Change the partition to WBFS? No luck. Then once I do that I can't even change back to FAT.
The HD still works perfectly using WiiFlow and USBLoader GX.
Is there anyhting special that needs to be set on the HD? Logical or physical partitions? Anything like that?
What is going on??????? This is beginning to annoy me now!

mugotu

Trophies
Website
www.wiiflowiki.com
XP
Country
United States
davidnlta said:
get settled in man take your time us testers will be waiting for your return hope you have a nice string of luck on the apartment hunt

Heh, its not going well, 2000 miles from home our car blew up and cost $3700 for a used motor + $300 towing. Add another $850 I paid for the U-Haul and $3000+ we spent on gas and hotels since then we are almost absolutely broke. Im not sure if we will even have enough money left to get a place here. Who woulda thought $9000+ wasnt enough money to move 2500 miles?

dexter222 said:
Spidy1000 said:
QUOTE(dexter222 @ Apr 26 2011, 02:29 AM) I notice WiiFlow still crashes when trying to use a 3tb drive with 4k sector size formatted WBFS. Support for this size drive is built into WBFS and works with GX 2.1 and CGF. Are there any plans on adding support to Wiiflow?

smile.gif

We were actually making an attempt to fix this for fat/ntfs already, and some preliminary changes have already been made to work towards fixing the hard coded 512 sector sizes. The libs dont hard code it, the devoptabs and loader code does. The reason it was initially like that is because older cIOS did not allow us to use anything but 512 sector sizes.

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mugotu said:
davidnlta said:
get settled in man take your time us testers will be waiting for your return hope you have a nice string of luck on the apartment hunt

Heh, its not going well, 2000 miles from home our car blew up and cost $3700 for a used motor + $300 towing. Add another $850 I paid for the U-Haul and $3000+ we spent on gas and hotels since then we are almost absolutely broke. Im not sure if we will even have enough money left to get a place here. Who woulda thought $9000+ wasnt enough money to move 2500 miles?

dexter222 said:
Spidy1000 said:
QUOTE(dexter222 @ Apr 26 2011, 02:29 AM) I notice WiiFlow still crashes when trying to use a 3tb drive with 4k sector size formatted WBFS. Support for this size drive is built into WBFS and works with GX 2.1 and CGF. Are there any plans on adding support to Wiiflow?

smile.gif

We were actually making an attempt to fix this for fat/ntfs already, and some preliminary changes have already been made to work towards fixing the hard coded 512 sector sizes. The libs dont hard code it, the devoptabs and loader code does. The reason it was initially like that is because older cIOS did not allow us to use anything but 512 sector sizes.

I knew the problem was with the cIOS not allowing it, I didn't realize the problem had been addressed. It will be nice to finally retire WBFS
smile.gif

It sounds like you have your plate full right now with more important concerns. When you get settled I'd be happy to test anything you might come up with regarding the 4k sector size drives. Better luck with the rest of your move.

Spidy1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Apollopimp said:
It would be Awesome to see Wiiflow working with Sundriver

What is Sundriver?

edit: i just googled Sundriver, i think this technology is a bit obsolete as this can only use ISO files which means it can only store 424 ISO's on a 2 TB drive. Also why would you use this instead of an external HDD and a softmodded wii
I dont think wiiflow will ever work for this as the hardware is unknown to the devs and not many people are going to use this

Apollopimp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i didn't know about wiiflow or others with an interface before buying my sundriver. but i like the user interface that the wiiflow has i might just take my sundriver out and buy an external hard drive.

just a few questions
1) what are the requirements when choosing a hard drive for the wii.
2) what is the best place to get stuff for softmodding the wii.
3) what mod chip would be best to work with wiiflow and an external hard drive.

thanks for your time

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apollopimp said:
i didn't know about wiiflow or others with an interface before buying my sundriver. but i like the user interface that the wiiflow has i might just take my sundriver out and buy an external hard drive.

just a few questions
1) what are the requirements when choosing a hard drive for the wii.
2) what is the best place to get stuff for softmodding the wii.
3) what mod chip would be best to work with wiiflow and an external hard drive.

thanks for your time
well if you didn't soft mod your wii, before using the sundrive. then you'll need to re install your wii's cd drive an soft mod. i'm not sure how sundrives work, an if they are put in after soft moding. or if you need to soft mod to use it. your wii will not see the hdd drive unless it's soft moded. short, you need to soft mod in order for the wii to see the cd drive in the usb port.. then you can use it.
hdd's i have a wd 1tb hdd. an a wd 500gb hdd. one for games an one for. movies/music.
start with xflaxes mod mii, to soft mod.
an as i said before chips i know nothing about, never used one, don't need to. i hope this helps an if not i hope some one with better ideas can help..
yaywii.gif

Apollopimp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok my wii has v4.3u firmware what Lego Star Wars game should i buy to softmod? "LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga" ? or a different Lego Star Wars thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: colonel, I'm trying to sneak around +1