Hacking WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

Explicite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I used ModMii to mod my Wii. I've run into a couple of problems though with the Wiiflow loader.

I followed the guide and selected to format my hard drive into a FAT32 (30GB) and NTFS (400GB) partition. I have the USB Loader channel on my Wii. When I boot it up, it always says something along the lines of could not detect any games on this partition, so I have to go to one of the WiiFlow settings and select the NTFS drive so the games will get detected. How do I get it to remember to just check the NTFS partition for games, instead of default to the FAT32 partition which has the WiiFlow loader, game covers, etc.

Another problem, is WiiFlow doesn't seem to save any of my settings. I had set it to require parental lock password, but each time WiiFlow gets rebooted, everything just revets to default. I'm guessing this could also be the reason that it keeps defaulting to the FAT32 parition for checking games, since it isn't saving my choice of NTFS. How do I go about fixing this? I belive I'm using the latest WiiFlow version that ModMii downloads.

I have tried setting the active partition to the FAT32 partition, as well as the NTFS partition, still can't seem to save settings.

Also if I wanted to update WiiFlow, would I just download the latest version and just overwrite the old files with new version? I can't use the Updater that comes with WiiFlow as I always get a failure error of some sort.

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
Delete all your Wiiflow files from sd and HD and start from the beginning, with the 2.2-RC-1-(No-Dol) file and the latest public dol I think r304-249.zip.

you can keep the covers, etc.

Fixes most problems with WiiFlow not remembering settings.

vinzanity

Trophies
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
222 wouldn't even boot for me and i know i have 222 ios

My sentiments exactly. 222 "re-compiled" R304 seems to have black screen issues. Anybody got it to boot to the game selection menu?

MasterMan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
hybridLearner said:
MasterMan said:
How to get covers in FAT32 HDD? I already have CFG loading from there and didn't want two folders with similar content.
This question may be answered exaustively, but i couldn't find help, so please, link me to the answer.

On this wagon, how to boot wiiwares in wiiflow?

Thanks.

Just let WiiFlow download them and create the cover cache files. If you are worried about a couple hundred mb of space on your hdd, you can delete them afterwards. They should be [source]/wiiflow/boxcovers. As of now the only way to boot wiiware titles is if you have them installed as channels on your wii.
I think you misunderstood, my bad.
I already have CFG reading covers from usb:/usbloader/covers and want wiiflow reading from the same folder. How can i change this?
Thanks.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
MasterMan said:
hybridLearner said:
MasterMan said:
How to get covers in FAT32 HDD? I already have CFG loading from there and didn't want two folders with similar content.
This question may be answered exaustively, but i couldn't find help, so please, link me to the answer.

On this wagon, how to boot wiiwares in wiiflow?

Thanks.

Just let WiiFlow download them and create the cover cache files. If you are worried about a couple hundred mb of space on your hdd, you can delete them afterwards. They should be [source]/wiiflow/boxcovers. As of now the only way to boot wiiware titles is if you have them installed as channels on your wii.
I think you misunderstood, my bad.
I already have CFG reading covers from usb:/usbloader/covers and want wiiflow reading from the same folder. How can i change this?
Thanks.
Look for the [USB/SD]:/apps/wiiflow folder, edit the wiiflow.ini that is there, look for the line that starts with "dir_box_covers=", change the pathname (or if you only have front covers edit the line that starts with "dir_flat_covers=").

BTW. this info is is found on wiiflowiki, the help page for wiiflow mentioned on the first page.

To answer the second question:

If its wiiware and/or VC games installed to NAND, you have a button on the main Wiiflow page to goto channels, from there you can start them.

If its wiiware and/or VC games installed to EMUNAND, at the moment you need ISO forwarders for that...and Triiforce setup and working(don''t ask me any furthe questions about that).

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
puttiplatt said:
vinzanity said:
Bladexdsl said:
222 wouldn't even boot for me and i know i have 222 ios

My sentiments exactly. 222 "re-compiled" R304 seems to have black screen issues. Anybody got it to boot to the game selection menu?

Same for me. Same goes for 223. 249 works
Nearly the same for 224 v5.1 base IOS57. I can start wiiflow fine, but I get black screen when I'm trying to boot a game, when I'm choosing IOS249 to start a game it works fine.

gogorman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question.
Something strange has happened to my WiiFlow.
The games still load and play perfectly, but when I load the WiiFlow GUI itself it does not fit the screen - there is a black bar at the bottom of the screen about 1 or 2 inches high. This bar seems to be the bottom of the screen, but it is not at the bottom of my TV screen. When the games load they fit just fine.
Even when I try to adjust the size of WiiFlow in the settings, it does not make a difference - its like the screen has shrunk. When I re-size, the screen DOE re-size but does not extend below this black bar.
Any ideas?????

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
kylster said:
CannonFoddr said:
OK this may be a silly question but how do I know WHICH WiiFlow to download ??

On the Download page there's 'r304-222' to 'r304-250', which I'm guessing has something to do with IOS (eg 'r304-222' uses 'IOS222') & since I have NO idea what IOS's are etc how do I know I won't bugger up my Wii with the wrong one
the -222, etc behind the r??? is just which cIOS you would like it to use when it boots up. I like 222 but some like 249 the difference is which ever one works best for your
smile.gif
try them out but i would recommend you start with 222 to see if it works for you then goto 249 and optionally 250. I avoid 249 cIOS builds unless 222 doesnt work in which case i use it as a fallback cIOS to say. I've just had bad exp with 249 cIOS. (the cIOS in general, not just with WiiFlow)
Ah Right - Well I softmodded using 'ModMii' & the 'included' USB loader (I think it's ConfigureUSB) uses 249 (only found THAT out 'cos it shows '249[frag]' when booting up)

- since I've have had no problems running games (apart from one - 'HOTD 2&3 Return' FYI) I'll give the r304-249 one a whirl

On the subject of HOTD 2&3 - The problem I have is that I can only play the '3' part of the game & only if I use 'alt-dol' method - IF I used 222 instead 249 would that fix the problem ??

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
icebrg5 said:
Thanks for that link - I did try different all the different IOS's beforehand anyway & still with no (real) success - also I did try the 'Block IOS reload' but that just caused an error message when quitting 'HOTD - 2' (something about not able to write to Wii memory), so I guess that when I used ModMii it didn't install the Hermes CIOS's

So I've downloaded Hermes installer and installed all of the CIOS as suggested here, turned on the 'Block IOS reload' & game does seem to work now EXCEPT when quitting game & returning to 'Wii menu' - it locks up & all I get is a black screen. The only way(s) to get back to channels is select 'reset' or switch off/on the Wii

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
CannonFoddr said:
returning to 'Wii menu' - it locks up & all I get is a black screen. The only way(s) to get back to channels is select 'reset' or switch off/on the Wii
That's normal because the block IOS reload function will also block the system menu IOS.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
FIX94 said:
CannonFoddr said:
returning to 'Wii menu' - it locks up & all I get is a black screen. The only way(s) to get back to channels is select 'reset' or switch off/on the Wii
That's normal because the block IOS reload function will also block the system menu IOS.
Ah right - I think I understand... so I guess there IS no workaround for returning 'home' for this game ATM then

Well at least it seems I can at least play the game

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
UPDATE: Hmm weird this....

So I turned off my Wii yesterday, turned it on today to have a go of HOTD2/3 & I'm back to how it was originally (i.e. not loading/black screen).
Checked I was still on the right IOS & had the 'block' on & still not working

I reloaded the Hermes 5.1 IOS222 like I did yesterday & it 'fixed' it for me to play, but when I did a 'reset' to the Wii, it doesn't run again !!!! (all other games still seem to work though), so I thought maybe it was the NTSC version causing problems so found/got a PAL version - same thing(s)

Oh well - seems like I can't play 'Dual-Content' games like HOTD2/3 which is a shame (BTW I tried HOTD:O & that works fine without any 'tweaks')

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Hmm.. Everything works fine on 2.1a r92. I've updated to the latest rev on google code (r304), and the program keeps showing the "Wiiflow" boot screen. It keeps loading forever..

Any idea why that would be?

Baboo77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is anyone else getting a lot of random freezes with the latest r304 while playings games that require ios37 or 56. My RB games and MH3 are frustrating to play cause of it. Id like to know if it is a common occurrence or if it is just me before I start hacking away at it

Yod4z

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Baboo77 is due to wiiflow or to the cIOS?. On the Rev 21 of Wani cIOS you can see lot's of people have this problem

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.