Gaming Wii worth the money?

danweb

Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
People say that the wii isn't worth it, but these are the modern new gamers. These are people that need a gun in the game for it to be fun. People that need 'better graphics than before' on the box of each and every game. People that need 'collectors edition 5 disc blue ray set' packs because they can. People that like repetitive gameplay.

I don't mind if you are that kind of person, nothing wrong with that, most of my friends are, so long as they are able to respect why my point of view is also valid. I hate it when people say that the wii is for little kids or that there are no good games on it. I don't mind if they say that their type of games are not on it (such as fallout, HD, box set etc.) but the games are there for people that like that type of game.

Lots of people must like the games too because the wii has sold (these are guesses but within the correct 10s of millions) about 78 million units and the XBOX360 and PS3 combined only 86 million-ish.

If you are less of a 'modern, new to gaming' person, get the wii. Otherwise, get one or 2 of the others.
biggrin.gif

Hope you were able to read all of my ramble
biggrin.gif

whoomph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lost Wisdom said:
There isn't any worth while games on the wii.
ha ha - nice copypasta.

Unmodded, a wii is great for multiplayer fun. It has a lot of shovelware but what console doesn't? There are tons of good games (some with guns) and online is free
Modded - Just amazing. What current console besides the psp has more apps, emulators and original homebrew titles? (Until the PS3 Dolphin port lol)

Also worth noting is that the wii console takes up about as much space as an Xbox360 power supply
yaywii.gif

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Satangel said:
If you want emulation of anything newer than N64, you shouldn't buy it. Emulators for the N64 and PSX are in development, but it's still going to take a long time to get those running properly.
SNES, NES and basically everything older (DS and GBA too though) are very playable, but I never amused myself with those (older) games.

The games, the main goal of the Wii IMHO is party games. Social games, games with a few people, are the best games for Wii.
If you are looking for an immense experience like for example Fallout 3/New Vegas, Oblivion or Mass Effect, you're just looking on the wrong platform. The Wii doesn't have any great RPG's (so far), and frankly, Zelda/SMG just doesn't cut it for me.
If you like platforming games though, immediately get it for NSMB Wii (thanks to that modding tool, the possibilities are endless), SMG and SMG 2. You'll get an OD on terrific platforming games on this platform
smile.gif

For homebrew and hackability, get it immediately. WiiMC just turned my Wii into a whole media center, amazing stuff.

The fuck. Xenoblade is awesome! One of the best RPG of the generation!
yaywii.gif

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lost Wisdom said:
I bought a wii, mod it and still thought it was a waste of money. There isn't any worth while games on the wii. I had to play mostly gamecube games to be entertained.

I flashed my 360 and never looked back.

There are around 30-40 great games on the Wii.
Clearly you just suck at looking for games.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Juanmatron said:
Satangel said:
If you want emulation of anything newer than N64, you shouldn't buy it. Emulators for the N64 and PSX are in development, but it's still going to take a long time to get those running properly.
SNES, NES and basically everything older (DS and GBA too though) are very playable, but I never amused myself with those (older) games.

The games, the main goal of the Wii IMHO is party games. Social games, games with a few people, are the best games for Wii.
If you are looking for an immense experience like for example Fallout 3/New Vegas, Oblivion or Mass Effect, you're just looking on the wrong platform. The Wii doesn't have any great RPG's (so far), and frankly, Zelda/SMG just doesn't cut it for me.
If you like platforming games though, immediately get it for NSMB Wii (thanks to that modding tool, the possibilities are endless), SMG and SMG 2. You'll get an OD on terrific platforming games on this platform
smile.gif

For homebrew and hackability, get it immediately. WiiMC just turned my Wii into a whole media center, amazing stuff.

The fuck. Xenoblade is awesome! One of the best RPG of the generation!
yaywii.gif

That game isn't even released yet, so you can't say it's one of the best of this generation.
Like it said, so far there aren't any great RPG's on the Wii. No immerse experiences like Oblivion or Mass Effect, nothing yet. If I could choose between the 360/PS3 who has games like that on their platform, and the Wii which has Super Paper Mario and Sakura Wars, I'm picking PS3/360.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Immersive? Oblivion? Mass effect?
lol, you got the wrong definition of "immersive"
Oblivion is a good game, but i'd never call it immersive, not even slightly.
Mass Effect has a boring, simple combat system and a terrible, yet overbearing, story. Nothing about it is immersive. Repulsive maybe.

Sure, wii has very few good RPGs, but it does have Arc Rise Fantasia and ToS2.
Maybe not the worlds best RPGs, but they're certainly worth playing.

The Last Story needs to hurry up. It looks spectacular.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hells Malice said:
Immersive? Oblivion? Mass effect?
lol, you got the wrong definition of "immersive"
Oblivion is a good game, but i'd never call it immersive, not even slightly.
Mass Effect has a boring, simple combat system and a terrible, yet overbearing, story. Nothing about it is immersive. Repulsive maybe.

Sure, wii has very few good RPGs, but it does have Arc Rise Fantasia and ToS2.
Maybe not the worlds best RPGs, but they're certainly worth playing.

The Last Story needs to hurry up. It looks spectacular.

Games like that just get me addicted so hard, and make me think about it constantly. Games like that I never encountered on the Wii, the ones that came close were Mario Kart Wii and PES 2010 (because I'm a major football fan).

I have my opinion on Oblivion/Fallout 3/Mass Effect, you have yours. Only thing I know is that Gamerankings.com agrees with me.

Arfiol

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
dbproject.hostoi.com
XP
Country
The Wii is rather cheap, but even if it wasn't, it'd be worth the money. Unlike the two other consoles, the Wii doesn't rely on technology to make up for a mediocre library of games. Sure, there is a lot of crap on the Wii, and sure, it's not Nintendo's best console, but its best games are so much better than those on other modern consoles. I'm not saying that the PS3 and 360's best games are bad, but many of them can be played via computer, which defeats the whole point of them being on a console. Also, their unique games, while still being good, aren't (at least to me) at all as good as those on the Wii. I'm certain that many people disagree, but if I, for example, get to choose between Halo Reach and Twilight Princess, I'll take the latter any day.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'd say the wii is cost-effective. It's cheaper than the other consoles, but you don't get HD. Games that are crossplatform rarely are the best ones on the wii (going by what review sites say here). The image of the wii as "too kiddy" isn't too far from the truth. Sure, there are plenty of exceptions. But the wii exclusive games are pretty much always simple in design but packed with fun.

I can't compare much with other systems, but homebrew seems decent enough. For emulators, I agree mostly with Satangel. The old generation can be played without problems whatsoever (check out this linky). N64 and PSX are a bit touch-and-go. For N64, you're better off getting the VC games. For PSX...it's getting there.
In a certain way, you can count gamecube games as emulation as well, which the wii plays great. Well...at least the retail games.

Riley

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wii-Get on craigslist for like $120-$150- Softmod with Indiana pwns or Smash Stack

Media Centre
Emulators
Backups and retail of awesome GAMES

DO IT buy a wii.

ACDCGAMER

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If you can get used to the system's technical limitations, if you like Nintendo games, if you plan on getting Super Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 at some point, if you can get used to its subpar online service, and if you're interested in its awesome homebrew capabilities, then by all means get it.

If you don't care about homebrew, the Red Wii looks cool. Plus you get like 3 games for it; Super Mario All-Stars (lol, a 16 year-old game yet has 4 awesome classics), New Super Mario Bros. Wii (a great game), and Wii Sports.

iSneeze

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
supersonic124 said:
Is a Wii worth the money?
75378_TrollFace_answer_2_small.png
NO if you're a gamer who enjoys graphics, adrenaline. YES if you enjoy the classics in their primitive form of weak graphics and what not.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
iSneeze said:
supersonic124 said:
NO if you're a gamer who enjoys graphics, adrenaline. YES if you enjoy the classics in their primitive form of weak graphics and what not.

Trololololol

Graphics don't make a game. Graphics are only important to fags. Also, Adrenaline? Clearly you've never played Resident Evil 4 on the Wii.

A while back, I would say, no, Wii isn't worth it's price. But, recently, especially this year, the Wii has become an amazing machine.

iSneeze

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:
iSneeze said:
supersonic124 said:

Trololololol

Graphics don't make a game. Graphics are only important to fags. Also, Adrenaline? Clearly you've never played Resident Evil 4 on the Wii.

A while back, I would say, no, Wii isn't worth it's price. But, recently, especially this year, the Wii has become an amazing machine.

Aahh yes, nothing like adrenaline from blocky pixelated game play

PROBLEM?

OP asked for opinions, I gave my personal opinion. You can agree or disagree but just can't force your opinion against those who differ from you.

naglaro00

Mildly disturbed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
iSneeze said:
ShadowSoldier said:
iSneeze said:
supersonic124 said:

Trololololol

PROBLEM?

OP asked for opinions, I gave my personal opinion. You can agree or disagree but just can't force your opinion against those who differ from you.
Is Alan Wake on XBOX HD?
How about CoD?
Halo?
FFXIII?
You call the Wii "blocky"....
but the XBOX isn't even HD!

btw, NMH had more adrenaline than some of your "HD" games

iSneeze

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
naglaro00 said:
iSneeze said:
ShadowSoldier said:
iSneeze said:
supersonic124 said:

Trololololol

PROBLEM?

Is Alan Wake on XBOX HD?
How about CoD?
Halo?
FFXIII?

LMAO srsly? You don't even know that the Xbox pro (if produced after 2007), elite and slim have 1080p HD gaming? SRSLY?

edit: They support stereoscopic 3D gaming for 3DTVs too.

naglaro00

Mildly disturbed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
iSneeze said:
naglaro00 said:
iSneeze said:
ShadowSoldier said:
iSneeze said:

Trololololol

PROBLEM?

Is Alan Wake on XBOX HD?
How about CoD?
Halo?
FFXIII?

LMAO srsly? You don't even know that the Xbox elite and Xbox slim have 1080p HD gaming? SRSLY?

edit: They support stereoscopic 3D gaming for 3DTVs too.
glare.gif

yeahyeah upscale yer games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT