Gaming wii update?????? on pal?

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
must admit these updates could cause a bit of a pain. Im sure members of the scene could "hack" these discs to stop the updates.

I have the game downloaded, but still bit worried about trying - even though mine is latest update and is connected to wifi..

herpes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Left battery out for ~14 hours with Wii unplugged, has made no difference whatsoever. Guess that theory has no merit. Now I just have to wait a couple of days for the LAN adaptor to see if that helps.

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
Retrohead on http://wii.ds-scene.net/?act=viewtopic&s=wii&topic=2386 gave this guide for it working on PAL consoles.

"For all those paranoid about this update that is (i can confirm this) included on this disc then follow these simple steps:

1. turn on your wii without a game disc in
 2. perform a system update and follow it until the system reboots
 3. perform system updates until you get a message telling you there are no more updates available.
 4. boot up your wii then inster the game disc
 5. when you go into the disc channel, you will be asked to perform an update
 6. make sure your internet connection is available then click OK to perform the update
 7. once your wii reboots, you can play this awesome game!"

This is his guide and I take no credit for it.

P.S. What is the screensaver that you are talking about?

yep this worked for me, although i read one report on blackcats that a wii was bricked even though it was completely updated, but i think this is false as no one else has had this problem!

i followed these steps and it all worked fine, didnt stop my heart from skippin a few beats when the resetting screen came up though!

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
Left battery out for ~14 hours with Wii unplugged, has made no difference whatsoever. Guess that theory has no merit. Now I just have to wait a couple of days for the LAN adaptor to see if that helps.

in response to this that would make sense, taking the battery up will halt your clock settings but it doesnt wipe your system or firmware memory (otherwise modders would of lost all their channels). its a sad state of affairs really, who knows whats gonna happen now ey! hopefully someone works somethin out but if you cant even use the home key all seems helpless

hot_madras

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bricked Wii: NO
Wiiconnect active: YES
Opera browser downloaded: YES
Firmware version: 2.1E
Screensaver activated: NO
Language on system: english

Fabio_figo71

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
marc: EU/EU/ITA/SETUP/ScreenSave.html

Imho, ScreenSave.html is the "health and safety" screen, which is the first screen that comes up when you boot your wii. The proof of this is that the address has the same language (ITA/SPA/ENG etc) set on your wii.. During the update, something went wrong and screensave.html hasn't been installed properly, so when you boot your wii, it looks for the file, but it doesn't find it, so it stucks on that screen. It reminds me the psp: when you mess with the "opening_plugin.rco", psp can't load it properly and it shuts down.. Correct me if I'm wrong

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
i do think it trys to connect online first for updates, and if it cant find any then it updates via disc.. which is why it bricks wiis!!

Burt0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Language on system: english

Thanks for reporting dude, that setup seems to be working for people so far

i'm sure it a really awesome game but it's not worth bricking a wii

The more results we get like this, the better

snoopey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Language on system: german

Burt0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah thats right man
wink.gif

If it works the first time you've got nothing to worry about

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm noticing a pattern in this thread:
Most U.K. users are running the update with no problems.
All those with bricked Wiis have been from mainland EU.
North American Wii owners aren't saying anything.

Anyway I have a feeling Nintendo is just testing something out with this one.

Sorry to those of you with broken Wiis. You run a risk when you open up your console, attach a chip, and steal games.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I wonder what kind of html file the Wii tries to access on startup?
wtf.gif

maybe it's the safety warning that pops up everytime you boot up the system...

it is most likely the message 'you can set screensaver options in the wii settings' that shows up after updating. im sure it's missing in the NTSC update. At least "EU/EU/ENG/Setup/ScreenSave.html" "EU/EU/ITA/Setup/ScreenSave.html" etc. files, there probably is one US/US/ENG/Setup/ScreenSave.html or whatever it would be named
wink.gif

I've been trying to gather info on this all day and in short i can sum it up to a few undeniable facts:

NTSC consoles updated with latest firmware prior to running the game WILL NOT be promted to update with the update on the disc.
PAL consoles updated with latest firmware prior to running the game WILL be promted to update with the update on the disc.

Both wiikey and cyclowiiz users have reported bricking on PAL machines. Users of both chips has also updated succesfully and can play the game.

Noone has reported bricking if they have the latest firmware and connection to Internet prior to running the update on the disc.

And finally I still seem to be the only one who gets "Wii system update failed" when updating with the disc. (first tried with 2.0E and then updated to 2.1E online but the update on the disc still gives the error). My problem is most likely related to bad burn/faulty media but im not going to burn more copies and try again until i know for sure i'm not going to brick my Wii.
Smartest response yet - if there is indeed such a message ("you can set screensaver options in the wii settings" or similar) after you upgrade successfully (can anyone confirm this?), it seems likely that the html file would be that message, just judging by name.

Also, I'm a little suspicious of the double EU\ - it doesn't make much sense to have it twice in the path - maybe it's only there once for up-to-date systems?

For those with bricked Wiis - I think you'll be out of luck until there is a method to read/write from the onboard flash memory. Figuring out the disc format so we could have a look at what it contains would be nice also - what happened to the talk about the Wii file system being similar to the GC?

EddyB

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Screensaver activated: ?
Language on system: Dutch

Wonder if there's gonna be an online update soon, could be f*cked.

herpes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Hottar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've still not seen anyone reporting a bricked wii when first updating to 2.1E and keep the wii connected while updating with the disc. (I have been checking many forums and on IRC)
So i went ahead and burnt myself a new copy of the game and have now succesfully updated and i'm now able to play the game.

Language on system: English

Oh and "you can set screensaver options in the wii settings" was not displayed when i went from 2.0E to 2.1E or when updating using the disc but my screensaver was disabled. I have however seen that when updating the wii earlier (cant remember version info though). Maybe it only displays if you update from a older FW that didnt have the screen saver? Was the screensaver options in there in stock FW?

unr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could any of you WiiKey users try setting wii back to region-locked mode after updating from SPM disc and try booting any PAL or NTSC game?
Also, does country list in settings change after update?
Just curious...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: why not report the website to em?