Gaming wii update?????? on pal?

Hottar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have updated to 2.1E online and the game still wants to do a system update when i try to start the game.

Why does the game want do an update, if the wii is uptodate?
A very good question... The only thing ive been able to come up with is that it might be a game specific update required just for Paper Mario (and it doesnt update the general system). Or it could be that the game checks if you have the 2.1 NTSC version of the firmware and since PAL machines wont have that even on 2.1E it decides to update to the same version.

The only fact i can give is that others have tried updating to 2.1E online before putting the game in and they were also forced to update.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Hottar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have updated to 2.1E online and the game still wants to do a system update when i try to start the game.

he have connect24 on and I think it try to connect online for patch?
probably need to disable the internet connect24..

Ive tried with connect24 both enabled and disabled, update required in both cases. Also swicthed off my wireless AP so it has no way of going online. Same result.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

he have connect24 on and I think it try to connect online for patch?
probably need to disable the internet connect24..

Ive tried with connect24 both enabled and disabled, update required in both cases. Also swicthed off my wireless AP so it has no way of going online. Same result.

could you try copy the opera browser to SD (backup) remove the SD and delete the opera from the wii system and restart the system see that work?..(disabled connect24)

squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Worked fine for me, Mine was up to date before I popped Mario into the drive, It wanted to do an update anyways but all is still well after a restart
biggrin.gif

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Another guy is getting:
marc: EU/EU/ITA/SETUP/ScreenSave.html

This tells us that the wii is missing something that is needed and that it is region based (not only PAL/NTSC) since its looking for a ITA folder (which should mean italy localized version of the file)
I wonder what kind of html file the Wii tries to access on startup?
wtf.gif

maybe it's the safety warning that pops up everytime you boot up the system...

all people who succesfully updated their Wii should post all of their settings and the firmware version they had before updating...especially the Screensaver settings (obviously), WiiConnect24/standby settings, wether or not they had Opera installed and so on...

someone said he didn't have Opera installed, maybe that's why the page couldn't be displayed? (the Opera browser is probably the only "update" that comes with html files...)

is there anyone (with a PAL Wii) who didn't have Opera installed and updated successfully?

Hottar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder what kind of html file the Wii tries to access on startup?
wtf.gif

maybe it's the safety warning that pops up everytime you boot up the system...

it is most likely the message 'you can set screensaver options in the wii settings' that shows up after updating. im sure it's missing in the NTSC update. At least "EU/EU/ENG/Setup/ScreenSave.html" "EU/EU/ITA/Setup/ScreenSave.html" etc. files, there probably is one US/US/ENG/Setup/ScreenSave.html or whatever it would be named
wink.gif

I've been trying to gather info on this all day and in short i can sum it up to a few undeniable facts:

NTSC consoles updated with latest firmware prior to running the game WILL NOT be promted to update with the update on the disc.
PAL consoles updated with latest firmware prior to running the game WILL be promted to update with the update on the disc.

Both wiikey and cyclowiiz users have reported bricking on PAL machines. Users of both chips has also updated succesfully and can play the game.

Noone has reported bricking if they have the latest firmware and connection to Internet prior to running the update on the disc.

And finally I still seem to be the only one who gets "Wii system update failed" when updating with the disc. (first tried with 2.0E and then updated to 2.1E online but the update on the disc still gives the error). My problem is most likely related to bad burn/faulty media but im not going to burn more copies and try again until i know for sure i'm not going to brick my Wii.

D

Deleted User

This is truly one scary issue. You never know if the next game released will do the exact same thing. I guess, the safest thing to do is ... to only get images from your own region. I'm definately never ever going to try playing a PAL game.
tongue.gif

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine is a USA NTSC unit with 2.0U version. I just tried to update it in options menu but it said the version I have is the latest?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can