Hacking Wii U USB loading - install WiiU games to USB or internal memory

TudorBlue

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
THE BASIC WAY IS REALY EASY THIS is easy compared to the 3ds lol

Thought the 3ds was easy lol. Im still reading up as I see I need to download a DS game. I dont want to have to keep on using the browser to get into homebrew but if buying a ds game is the only way then so be it

bruno_bard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is the one. The other is an image tool for file transfers. It's pretty simple to use: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Thanks, but I questioned about an update that aloow use games installed in a HDD
This is the one. The other is an image tool for file transfers. It's pretty simple to use: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
I was questioning about the WiiU USB Loader compatibility with HDD formated in Others formats than that WiiU format

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thought the 3ds was easy lol. Im still reading up as I see I need to download a DS game. I dont want to have to keep on using the browser to get into homebrew but if buying a ds game is the only way then so be it

u need a ds game for haxchi, yes, but u can also install homebrew forwarder channels. I've only seen one pop up thus far which was/is for loadiine. it works without issue as I've tested it. u just install the forwarder like u would a game. it's not in wad format either. it's in the .app/.tmp/.tik format like games r. it can be loaded in sysNAND or redNAND assuming u install to usb. :)

AsterKool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey can you install games like Call of Duty : black ops 2 to rednand? (I ask because there wasn't an official eshop digital release)

funnypoli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many games were running fine on the usb hard drive until installing games that were previously played using the disc, specifically Super Smash Bros. and Wonderful 101. After installing these games with wup installer, I would get error 160-2713 indicating the hard drive was unplugged or not receiving enough power.

I have tried on two different drives, WD 1tb black passport with Y-cable and a simple usb 3.0 thumb drive. Both exhibit same behavior.

Now the 1tb black passport when booting the wii u, on the home page if left there for about 30seconds, will produce the error without loading any games. Trying to access the data management in settings quickly then selecting the 1tb black passport, says there is incomplete data on the hard drive and if I would like to delete it. Both options send up the same error.

I have checked the tickets and see no duplicates. I deleted the Super Smash Bros ticket for the update, game, and dlc, factory reset the Wii U in the settings, and installed again via WUP and the splash screen will load then throw up the same error 160-2713.

Other factors might be when I installed those games I went over the 300 game limit. I am not sure if you are limited when using the WUP installer, the guide says you are not limited. I never saw an error at the main menu saying there were too many games. And then my installation files for those two games could be bad/corrupted, I have not tried recopying to the sd card yet. Other games that I copied over at the same time are running fine. Doesn't seem to be the size of the game installed, as other large games do work fine.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Anyone know if there is any ongoing project to use a HDD FAT32 or other format?
Yes, there is an ongoing project by Dimok to support FAT32 partition.
it's not exactly the way you (may) think it will work.

It will not work like loadiine, where you just extract the game to USB on your computer and play on your console.
instead, it will only accept a FAT32 partition instead of encrypting the partition to WiiU proprietary format. But you will still need to use WUP installer to write the game to your USB HDD FAT32, not your computer.

once the game will be installed, then of course you can use that drive on computer to mod your game (edit the game files) or backup the savegame, etc.
you can also use the same hard drive for vWii. I don't know if it can share the same partition than other data or if it requires a dedicated one.

Last edited by Cyan,

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you install games without copying them to SD ? Do we have FTP acces to the internal memory ? I noticed it works just for SD
Yes, from a technical standpoint, you can do this. However, the current popular homebrew only looks on SD. The system function itself will install from whatever path you give it, including installing from a second USB drive to the first. So if ftpiiu_everywhere's SITE mount command were enabled (so you could mount the second USB drive), and perhaps a SITE install command added, you could fill one usb drive with installs overnight, then install from there onto another usb drive. Or you could copy each title and install it to the same drive serially.

That said, you're still subject to the limits of ftp transfer speed when you're filling up your source drive, which is another reason why USB FAT32 support is much anticipated.

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, there is an ongoing project by Dimok to support FAT32 partition.
it's not exactly the way you (may) think it will work.

It will not work like loadiine, where you just extract the game to USB on your computer and play on your console.
instead, it will only accept a FAT32 partition instead of encrypting the partition to WiiU proprietary format. But you will still need to use WUP installer to write the game to your USB HDD FAT32, not your computer.

once the game will be installed, then of course you can use that drive on computer to mod your game (edit the game files) or backup the savegame, etc.
you can also use the same hard drive for vWii. I don't know if it can share the same partition than other data or if it requires a dedicated one.
Link to development progress? Or is it private?

laz305

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok this is an interesting glitch. When I load up Skylanders from USB it shows the title screen and the pops up a warning that the USB HD power supply was unplugged which isn't possible. Maybe installing it to internal will solve the problem? But maybe not safe since I haven't been able to fully test out the game. Anyone else ever have this issue? I'm using a Y Cable and this is the only game out of dozens this happens with.

KevinX8

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok this is an interesting glitch. When I load up Skylanders from USB it shows the title screen and the pops up a warning that the USB HD power supply was unplugged which isn't possible. Maybe installing it to internal will solve the problem? But maybe not safe since I haven't been able to fully test out the game. Anyone else ever have this issue? I'm using a Y Cable and this is the only game out of dozens this happens with.
Did you disable hdd sleep mode? That might be your problem, its hidden under data management

KevinX8

Trophies
XP
Country
How do you do that?
n the System Settings go to "Data Management". Once there do not click on the on-screen buttons but instead hold down on the GamePad's D-Pad and the "+" and "-" buttons for a couple of seconds. A hidden option will show up and you can disable or re-enable the Sleep Mode on the connected HDD

laz305

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
n the System Settings go to "Data Management". Once there do not click on the on-screen buttons but instead hold down on the GamePad's D-Pad and the "+" and "-" buttons for a couple of seconds. A hidden option will show up and you can disable or re-enable the Sleep Mode on the connected HDD
Ok thx I did that. I got a little farther this time but error still occurred. Think it's okay to try and install it?

KevinX8

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok thx I did that. I got a little farther this time but error still occurred. Think it's okay to try and install it?
Sounds like you have one of those HDD's the wii u thosen't play nicely with, in the future more games will do the same alot of people here have described HDDs with the exact same problem as you but they all worked fine on a pc. Installing to NAND should be fine yeah

Reactions: laz305

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-