Wii U - Update

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by postdeals, Apr 14, 2014.

1. postdeals
    OP

postdeals Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2014
    United States
    Nintendo just released a new WII U update. Has anyone tried it? I have been cancelling it but wanted to know if its safe to update or will it impact homebrew?

2. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    General rule of thumb: If there isn't a thread full of screaming people, it's safe to update.

3. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    whar update are you talking about. WiiUImpersonator shows no changes to firmware since April 1st

4. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    I'd wait a few days or so to see if that thread of screaming people shows up, otherwise you might be the one that starts that thread.

Kargaroc likes this.
  5. Ericzander

Ericzander I used hax to get yellow name

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    I updated my Wii U today. Everything's working exactly the same.

I can play original and backups on vWii, run HBC apps, and play Wii U games just fine.

So yeah, I'd say it's safe to update.

6. flo

flo GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2006
    Hungary
    Are you referring to 4.1.0 update ?

7. SirByte

SirByte GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    If you look here
    Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U_system_software#System_Update_releases
    there's nothing much to write home about after the 4.0.0 update which did bring some interesting features. After that it's just security fixes i.e. holes being plugged.

8. postdeals
    OP

postdeals Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2014
    United States
    how can i rip WIIU games I rented and play them later on my wii u?

9. Vion

Vion Member

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2007
    I am pretty sure at the moment. You can rip the game but you have no method of running it.

10. crwys

crwys GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 26, 2008
    United States
  11. flo

flo GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2006
    Hungary
    I just hope for the gamepad to work in vWii . Are you reading this , Nintendo ?

12. SirByte

SirByte GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    Remember: on 3DS the Gateway cart only works on v4.1-v4.5 firmware; if you updated past that you're Shit Out of Luck. My advice is not to update any console unless you have a pressing reason to do otherwise (e.g. a game requires it) and when you do, fully realize you might be locking yourself out of a kernel exploit.

As well, don't forget that the PS3 was "fully hacked" and "we know ALL the keys" and bla bla, but once you updated too far and you locked yourself out, you were screwed (need expensive hardware, get high-risk crap like making sure you get a good dump first by just looking at the data in a hex editor, which you just have to guess at, to downgrade back).

13. osirisjem

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
  14. nonameboy

nonameboy GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Gambia, The
    and which game do you want to rip? are they any? :yayu:

15. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I doubt that would ever be a worry with the WiiU because Wii Key will release something down the line and Nintendo will have it as open as the Wii was for hacking cause it sold more! Remember the 3DS was a very high selling item and didn't need hacking to boost sales! If Nintendo think they can shift more units by letting a few play pirate copy's on the WiiU then they will probably slip something in to let it be hacked! The original Wii was not just the best selling machine of its generation because it was popular it sold because you could hack it to death and that is what made it a good home console!!!

16. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    How so? I thought that TT said that somewhere around 300,000 unique ip's have installed the HBC, and 100 million Wii's have sold, that's less than one half of 1% hacked Wii's out of all the Wii's sold. I don't think that hackers drove hardware sales of the Wii.

17. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Yeah I didn't totally mean every Wii unit was sold solely on the fact you can hack them but it did sell alot more units because of it! Wii U's are not really doing that well at the moment on sales even though I do luv mine but I reckon they will always be able to be hacked somehow, no matter what Firmware there on because of this!

18. SirByte

SirByte GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    My Wii was online but my WiiU has never been online, and does have HBC installed on its vWii sandbox.