Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
And like the Wii.

Why not just ship it with préinstall incomplete features?
they need to launch production earlier, and the included software might be not completed when they did.
Why would they stop developement while the production is in process? They can update their software all they want up to the release date. (extra time)

Of course they could include an old version with less features, but I guess it's their politic to give everyone the same software and features at launch.

thats exactly how i saw it

you can get the product out earlier and your not waiting on the software features which can just be added through an update :D

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone has wifi. And if you can't go online, you lose a substantial amount of the console's functionality.
Nintendo_Wii_Lan_Adapter.jpg

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not everyone has wifi.
Wait, they don't? I thought nearly everyone has a router and nearly every router is a Wifi access point... Huh. If that's actually the case then that IS kind of dumb, but I have never heard of someone who has no Wifi here. If you have internet the chances of having Wifi are about >99% here it seems. Then again it could be different in other countries, so yeah. I mean, all handhelds and stuff need Wifi for online as well.

Reactions: Wizerzak

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Pay an extra £20 to use an ethernet cable because Nintendo didn't implement a basic feature which other consoles have?

EDIT: Just checked Amazon, I can get an adaptor for £7. Great, this makes everything better.

Wait, they don't? I thought nearly everyone has a router and nearly every router is a Wifi access point... Huh. If that's actually the case then that IS kind of dumb, but I have never heard of someone who has no Wifi here. If you have internet the chances of having Wifi are about >99% here it seems. Then again it could be different in other countries, so yeah. I mean, all handhelds and stuff need Wifi for online as well.

I work in GAME and when I tell people about how the 3DS/Vita need wifi for online activities, quite a lot of people actually don't have wifi.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Pay an extra £20 to use an ethernet cable because Nintendo didn't implement a basic feature which other consoles have?

I work in GAME and when I tell people about how the 3DS/Vita need wifi for online activities, quite a lot of people actually don't have wifi.

GAME stores around my area have hotspots inside for Vita's and 3DS's so people can update in store
(myself being an ex-GAME employee :D)

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
What you think that everyone has wifi?

Sorry but that is seriously fucked up, a lot of people may have internet but no wifi like my for instance and if I want to use wifi for anything I have to find a hotspot where I live otherwise I can't do anything with it and alot of people where I live is in the same situation about this cause they have good internet but not wifi.

And I should spend money on that because nintendo assumes everyone has wifi?

Yea. No. Unless it comes free with the console then I agree it has a purpose.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I should spend money on that because nintendo assumes everyone has wifi? Yea. No. Unless it comes free with the console then I agree it has a purpose.
same answer for both of you:
no, but at least you have the option to

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Difference in price for an adapter vs integrated is quite high for a consumer. If the Wii adapter ($24.95 in the US Nintendo store) is taken as an indicator, it's pretty clear that the consumer is the one loosing in this case. Adding the port in the manufacturing phase would probably cost a few cents or a dollar (as it's added via a machine), but now the consumer takes the price of a full adapter.

Reactions: emigre

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What you think that everyone has wifi?

Sorry but that is seriously fucked up, a lot of people may have internet but no wifi like my for instance and if I want to use wifi for anything I have to find a hotspot where I live otherwise I can't do anything with it and alot of people where I live is in the same situation about this cause they have good internet but not wifi.

And I should spend money on that because nintendo assumes everyone has wifi?

Yea. No. Unless it comes free with the console then I agree it has a purpose.
I thought:
A. Most people that buy a game console and want to connect it to the internet need a router for this because you can't just hook up multiple devices to the same internet connection.
B. Most routers work as a Wifi access point as well.
C. Conclusion: Most people that buy a game console have Wifi.

Seriously though this thread is getting WAY offtopic :P

Reactions: Wizerzak

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
WE JUST WANT TO USE AN ETHERNET CABLE WITHOUT HAVING TO RESORT TO PAYING EXTRA!!!
I understand what you are trying get to here,but just wait for Nintendo to realize another one of there mistake's,and they'll probably start packaging the Ethernet Dongle in with the Wii u's later on,anyways it doesn't stop me from getting my Wii u at launch,its already a pain in the rear to keep my Xbox 360 connected through to Xbox live via Ethernet cause I have a Elite,so this is good for me.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought:
A. Most people that buy a game console and want to connect it to the internet need a router for this because you can't just hook up multiple devices to the same internet connection.
B. Most routers work as a Wifi access point as well.
C. Conclusion: Most people that buy a game console have Wifi.

Seriously though this thread is getting WAY offtopic :P
I agree that most people who want to connect their console to the internet need a router and all that. We all know the process however it does stand that alot of gamers don't have that wifi connection even though they want to and thats because of their own personal circumstances.

The option to spend extra because nintendo assumes everyone has wifi?
No in circumstances like this it should be a free addition because unlike Japan and other Asian countries its bloody difficult to get good Wifi. Even more when you live in a location where the internet is worst than the rest of the world.

He wasnt talking about the ethernet port, and Nintendo doesnt even make the adapters. Hell, most modrems come with one.
Sorry I guess I misread.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How on earth did you make it onto staff
This is, like, sub-GameFAQs quality posting right here.
And no, I'm not talking about your opinions which you are fully entitled to.
Wait, this is a sub-GameFAQs quality site anyway never mind

If you're gonna get all butthurt over this site then why do you go here? Didn't you leave already?

Also I don't have a large tree branch embedded deep inside my colon that prevents me from making jokes.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I won't get a Wii U for now, and to tell you the truth i'm seeing games released years ago but on a Nintendo platform now,this is kinda great, but those are the wrong games that is, or they take up too much time to port over. This would be my feelings about the Wii U.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If it is just for apps that require Internet to be useful I think it is OK to have such an update, which seems to be the case here...

If it would be for example for backward compatibility I actually would mind that but as I said it makes sense for Miiverse and such, since these things, as Cyan already stated, are being optimized even after production started so definitely an update is kinda the right thing to do here!

In relation to the ethernet-port: I personally never used it but actually I'd rather get an HDMI cable with the console, that everyone needs instead of a port, that can be bought for 7 bucks. Most people use wifi so why should every WiiU owner pay for something that just "some" hardcore online players use regularly...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all...