Hacking Wii U System Update 5.1.1 is out now.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh ho ho, those sneaky punks :D

Edit: So it turns out. the damn Google Fiber network box has no way to block IP addresses, so unless I can somehow find a way to block the Wii U from accessing the router or some kind of port forwarding trick, I'm SOL until they can add such a feature. Unless something can be done with port forwarding?

Reactions: VinsCool

mutinize

dazed and confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can still bypass installing the update by booting into vWii and then going into espresso, in case anybody was wondering. The update managed to download but hell will freeze over before I allow it to install.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can still bypass installing the update by booting into vWii and then going into espresso, in case anybody was wondering. The update managed to download but hell will freeze over before I allow it to install.

Wait, so it won't prompt an update if I go from vWii to Wii U menu/Espresso? I thought unplugging it bricked it during download. Good, if it's guaranteed, I'll disable WiFi for now. I can't go online with Mario Kart without it dropping anyways.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Wait, so it won't prompt an update if I go from vWii to Wii U menu/Espresso? I thought unplugging it bricked it during download. Good, if it's guaranteed, I'll disable WiFi for now. I can't go online with Mario Kart without it dropping anyways.

Unpluginig while downloading update can't brick, but doing so while INSTALLING the update is dangerous.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nope, that's just for getting around if the update gets downloaded and wants to install.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unpluginig while downloading update can't brick, but doing so while INSTALLING the update is dangerous.

Okay, that makes more sense, but going from vWii to Wii U after works every time? How do I know it won't prompt an update?

Nope, that's just for getting around if the update gets downloaded and wants to install.

So...what should I do then?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked for google fiber in support google. It looks like they don't have options for blocking IPs and URLs sadly.

Right, I spoke to an agent about that, but what can I do besides that? Blocking certain ports, forward the Wii U to a block port? Go to vWii to Wii U and disable WiFi? I can't play MK 8 online anyway as it always drops.

I really don't know :unsure:

Damn. Guess I'll have to disable WiFi for the time being.

mutinize

dazed and confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought unplugging it bricked it during download
Unplugging it during installation will brick it. But if anyone thinks that's a good idea then they probably deserve it for a life lesson anyways.

going from vWii to Wii U after works every time? How do I know it won't prompt an update?
I'm no guarantee but from the two or three times I've attempted it I wasn't prompted to update. It says I'm still on 5.1.0 through system settings as well. I'm impatient and want to play Monster Hunter. No measly update will keep me from that!

Booting into espresso = "An update is ready to install."
Booting through vWii = Espresso menu without update prompt

Reactions: VinsCool

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh ho ho, those sneaky punks :D

Edit: So it turns out. the damn Google Fiber network box has no way to block IP addresses, so unless I can somehow find a way to block the Wii U from accessing the router or some kind of port forwarding trick, I'm SOL until they can add such a feature. Unless something can be done with port forwarding?

Alternatives I can think of:
1) Custom DNS- On the PS3 I used this (opendns?) to block updates since I had a good PS3 at the time as well as my other one. Only downside is that if you have a dynamic IP address you either have to use your router to update the DNS server or have a client on your computer.

2) Disable Wifi- I do this on my wii u since I don't need online right now.

3) Second router- Have another router behind the Fibre box which has more features, I currently have a cheap DD-WRT router behind my ISP router which I have to use.

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys know you can configure a proxy on the Wii U connection tab right? :P

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alternatives I can think of:
1) Custom DNS- On the PS3 I used this (opendns?) to block updates since I had a good PS3 at the time as well as my other one. Only downside is that if you have a dynamic IP address you either have to use your router to update the DNS server or have a client on your computer.

2) Disable Wifi- I do this on my wii u since I don't need online right now.

3) Second router- Have another router behind the Fibre box which has more features, I currently have a cheap DD-WRT router behind my ISP router which I have to use.

That's what the Google rep told me I needed to do if I wanted to blacklist an IP address, but for now, boot in vWii, then to Wii U, then disable WiFi.

You guys know you can configure a proxy on the Wii U connection tab right? :P

Which would do what exactly? I have seen that tab before yes, but uh, what do we do with it I guess is what I'm trying to ask. Wouldn't even know what to put in there. Would that block something that needs to block?

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using a proxy server would be one method that doesn't require editing router settings. You can run a proxy host on your computer and have it act as a proxy to forward requests from Wii U.

Since you are the person the Wii U is asking questions to (over TCP/UDP) you can choose what answers you give it.

This would be a elequent method as it doesn't require router access and ensures there is a kill switch. If the router gets reset firewall tables could be dropped and NUS could leak in. When a proxy fails you don't have that problem.

I saw your problem in other thread (Google Fiber) and thought you might find the above information useful. Basically you are letting the PC be a hop in your route and dropping all outboind connections to NUS. Pardon my editing, I'm on mobile. :P

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using a proxy server would be one method that doesn't require editing router settings. You can run a proxy host on your computer and have it act as a proxy to forward requests from Wii U.

Since you are the person the Wii U is asking questions to (over TCP/UDP) you can choose what answers you give it.

This would be a elequent method as it doesn't require router access and ensures there is a kill switch. If the router gets reset firewall tables could be dropped and NUS could leak in. When a proxy fails you don't have that problem.

I saw your problem in other thread (Google Fiber) and thought you might find the above information useful. Pardon my editing, I'm on mobile. :P

Intriguing method, so in a roundabout way, I could use that method to potentially prevent my Wii U from updating as a means of getting around the Google Fiber router's limitations? Why this router doesn't have blacklisting, MAC filtering, etc is a mystery and inconvenient, but this method sounds like a very viable path for me to take :) Okay, what are the steps to actually setting this proxy server up in the Wii U settings? Would I need to know the IPv4/IPv6 address the Wii U assigns (I assume it's static and not dynamic, but I could be wrong)? I might need more info on how to do this correctly :P

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
fuck me ninty are serious this time. guess my LAN cable stays unplugged than but now i can't check the eshop every friday or play mk online anymore now...:angry:

Muskusrat

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Got the update servers blocked and no power on my WiiU when I am not using it. So I am good, since it will ask to update each time and I can just cancel it ;). And I can still play Mario Kart 8 online

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
“Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.”

Was hoping it'd bring something useful (a new feature) but oh well it's done now and next time I won't have to deal with this when booting up to play NSMBU (just one last stage to 100% and I'm done with it).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCYyXcb_pJk Lol spiderman dong