Hacking Wii U System Update 5.1.1 is out now.

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
Uh...no. Hashes are just used to uniquely identify a piece of data without being the data itself. For signing executables, you need Nintendo's private key.
afaik executable images are encrypted and signed. Image hash is calculated and checked, then signature checked (so you can not modify image and its hash), then decrypted.
f0f released hashes of these keys which used to decrypt images. Not keys, because they do not want to share them.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Intriguing method, so in a roundabout way, I could use that method to potentially prevent my Wii U from updating as a means of getting around the Google Fiber router's limitations? Why this router doesn't have blacklisting, MAC filtering, etc is a mystery and inconvenient, but this method sounds like a very viable path for me to take :) Okay, what are the steps to actually setting this proxy server up in the Wii U settings? Would I need to know the IPv4/IPv6 address the Wii U assigns (I assume it's static and not dynamic, but I could be wrong)? I might need more info on how to do this correctly :P
I had to use a proxy server, as my router setup wasn't blocking any URL I inputted in the blacklist, so creating my own proxy server did the trick. Nice thing about proxy servers you can actually use Wildcards in the URL as well to make it more dynamic blocking. Yes, you do need to know your PC IP address not your ISP IP address usually version 4, and use that IP address into the proxy setting in the WiiU. Generally your PC IP address needs to be static and usually is, but sometimes a router may assign you a different one, if you want to keep this from happening, you must manually configure your network configuration on the PC side and know what DNS address your ISP uses. But for the most part, you're probably fine by leaving as automatic in Windows. Also if your proxy server is off, your whole Wii U is offline, as if it is unplugged from the internet. No connection cannot get through without a proxy server running.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had to use a proxy server, as my router setup wasn't blocking any URL I inputted in the blacklist, so creating my own proxy server did the trick. Nice thing about proxy servers you can actually use Wildcards in the URL as well to make it more dynamic blocking. Yes, you do need to know your PC IP address not your ISP IP address usually version 4, and use that IP address into the proxy setting in the WiiU. Generally your PC IP address needs to be static and usually is, but sometimes a router may assign you a different one, if you want to keep this from happening, you must manually configure your network configuration on the PC side and know what DNS address your ISP uses. But for the most part, you're probably fine by leaving as automatic in Windows. Also if your proxy server is off, your whole Wii U is offline, as if it is unplugged from the internet. No connection cannot get through without a proxy server running.

Okay, so I have a really really weird setup, it's not a typical network. My current desktop uses an Ethernet cable, which goes from the PC to the jack in the wall. The jack below that has another Ethernet cable, which is about twenty feet. This goes from the second jack to the network box/router in the living room, so there are two Ethernet cables; one for my PC, one for the router, so the desktop is not connected at all. So essentially, I can't use the desktop's IPv4 address for the proxy server in the Wii U settings. In fact, there is no given centralized computer on the network at all, so there's no way I can use my PC's address. All other devices connect to it with a wireless connection, but again the router itself uses a different Ethernet/RJ-45 jack on its own thing. The network box has an IP address, so could I use that one instead since it's the actual device "in charge" so to speak?

Summary: Two Ethernet connections, two jacks in my room. One is for my desktop, the other is for the Google Fiber router since my desktop is too far from the router and is on its own connection. Is there no other way? I have a Windows 7 laptop, but I doubt it'll do any good.

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, so I have a really really weird setup, it's not a typical network. My current desktop uses an Ethernet cable, which goes from the PC to the jack in the wall. The jack below that has another Ethernet cable, which is about twenty feet. This goes from the second jack to the network box/router in the living room, so there are two Ethernet cables; one for my PC, one for the router, so the desktop is not connected at all. So essentially, I can't use the desktop's IPv4 address for the proxy server in the Wii U settings. In fact, there is no given centralized computer on the network at all, so there's no way I can use my PC's address. All other devices connect to it with a wireless connection, but again the router itself uses a different Ethernet/RJ-45 jack on its own thing. The network box has an IP address, so could I use that one instead since it's the actual device "in charge" so to speak?

Summary: Two Ethernet connections, two jacks in my room. One is for my desktop, the other is for the Google Fiber router since my desktop is too far from the router and is on its own connection. Is there no other way? I have a Windows 7 laptop, but I doubt it'll do any good.
So you have 2 routers or router + switch?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you have 2 routers or router + switch?

Nope. There are two Ethernet jacks in my room. One is used to connect my desktop to the wall. The second jack goes from the wall to the network box/Google Fiber's router, that's it. No switches, hubs, nada. My desktop is not part of any network, just Ethernet going to the wall, not connected to the network box at all, I can't access the router settings unless I got a longer cable to go from here the router, but given all the walls and corners, I'd need another twenty foot or so cable.

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What proxy server are you using Oxy? I just set up Anon Proxy Server (because it was the first result) and blocked all hosts that are not 192.168.1.0/24. I haven't tried it yet, but that should allow me to access my private subnet where my webserver is located while blocking all other outbound connections.

I had previously just blocked my Wii U's MAC address for WAN in my router settings. But I like the proxy idea, because there is a "killswitch" and it might be helpful to other people if we create a tutorial.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What proxy server are you using Oxy? I just set up Anon Proxy Server (because it was the first result) and blocked all hosts that are not 192.168.1.0/24. I haven't tried it yet, but that should allow me to access my private subnet where my webserver is located while blocking all other outbound connections.

I had previously just blocked my Wii U's MAC address for WAN in my router settings. But I like the proxy idea, because there is a "killswitch" and it might be helpful to other people if we create a tutorial.

Could you give me some suggestions on what I can do, my setup right now is very unusual in that I have two Ethernet jacks, one for the router, one for my desktop, since it's too far from the router, so there's no given computer connected to it? I can use my Chromebook and laptop to connect to the router, but they're not the "main" computer so to speak. Anyone in my apartment uses their smartphones, tablets, etc to connect. Unless I got a longer cable, there's no way to connect my desktop to the router, no way am I getting a wireless adapter for it, wireless here is horrendously slow. I know the router has an IP address, wouldn't I just use that? I need some clarification on what it is I need to do. Failing that, get a new router, set it up and blacklist that way but, I'd rather not spend money.

Really could use some help with this.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It sounds like your router has more then one Ethernet port. I am thinking the "jack in the wall" is mostly for extension, like extension cord for electronic to be plugged in without being near an outlet. I dunno, I never encountered that setup. If your router/modem has an extra LAN not WAN Ethernet port, you could try buying a longer network cable for your desktop and try connecting it directly to the router/modem, and see if you still have access to the internet, or you could buy a USB wireless module for your desktop and connect wirelessly through that, then have your Wii U connect to that module that is connected to your desktop. I imagine that all devices that connect should have an IP address, as that is how routers are able to distinguish which devices is which, heck even the router itself has an IP address called gateway, but I am surprised that your setup does not even have an IP address, and that in itself is really bizarre. I almost forgot that you have mentioned a Windows 7 laptop, if you can connect to the internet with that, you can use your laptop as a proxy server and forget about buying anything for your desktop, unless you eventually want to use your desktop as a proxy server if possible.
Before even carrying out this project, I have a question
1. You say that your desktop is not connected at all, does this mean that the desktop cannot connect to the internet?
2. If your desktop does connect to the the internet, go into command prompt and type in ipconfig, it should show you the PC's IP address, you want the version 4, if it does not show anything in version 4 but does shows something in version 6 then obviously you're using IPv6 protocol. If this is the case then I am not sure if it is possible to setup a proxy server as I am using v4.
3. If using IPv6 then you could try manually configure IPv4 in Windows and give it an IP address, although it may conflict your internet connection or proxy may not work at all, I dunno.

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
afaik executable images are encrypted and signed. Image hash is calculated and checked, then signature checked (so you can not modify image and its hash), then decrypted.
f0f released hashes of these keys which used to decrypt images. Not keys, because they do not want to share them.

So it's not like Nintendo is just signing the hash value, under the assumption that you will not be able to generate a SHA1 hash collision with a modified executable?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like your router has more then one Ethernet port. I am thinking the "jack in the wall" is mostly for extension, like extension cord for electronic to be plugged in without being near an outlet. I dunno, I never encountered that setup. If your router/modem has an extra LAN not WAN Ethernet port, you could try buying a longer network cable for your desktop and try connecting it directly to the router/modem, and see if you still have access to the internet, or you could buy a USB wireless module for your desktop and connect wirelessly through that, then have your Wii U connect to that module that is connected to your desktop. I imagine that all devices that connect should have an IP address, as that is how routers are able to distinguish which devices is which, heck even the router itself has an IP address called gateway, but I am surprised that your setup does not even have an IP address, and that in itself is really bizarre. I almost forgot that you have mentioned a Windows 7 laptop, if you can connect to the internet with that, you can use your laptop as a proxy server and forget about buying anything for your desktop, unless you eventually want to use your desktop as a proxy server if possible.
Before even carrying out this project, I have a question
1. You say that your desktop is not connected at all, does this mean that the desktop cannot connect to the internet?
2. If your desktop does connect to the the internet, go into command prompt and type in ipconfig, it should show you the PC's IP address, you want the version 4, if it does not show anything in version 4 but does shows something in version 6 then obviously you're using IPv6 protocol. If this is the case then I am not sure if it is possible to setup a proxy server as I am using v4.
3. If using IPv6 then you could try manually configure IPv4 in Windows and give it an IP address, although it may conflict your internet connection or proxy may not work at all, I dunno.

That won't do me much good because A, the wireless here sucks big time, drops a lot, very unreliable, so it absolutely must be an Ethernet connection (much faster and more stable), a longer cable would work better, BUT, the router itself has no options for blacklisting because Google Fiber hasn't added that into the router firmware; so no, a wireless USB adapter is not ideal given the sheer no. of wireless devices in this building complex, too much interference, too much dropping and too unreliable. Ethernet or bust for my desktop ;) I'd have to set up a proxy via the Wii U if I can somehow get a hold of a super long CAT-6 cable, and network box has about four or so LAN ports, and would let me plug in just fine. That's the only situation unless I got a new router, which the Google rep said wouldn't cause issues, and blacklist the IP addresses that way, but for not, a longer Ethernet cable and setting up the Wii U to use the IPv4 address from my PC would be the cheapest solution. I refuse to get a USB wireless adapter. I had one last year and it sucked big time.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That won't do me much good because A, the wireless here sucks big time, drops a lot, very unreliable, so it absolutely must be an Ethernet connection (much faster and more stable), a longer cable would work better, BUT, the router itself has no options for blacklisting because Google Fiber hasn't added that into the router firmware; so no, a wireless USB adapter is not ideal given the sheer no. of wireless devices in this building complex, too much interference, too much dropping and too unreliable. Ethernet or bust for my desktop ;) I'd have to set up a proxy via the Wii U if I can somehow get a hold of a super long CAT-6 cable, and network box has about four or so LAN ports, and would let me plug in just fine. That's the only situation unless I got a new router, which the Google rep said wouldn't cause issues, and blacklist the IP addresses that way, but for not, a longer Ethernet cable and setting up the Wii U to use the IPv4 address from my PC would be the cheapest solution. I refuse to get a USB wireless adapter. I had one last year and it sucked big time.
To be honest, I would try for a longer cable option first before going out to buy a router, I have a router behind a router, and the block did not work out, and I think proxy servers are the best way to go about this. Also the cables at monoprice is not expensive either.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I would try for a longer cable option first before going out to buy a router, I have a router behind a router, and the block did not work out, and I think proxy servers are the best way to go about this. Also the cables at monoprice is not expensive either.

Monoprice is an awesome place to buy them, that's where I got my current CAT-6 cable, and frankly, setting up a proxy server would be my best bet, as Relys said, it acts as a kill switch so-to-speak, and would prevent the Wii U from updating. So yeah, in the mean time, I'll need to disable WiFi.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I am using CCProxy, it was a little confusing at first but I got a hang of it.
Monoprice is an awesome place to buy them, that's where I got my current CAT-6 cable, and frankly, setting up a proxy server would be my best bet, as Relys said, it acts as a kill switch so-to-speak, and would prevent the Wii U from updating. So yeah, in the mean time, I'll need to disable WiFi.
This is the best way to prevent an update in the meantime.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using CCProxy, it was a little confusing at first but I got a hang of it.

This is the best way to prevent an update in the meantime.

Yeah, boot into vWii, then to the Wii U OS, settings, delete the connections, then disable WiFi. Once I can get a longer cable, using the Wii U proxy settings will be the best solution for me.

Relys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Another alternative would be to purchase a Wii U network adapter (hardwire one) and then plug that into a second ethernet port on your PC. If your PC only has 1 ethernet port you could use a switch. You would then be able to configure an LAN that just your PC and Wii U was on. If you wanted internet for your Wii U, you could add firewall rules on your PC to block NUS and then bridge the connection with Wii U to share your internet connection.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another alternative would be to purchase a Wii U network adapter (hardwire one) and then plug that into a second ethernet port on your PC. If your PC only has 1 ethernet port you could use a switch. You would then be able to configure an LAN that just your PC and Wii U was on. If you wanted internet for your Wii U, you could add firewall rules on your PC to block NUS and then bridge the connection with Wii U to share your internet connection.
Also would need to buy a crossover not straight CAT6 cable too right?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

My PC is too far from the Wii U, so I'd have to get a long cable for that for sure, and a switch would indeed work, set up the rules for access and pretty much prevent NUS form downloading updates. Ugh, man, this makes my head hurt....damn... I do have a firewall via MSE on Windows 7, so I can definitely do it that way as well.

*Sigh* And my head hurts even more, hell, it might be easier for me to get another router at this point and blacklist them. I just don't know what to do with this anymore.... crap. I need to organize all the steps I need to take.

Relys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't believe that matters. PC's are smart enough to detect and use accordingly.

Also, if your PC and Wii U are on separate networks you can still host a proxy server on your PC and connect your Wii U to it via a public IP address.

As long as both devices can connect to the internet, you can setup a proxy. They don't have to share a subnet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: