Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be so glad to beta-test this whole thing on an European Wii U (because I'm from Austria ;P ) but I guess nobody needs that :D

All regions should be virtually the same (minus text), so it's more important to have every version working. Once the Webkit exploit is out we'll definitely need some people to test backporting it to fill the gap for 5.1.1-5.3.1

Reactions: Margen67 and Zedd91

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
All regions should be virtually the same (minus text), so it's more important to have every version working. Once the Webkit exploit is out we'll definitely need some people to test backporting it to fill the gap for 5.1.1-5.3.1

Sadly I'm on 5.3.2 already which I regret now that someone linked me to this thread (was it you on YouTube in a reply maybe? Can't remember.) but I sure as hell turned these bloody updates off now!

Reactions: NWPlayer123

x02a

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes, Hykem's got the 5.3.2 Webkit exploit working in a VM and now we're trying to port it to work on the latest version, then as mentioned before we'll probably clean up Relys' updated build system and then (no promises but) we'll release that all as a package and move on to polishing up the kernel exploit.
And mario Party 10 comes with the 5.3.2 Update on the Disk :)

IbbyPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can one use cafiine to access he update partition of a disk (making the console think there is no update needed) as a slightly complicated alternate to the currently impossible (for the public) firmware spoof?

CosmoCortney

Lawn Meower
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
Can one use cafiine to access he update partition of a disk (making the console think there is no update needed) as a slightly complicated alternate to the currently impossible (for the public) firmware spoof?

from GCN and Wii games I know that there are routines for each file of the fst that tell what file to load. swapping those values can cause loading different files.
Maybe this method could be used to make the system thinking there's no update by overwriting the memory range where the update partition's routine is stored..

EDIT: these routines are stored in the very end of the main RAM (in the case of GCN and Wii games. Dunno about Wii U games)

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

why would you port the exploit to insignificant FW verisons?

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, Hykem's got the 5.3.2 Webkit exploit working in a VM and now we're trying to port it to work on the latest version, then as mentioned before we'll probably clean up Relys' updated build system and then (no promises but) we'll release that all as a package and move on to polishing up the kernel exploit.
EDIT: Also, if you wanna block URLs, here's all the ones Hykem found:
  • nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
  • nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
  • nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
  • nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
  • nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
Should still allow online play but block updates.
I thought it was not possible to play online without updating.

Reactions: pelago

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
presumably because its significant to the people still on them.

Can't they update to the latest exploitable FW?

Edit: I'm saying this because I have seen the same thing happen before in the beginnings of the PS3 scene.
after some time everyone came to the same conclusion 3.55 (don't wast time porting an exploit, spend it on improving it or finding more)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say this, do you mean an emulator, or EmuNAND, or...?

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With this update, will it make the next update for Sm4sh (tournaments, Mew2) impossible to get on the 5.3.2 systems? If so I really hope someone finds a way around that.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No idea, haven't looked into it, I'll probably get an RPC server up and see what file reads I can do.
So if I am on 5.0.0 would it be better for me to stay offline, or update now and then go back offline?

Your best bet is to update now, then go back offline, easier and cleaner than updating by disc whenever you wanna run a new game.
I thought it was not possible to play online without updating.
If you're on the latest version, it's just a preventative measure, if you're not on 5.3.2, then yeah, no online still.
When you say this, do you mean an emulator, or EmuNAND, or...?
Literally that, just a VM running on ubuntu for easy debugging.
With this update, will it make the next update for Sm4sh (tournaments, Mew2) impossible to get on the 5.3.2 systems? If so I really hope someone finds a way around that.

Correct, though in the near future we'll probably get emuNAND working and then you'll be able to download it with that. emuNAND /should/ be undetectable which is the nice part, no bans hopefully (at least with that, if you do stupid stuff like trying to cheat online then of course you're gonna get banned)

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would that all be on the computer? Or would the emunand be installed on a wiiu's SD and just accessed by the exploits?

I can't speak at all for what Hykem's going to do, but I'd expect him to get all his IOSU work done, make an IOSU exploit for the latest version, then look into emuNAND using that, so that we can just store files on SD/USB.

IbbyPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't speak at all for what Hykem's going to do, but I'd expect him to get all his IOSU work done, make an IOSU exploit for the latest version, then look into emuNAND using that, so that we can just store files on SD/USB.
Didn't you say that the kernel exploit itself provides usb access?

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't you say that the kernel exploit itself provides usb access?

By default, USB is encrypted. That would give homebrU a place to store files, but a computer couldn't make heads or tails of it. We need the unique per-console OTP keys to allow a computer to read a WFS formatted drive. The files could be saved on an unencrypted USB stick, but that would be a lot of extra work for someone to rewrite the USB IO, and (probably an IOSU exploit to even allow that). The Wii U does have built-in support for unencrypted SD cards, but sadly the browser lacks the permissions to use those features. That's why we need an IOSU exploit.

EDIT: You got me again, NWPlayer123! :ninja:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Guess Amazon is ditching Alexa for Rufus lol