Hacking Wii - U emulation

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't use NFC to receive video and audio, as NFC works over very short distances only.

Based on the reports I've seen, the Wii U GamePad latency is very low (1/60th of a second, according to Ubisoft). This means that most ordinary PCs are unlikely to contain the technology used to communicate with it. The technology could be completely proprietary, or based on an existing technology licensed from another company. WiDi/Miracast is high latency and WirelessHD requires line of sight (and is a bit overkill, since the GamePad isn't HD), so that rules those two out. WHDI can do ~1ms latency, which is quite a bit lower than 1/60th of a second. Wikipedia claims it's based on IEEE 802.11, which is possible, but I think very few wireless chipsets will be able to communicate with the GamePad, just like DS Download Play.

tl;dr no, I don't think many of us will be able to stream audio and video to the GamePad.
Would it be some of the new specs? Like ac or ad, I thought I heard some where that ad was going to run at 7Gb/sec but only in a short distance like 30 ft?

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't believe the amount of stupid Questions here in this Forum Specially,just goes to tell ya how uninformed People are,the console's not even out and People are asking for Homebrew, Emulation,hacks etc,the Wii u is as powerful as the ps3!do you have a emulator for the ps3?NO!in fact the Wii u is at least 25% more Powerful than the ps3,so there is no way in hell they would have a Emulator up and running during the life time of the console,and considering the fact that Nintendo has started taking countermeasures against Hacking it self(A good Example is the 3DS)I doubt that it will even get opened for Homebrew at the most least.

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
Funny, the Wii U isn't even out yet, let alone, for the Hackers, and there's now already a question about Wii U Emulation?
Why won't you just look into the Glass Ball?
animaatjes-glazen-bol-68083.jpg

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Would it be some of the new specs? Like ac or ad, I thought I heard some where that ad was going to run at 7Gb/sec but only in a short distance like 30 ft?
Faster speed isn't what's necessary, it's latency that's the issue. A wireless device could theoretically transfer at 7Gb/sec, but things like handshakes, data compression/decompression and packet loss requiring retransmission can add to latency. Apparently, Intel have their WiDi tech down to 60ms latency with the latest revision (as of September 2012). Technically, 802.11g would be fast enough to send data for 854x480 raw pixels plus audio with plenty of room to spare.

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I really wanna see where this goes then, if they are unleashing new tech on the world en-mass. maybe its a combo of two techs wireless and bluetooth like the Bluethooth 3.0 + highspeed
Bluetooth 3.0+HS provides theoretical data transfer speeds of up to 24 Mbit/s, though not over the Bluetooth link itself. Instead, the Bluetooth link is used for negotiation and establishment, and the high data rate traffic is carried over a collocated 802.11 link.
but I didnt see in the spec where the latency sits at on both. you could run video and audio on one and then user input and rumble and what else on the other channel.

qwerty5alive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The company won all the lawsuits actually, but all the legal fees killed them and went out of business. The Wii could handle PSX games well for the most part, but the team responsible hasn't updated the emulator in a long time and I doubt we'll ever see a new release. They got sued because they tried to legalize commercial emulation on a PC, something Sony wasn't too fond of, so if you don't want to get sued, don't make your emulators commercial, problem solved.

Good point. Who really wants to play PlayStation on a Wii though? I know the first time I played FF7 was on my pc... I used my keyboard as the controller. I enjoyed FF7 a lot more on my pc to be honest... Save states are great... Made Megaman 4 a lot more enjoyable. My parents were always telling me to turn off the game and if you're not at a save point, it makes it hard... Emulation made my childhood a lot better! ZSNES was the best!

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good point. Who really wants to play PlayStation on a Wii though? I know the first time I played FF7 was on my pc... I used my keyboard as the controller. I enjoyed FF7 a lot more on my pc to be honest... Save states are great... Made Megaman 4 a lot more enjoyable. My parents were always telling me to turn off the game and if you're not at a save point, it makes it hard... Emulation made my childhood a lot better! ZSNES was the best!

If you use the classic controller pro, its the same as using a PS controller. Because of this, I don't see why you wouldn't want to play PSX games on the Wii, I use the WiiSX emulator all the time. Granted a handful of games don't work properly, but for the most part all PS1 games run at full speed and its a great emulator. (BTW, WiiSX has save states, have you not used it?)

qwerty5alive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use the classic controller pro, its the same as using a PS controller. Because of this, I don't see why you wouldn't want to play PSX games on the Wii, I use the WiiSX emulator all the time. Granted a handful of games don't work properly, but for the most part all PS1 games run at full speed and its a great emulator. (BTW, WiiSX has save states, have you not used it?)

Wasn't saying wiisx doesn't have save states. I was saying ps1 didn't... :)

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii Emulation and HomeBrew took a while but it happened faster then most because it was basically a GameCube. The Wii U, does not have the GameCube compatibility so Speculating on Home Brew or emulation is just that speculation. That said, The Wii-U is backwards compatible with most Wii titles that are not running off of the GameCube devkit. I am scared to think that Twilight princess might not work on a Wii U because of this fact and its one of the only Wii games I own... :( sad day...

Upside, Wii controllers work on the Wii U and they Store Data that works on the Wii U for mii's This might be a back back door needed to push home brew in but remember HomeBrew Dev, and making homebrew applications with no hardware is pointless and kinda funny... If you don't know how the hardware and software runs and you can't tweak the code, how can you develop for it?

Steps to HomeBrew

1. have system and break it open!
2. Be able to debug code while system is running (on wii this was done through Gamecube memory card slots)
3. Hex edit a game while running(change values like exp, health, money, etc...)
4. Write application in edited coded information on savefile in game.
A. Before writing an application, you need to figure out how the processor runs data through the system and writes data that is compatible with how the processor operates.
(There is a reason that Mac switched to Intel kiddies! That said, Unity, has a development tool for Wii U. You might say, create what ever homebrew boot app you want in Unity? Sorry, you are not aloud to have it. Read this http://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform/consoles)
5. After you are able to get an application to run like Hello WOrld, Get a small small operating system to run like some distro of Linux but doesnt have to be linux mind you.... just easier people love porting it!

So if you did't read anything else.... Read this... Talking about homebrew on the Wii U is fun but pointless till some one can get there hands on a system and crack it open.

I have a better step by step:

Step one, wait for team twiizer to come out with something

That's it

qwerty5alive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a better step by step:

Step one, wait for team twiizer to come out with something

That's it

Lazy ass! LOL! Give a kid a script and he thinks he is amazing... LOL! Don't you ever want to figure out things for your self? See first hand how something works and know why it works? Guess that's an easier answer... No, you don't want to know. You just want other people to do all the work for you so you can reap the rewards.

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the emulation front: Theoretically Dolphin should be able to achieve some level of emulation of WiiU titles, if the rumors surrounding the WiiU CPU are correct (essentially a 3 core OC'd broadway with extra instructions). What level and speed of emulation is quite another story though.

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
Why is everyone saying the Wii U's not out yet, it is.

Anyway, how did the Wii emulator come about? Is there there any current known reason why that can't happen for the Wii U?
Let's try stay on topic, people.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lazy ass! LOL! Give a kid a script and he thinks he is amazing... LOL! Don't you ever want to figure out things for your self? See first hand how something works and know why it works? Guess that's an easier answer... No, you don't want to know. You just want other people to do all the work for you so you can reap the rewards.

Uh wrong, I just don't share my work anymore because of the general asshats on the sites talking about how I don't know shit

And you obviously don't know how to take a joke that reflects on a majority of the community who really don't care how things work

qwerty5alive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh wrong, I just don't share my work anymore because of the general asshats on the sites talking about how I don't know shit

And you obviously don't know how to take a joke that reflects on a majority of the community who really don't care how things work

Was't really meant to be so derogatory... I am just mad I can't remember my original screen name... Took it out on you I guess... LOL! Guess its my own fault for falling off the radar for 3 years... I miss the good old days.... when grandma wasn't posting on forums looking on how to load the home stew.

played snes in wii mode today... give it some time we will be cooking right along. :)

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure the Wii Emulator was helped along thanks to the fact that Wii mode was hacked on the Wii, and homebrewers could run software on it to debug it and figure out it's specs and how the hardware behaves. This later translated to making an Emulator on the PC, because the emulator maker already had a decent knowledge on how the OS works on the Wii due to all that Wii mode hacking and such.

The same would most definitely be required for the Wii-U. They first need to know how the Wii-U operating system works. Then they need to make custom programs that run with it so they can debug the system. ALL of this requires that Wii-U mode be hacked. So until that can happen there will be no emulator.

The reason emulators for the PSX and similar consoles came out faster is because those systems are older and do not use anything resembling an operating system. Most just had simple firmware burned on a BIOS chip of sorts that had a preset set of instructions. Hackers merely dumped the contents of the chip and was able to figure out how the hardware worked on the older machines by other means. The games themselves for said consoles pretty much acted as the OS for the console in a way. But for the Wii, the OS is already present, so the game merely behaves as an app that runs on top of an existing OS. So without that OS working, the game most likely won't run either.

Today's consoles are closer in spec to full on computers, thus you won't be able to emulate them if you don't first understand how the software on them works.

So please, wait at least until after Wii-U mode is hacked before even considering asking this question. :P

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a lot of variables that can invalidate that rule. It depends on how well the system you are emulating is known at the lowest level and how well the system the emulator is written for is known, depends on the core (recompiler, interpreter), the similarity of the devices (as far as chip instruction sets go), ect.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay