Wii U blitzes PS3 and 360 as the "greenest" console

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's interesting. Last time around, Nintendo Wii had the highest of the volatile chemicals involved in the console. This time, i mean it does make sense, since the PS3 and 360 are 6 years old.

Also PS3 got into some trouble a few years back because they were using lead solder on the boards, and had to stop selling to the UK till they got it all figured out. Who does that actually set back? The UK, because lead free solders are harder to solder with, and now we are having lots (chemical) more problems with the lead free than the leaded.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The thing with green peace's scoring system is that nintendo won't give out just any information to them, and that also gives them low scores.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On my list of reasons to buy a console energy consumption aka being green is number 3542. Basically I don't give a shit and this would never impact my buying choices

Reactions: weavile001

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder where you have found the CPU to be clocked at 1.24Ghz(only),Cause my sources tell me that its a
  • IBM PowerPC 750-based tri-core processor "Espresso" reportedly clocked at 1.24 GHz.
  • Firstly its a Tri-core processor
  • Secondly the total overall Processing power should be 3.72Ghz shouldn't it?correct me if I am wrong.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's from 2010....

won't let you buy adult rated games till 11pm?
why?
and? I cant find any current data, but using less electricity doesnt mean much when you are dumping harmful chemicals, and massive amount of e-waste, or heavily poluting the air with their factories

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
CPU frequency does not denote power. Three cores working at 1,24Ghz are just that - three cores working at 1,24Ghz. Power is denoted by MIPS.
Well that was a let down then :O

I hate Nintendo for sticking with the Same CPU type again(I understand that it is good for backwards compatibility)but come on how much are they gonna drag this on its been 3 generations,the GameCube's Gecko CPU was just a under clocked Wii CPU,then the Wii's CPU exact same thing only more speed,Wii u new Architecture but over all the same thing isn't it?and then they complain about loosing 3rd party support:glare: I am gonna pass on the Wii u,I am hoping for a True successor to the GameCube,Nintendo you'd better not mess that one up :whip:

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Why is this news again? We knew about the lower wattage a looong time ago, Wii U at 75W compared to the PS3's 80W. A slower CPU means that they can make a smaller system less prone to overheating.

And just to clear things up, power consumption and CPU speed tell us jack shit about graphical performance considering how the newer tech is laid out. What we need to know is what the GPU is capable of doing since it will also handle a lot of the processes instead of the CPU this time around, until then every "news" concerning what the Wii U is capable of is 100% useless. We have yet to find a single developer who has complained about what the GPU, RAM speed/space etc is capable of. However everyone is complaining about the CPU clock since it makes porting games from previous generation platforms a real pain in the ass because of how the PS3 and 360 heavily relies on raw CPU performance.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hate Nintendo for sticking with the Same CPU type again(I understand that it is good for backwards compatibility)but come on how much are they gonna drag this on its been 3 generations,the GameCube's Gecko CPU was just a under clocked Wii CPU,then the Wii's CPU exact same thing only more speed,Wii u new Architecture but over all the same thing isn't it?and then they complain about loosing 3rd party support:glare: I am gonna pass on the Wii u,I am hoping for a True successor to the GameCube,Nintendo you'd better not mess that one up :whip:

As opposed to Sony's tossing the developers into a brand new architecture and expecting them to hit the ground running?

Reactions: B-Blue

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
As opposed to Sony's tossing the developers into a brand new architecture and expecting them to hit the ground running?
Which is exactly what Nintendo is doing right now, it's a brand new architecture that requires devs to take use of the GPGPU instead. A faster CPU would have upped the price and size of the system yes but at least we wouldn't have such a pathetic launch with games clearly not made for the newer hardware.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's actually very logical to "stick" to a given architecture and improve it over time. We use x86 (and now the 64-bit version, the x86_64) architecture for most personal computers and nobody's complaining - in fact, it's great that we are, it makes programming easier. It's a matter of how much the architecture is improved that counts.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
wii-u-sacrifices-cpu-greater-efficiency.jpg

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of my favorite phrases when reading someone else's writing is "There's grammar all over the place."

And let me tell you sir, there is grammar allll over the place in this article.

Will you fix it or shall I?

In other news, I stopped caring about measuring how green I can be, though I do have a disdain for creating useless heat, ever since I learned about entropy. Forget about killing the environment. I'm wasting our limited amount of universal energy just to sit there and make heat? Yuck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==