OP
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello!

So... I just bought a generic enclosure for a 160 GB 3.5'' SATA HDD for my PC. It works just fine and decided to try it on my Wii.

However when I plugged it (-both the USB cable and the external power cable-) and turned it on, and then turned on the Wii, the Wii turned off by itself a second later. So I had to turn off the HDD and unplug/plug again the Wii (I have to do this every time if the HDD is on upon starting).

Now, if I turn ON the Wii with the HDD OFF, and then turn it ON when the Wii menu shows, it works just fine, and WiiFlow and CFG USB Loaders work just fine too (the games load and they work).

Just wondering, if something similar has happened to any of you and if there's a way to get around it... other than turn the HDD off and then On again everytime just when the Wii has started (I don't mind to do it, however perhaps my brother forgets to turn it off and then if I start the Wii that way I will have to unplug/plug it),

...and of course other than getting another enclosure LOL.

Thanks for your help and time.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I often have to press POWER twice if my HDD is plugged in. It's a bit annoying, but I don't really mind since I still get to play games from my HDD.

Try turning on the Wii, letting it turn off, then turning it on again. See if it stays on.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
How is the enclosure powered? Does it use an external power adapter or does it take it's power from the usb ports?

You could try to connect it to a self powered usb hub, and that hub to the wii.
Maybe it's startup current is too high. In that case, the self powered hub might solve the issue.
Normally, an usb port is capable of delivering 0.5Amps. It's voltage is 5V.

Gamer

DS Gamer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
JoostinOnline said:
I often have to press POWER twice if my HDD is plugged in. It's a bit annoying, but I don't really mind since I still get to play games from my HDD.

Try turning on the Wii, letting it turn off, then turning it on again. See if it stays on.

Yep, tried that, but the problem is that -when the Wii turns off by itself- it remains upowered at all (like if it is unplugged), so I have to unplug and plug again the Wii external power. Then I can see the Power Button light and try again with the HDD off. That way it starts normally and, like I said, the drive works fine.

What I'm doing now is that -when I turn off my Wii-, I also turn off the HDD. That way the Wii can start fine the next time I turn it on.

However my concern is that sometimes I can forget to turn off the HDD and the next time when I turn on the Wii, it will turn off by itself and I will have to unplug my Wii again.

Seems I will have to get another enclosure after all heh.

QUOTE(obcd @ Jun 4 2011, 11:00 AM) How is the enclosure powered? Does it use an external power adapter or does it take it's power from the usb ports?

You could try to connect it to a self powered usb hub, and that hub to the wii.
Maybe it's startup current is too high. In that case, the self powered hub might solve the issue.
Normally, an usb port is capable of delivering 0.5Amps. It's voltage is 5V.

It's powered by an external power adapter, which is why I found it weird. But I'm going to try the USB HUB thing, thanks.

BTW, this is the enclosure:
http://www.rematedecomputadoras.com/detall...,163,132,71.htm

Well, I thought I had a self-powered USB HUB, however I can't find it... seems I might try it later. Thanks anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2: +1