Wii Shop revival service "RiiShop" enters public beta

Many people remember the Wii days fondly with its gimmick controls, memorable in-app music and homebrew friendly system. Ever since the discontinuation of the Wii Shop service back in January 30th, 2019, users could no longer purchase new titles through it, and were only left with the option to redownload already purchased titles.

Since then, a few homebrew developers have worked on a revival service, formerly known as "LaunchShop" to recreate the Wii Shop servers back when they were fully accessible. As of January 8th, 2024, this revival service has been rebranded into "RiiShop", and is now publicly available for Wii users in a WAD format.

The current open beta can be installed in homebrewed Wii systems as a WAD, and users can enter the Wii Shop menu and browse Virtual Console and WiiWare games, as well as Wii channels that were originally available, complete with what seems to be dummy Wii Points to redeem, but with nothing to do with them at the moment due to downloads not working on the current build yet. It's worth nothing that this will apparently work like a free Shop to download titles from, with no currency being involved.

As with any product in beta, expect some issues to pop up, and bare in mind that the public beta might not have download working, since many people online are reporting downloads not being possible as of yet.

SMNFXCN

fox-raccoon hybrid
Trophies
Website
simonfoxcoon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Unrelated but I love how the same person who uploaded that video also made a "Poop Sports" .wad
Anyways
cool project ig, that one repo that shall not be named is a bit faster and gives me more options, as I assume this will only work with wiiware wads, some wad homebrew, and VC + injects wads

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
"Complete with the Wii Points redeem system which shows the current Points on the account, and the possibility to add more points through purchases (as originally intended)."

@ShadowOne333
You might wanna rephase this or completely delete this whole sentence since this is essentially false information...

As stated on their Discord faq (winch you clearly didn't read) They (Riishop) stated that the whole project will be free and they can't charge any money for it since it contains copyrighted material still owned by Nintendo. The Wii points are there just for show and do nothing. It is also not possible to add points. (I added the screenshots as a attachment, so yall can see it for yourself)

Good that you are reporting or something, but next time check all facts before making them up.
Yeah I'm aware, it was notified earlier about that. Didn't expect them to go full on piracy mode, but oh well. Guess next time I should at least enter and exit the Discord server, I didn't want to enter it, so that'd why I didn't get that info.

I'll rework that paragraph.

Reactions: PopcornSweetie

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Somebody would need to remind Nintendo what a Wii U is
But you even posted on the thread that breaked the news: https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-wii-u-titlekey-generation-algorithm-leaked.566318/post-9075393
What's funny is, that since it doesn't contain any "illegal" keys and only use the general key (nintendo and mypass) using the code isn't breaking any copyright by Nintendo and no project that uses that implementation of the titlekey generation code is prone to be DMCA'd or sued.

Also, NUSspli goes over other triggering possibilities by dumping with each use all needed files like fonts, and connection data to Nintendo's CDN. If this new shop is distributed without any image or font by Nintendo, is totally viable and shouldn't be taken down any time soon.

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
Don't see how that's relevant? I don't promote pirating Wii games. You can test it with free titles that need a ticket like the Internet Channel. Plus I got the code from my own source and just confirmed in the thread it also works on the Wii (since my source only said 3DS + Wii U).

since it doesn't contain any "illegal" keys
It contains an algorithm by Nintendo/BroadOn so it is copyrighted. It's their code after all. I am not a lawyer though ;)

Of course projects that use this algorithm can be DMCA'd. Nintendo has taken numerous of projects down with bogus DMCA claims. I know it because I was also affected. They may not be in the right but you have no way to fight it. And I'm not even a US citizen.

is totally viable and shouldn't be taken down any time soon.
If you can download games for free that are normally paid, it's illegal, period. There is nothing to discuss. If it only lets you download free, ticketless titles or titles that you already own, it would be something different but then you wouldn't need RiiShop and can just use the normal Wii Shop Channel.

We both know that what NUSspli makes possible is illegal. No amount of weasel words can change the fact that it takes two button presses to download any game from the WIi U eShop for free. FreeShop tried the same with "only use your own keys and seeds".

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to state that RiiShop or NUSspli are bad, they are cool projects made by talented devs.

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Don't see how that's relevant? I don't promote pirating Wii games. You can test it with free titles that need a ticket like the Internet Channel. Plus I got the code from my own source and just confirmed in the thread it also works on the Wii (since my source only said 3DS + Wii U).

It contains an algorithm by Nintendo/BroadOn so it is copyrighted. It's their code after all. I am not a lawyer though ;)

Of course projects that use this algorithm can be DMCA'd. Nintendo has taken numerous of projects down with bogus DMCA claims. I know it because I was also affected. They may not be in the right but you have no way to fight it. And I'm not even a US citizen.

If you can download games for free that are normally paid, it's illegal, period. There is nothing to discuss. If it only lets you download free, ticketless titles or titles that you already own, it would be something different but then you wouldn't need RiiShop and can just use the normal Wii Shop Channel.

We both know that what NUSspli makes possible is illegal. No amount of weasel words can change the fact that it takes two button presses to download any game from the WIi U eShop for free. FreeShop tried the same with "only use your own keys and seeds".

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to state that RiiShop or NUSspli are bad, they are cool projects made by talented devs.
I never said it wasn't piracy, and that's why I used the word "prone". Of course the probability exists, but the possibility is that it will not.
And, although I'm not a lawyer also, NUSspli and other implementations of the algorithm don't use Nintendo's, but a tweaked version based on the apps needs. It's not legal but afak it's not illegal also, since it falls into a loophole that some companies have used in the past to avoid being sued. Not sure how different this situation is to others, I'm no coder, but sometime V10lator told me that the implementation SHOULDN'T give any kind of legal trouble (real emphasis on the word "shouldn't") and that's why he even used the files from the own console to avoid any kind of DMCA. Of course a lot of devs have made bogus DMCA claims, but so far neither NUSspli, Kii U Generation, or any other own implementation of the algorithm has seen any kind of legal trouble.
Again, I'm just talking on what V10lator told me when I worked actively on NUSspli as an artist, but I don't have any knowledge that what he told me is actually how things work as a dev of this piracy apps.

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Interesting to see GBAtemp bring this to the front page considering this is pretty much just FreeShop for the Wii. I guess it doesn't matter as much when the Wii has lost all of its support from Nintendo.

Lets hope we'll see something similar with the DSi.

Reactions: Guacaholey

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'm aware, it was notified earlier about that. Didn't expect them to go full on piracy mode, but oh well. Guess next time I should at least enter and exit the Discord server, I didn't want to enter it, so that'd why I didn't get that info.

I'll rework that paragraph.
Thank you! It wasn't my intention to sound harsh (i could've formulated it a little bit better, my bad) but glad you changed it. :)

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's so unintuitive.
They're going to allow free downloads, but "charging for other games" is the illegal part?
The mental gymnastics here just are all over the place.
Well we know what happened to Gary Bowser. They're probably trying to avoid being sued and arrested. They're probably just gonna get a DMCA because of this since the games are no longer available for purchase.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thank you! It wasn't my intention to sound harsh (i could've formulated it a little bit better, my bad) but glad you changed it. :)

It's fine, don't worry :D
I forgot that I did add something about it thinking it handled like the original Wii Shop, and I forgot to change that once I got notified that is was basically "freeShip" Wii version.

Thanks for the heads up and the details :)

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
"Complete with the Wii Points redeem system which shows the current Points on the account, and the possibility to add more points through purchases (as originally intended)."

@ShadowOne333
You might wanna rephase this or completely delete this whole sentence since this is essentially false information...

As stated on their Discord faq (winch you clearly didn't read) They (Riishop) stated that the whole project will be free and they can't charge any money for it since it contains copyrighted material still owned by Nintendo. The Wii points are there just for show and do nothing. It is also not possible to add points. (I added the screenshots as a attachment, so yall can see it for yourself)

Good that you are reporting or something, but next time check all facts before making them up.
Thank you for clarifying this, that particular sentence had me very confused.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-yuzu-emulator-github-piracy-zelda-1851452740