ricdanger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSXDupe said:
It does matter what data you put in there, Nintendo (IF THEY WANTED) could pick
a sector that is not in use and check the contents of that sector.

All they need to do is pick 1 random unused sector and check it. It would take
milliseconds to do the check, and then they can stop the disc from loading.

They only safe way is to resign each disc.

But how will "Nintendo" know what value to expect there?
It could be anything.

To me, the best "no-brainer" way for Nintendo to block scrubs is to check for large sequences of the same number in the unused sectors.
That is a clear "fingerprint" of the scrub process.
To check each byte of the garbage does not seem feaasble, because then Nintendo had to have a) an hash of the original garbage and compute the hash of the "new" garbage (I guess there is no such thing as that, today) or b) a copy of the expected garbage to compare.

PSXDupe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ricdanger said:
PSXDupe said:
It does matter what data you put in there, Nintendo (IF THEY WANTED) could pick
a sector that is not in use and check the contents of that sector.

All they need to do is pick 1 random unused sector and check it. It would take
milliseconds to do the check, and then they can stop the disc from loading.

They only safe way is to resign each disc.

But how will "Nintendo" know what value to expect there?
It could be anything.

To me, the best "no-brainer" way for Nintendo to block scrubs is to check for large sequences of the same number in the unused sectors.
That is a clear "fingerprint" of the scrub process.
To check each byte of the garbage does not seem feaasble, because then Nintendo had to have a) an hash of the original garbage and compute the hash of the "new" garbage (I guess there is no such thing as that, today) or b) a copy of the expected garbage to compare.

Nintendo can quite easily check, WiiScrubber leaves the heading intact, and clear the data. Therefore the header does not match the data.
They don't need to know what should be there, all the need to do it check that the signed header matches the data in an unused sectors.

If you remove the header also, they can also check to see if the header is encrypted and if not stop it also.

Thinks of it as the header having a checksum of the data contained in the sector. Once they are blank or don't match, stop the disc.

Quite easy, but if you want to go ahead and scrub all you discs go ahead, just ensure you have enough bandwidth and time to download
the origianls again

hclander

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Dack,
What about for a command line version of wiiscrubber ... a perfect tool for batch process our backep up iso images collection...
if it add some kind of compression (gzip, bzip2,lzop.... ) it'll be super....

... also i looking for a dvdburner soft that support compressed iso... without succes...

Actually i'm compressing the scrubbed iso with bzip2... to burn it more or less "on-the-fly" ... i just using a win32 port of cdrecord piped with bzip2 -d
(something like bzip2 -d my_scrubbed_image.iso.bz2 | cdrecord -v -dev 2,0.0 speed=4 )

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
quick question.

just scrubbed couple of ISOs and now im left with very small ISOs ie 1.3gb and a 3.64 gb one.

I thought they only compressed if you rar them? are these safe to just burn ? i dont see how it will work?

bosscolor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Redsquirrel said:
quick question.

just scrubbed couple of ISOs and now im left with very small ISOs ie 1.3gb and a 3.64 gb one.

I thought they only compressed if you rar them? are these safe to just burn ? i dont see how it will work?

Yes they are safe to burn just like a normal iso. Keep in mind that wiiscruber compress the useless files in the iso so they get smaller.

It's just like a fat girl who stops eating McDonalds
ph34r.gif

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
Redsquirrel said:
quick question.

That sounds like a problem - did you have enough disc space to create the copy of the original file?

Due to my cack coding I don't check writes and just carry on as if there is no error if the disc is full. (Thats about the last thing I have to put into 1.1 before release *sigh*)

The smaller sizes only apply to the RAR/ZIP. the ISO size should *ALWAYS* be 4 and a bit gig.

Phreeq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a scrubbed ISO, I haven't tried to burn it yet, because on my computer Winrar and Daemon both say it's corrupted. I DLed it and other ppl said it was fine when they burned it. should I be able to view it on my computer?

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
Phreeq said:
I have a scrubbed ISO, I haven't tried to burn it yet, because on my computer Winrar and Daemon both say it's corrupted. I DLed it and other ppl said it was fine when they burned it. should I be able to view it on my computer?
Try to think : Do you really think you can open a Wii iso like a computer ISO9660 ?

This is NOT a normal iso, it doesn't have any link with the scrubbing - Daemon Tools will never be able to emulate a Wii iso

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
If you use imageburn to read the iso you'll get the title appearing - that does seem to support wii iso's.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.