Hardware Wii Remote Plus - Beware of knockoffs

StealthSock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The other day, I got my ebay order in the mail. I bought two Wii Remotes Plus for only $15 each and free shipping. These are the same size as a regular Wiimote but they come with a built in MotionPlus sensor. Although they seem to work fine for now, it has become clear that these are cleverly disguised Chinese knockoffs. For just $15, I am satisfied so far but I cringe at the thought of shady dealers selling these at the full price $40USD. I am so fascinated by these knockoffs that I bought a copy of FlingSmash on sale for $30, genuine Wiimote Plus included. I wanted a real one for comparison, which is the black one in all these pictures.

Here's one of the boxes they came in. Everything seems fine so far. When I first opened it I thought it was pretty sweet to have a Japanese one.

This is basically what was inside the box. The manual is in Japanese with a 2007 copyright. Also the Wiimote was wrapped in plastic (not pictured).

(Real = Black) (Fake = Turquoise)

Here is what first tipped me off that I have a knockoff. On a real Wii Remote, Plus or otherwise, the Home button is flush with the controller face. On the fake, it protrudes a full millimeter give or take.

See those air bubbles around the D-Pad? The fake has one of those peel-off plastic protective films on the top so it keeps it's showroom shine. These are unheard of on a real one, at least in the US market.

Here's the accessory plug on the genuine one. Note the model number, RVL-036.

The fake has the original Wii Remote model number RVL-003. Also look at the left and right edges of these accessory connectors. The fake's metal is bent 90 degrees while the genuine has more of a curved shape for a more gradual retraction on an accessory's pins on insertion.

I noticed that on a real one (black), the red sync button is slightly wider and shorter than the fake's. I apologize for the blurry shot of the genuine.

This last one is also a bit blurry but you can see how the turquoise fake's sync button is slightly more thin than the genuine one. The rectangle label on this fake is slightly off center but on my other turquoise fake, the label is slapped on with seemingly no attempt to make it line up with the box, leading me to assume that these stickers are applied by hand. The real remote's sticker is not quite centered either though. Tri-wing screws are present on both the fake and the real examples but on the fake the screw heads are wider and appear sloppily machined.

Since I paid knockoff prices for these seemingly fine functioning controllers, I am not especially dissatisfied so I will just forget to give my ebay seller any feedback this time. I would be furious if I had paid full price for these though and hopefully these tips will help someone spot a fake if they are being scammed. Feel free to ask me any questions about these fakes and I plan on posting circuit board comparison pictures if Dealextreme ever gets around to shipping me that tri-wing screwdriver.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
You know mass production isn't perfect. There can be differences like slight variations in the heights of the buttons (I know this first hand.) This is probably even more true for a foreign model. Concerning your ebay remotes...

SEEMS LEGIT

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not too bad as knockoffs go, and $15 isn't bad if they work - But I'd stick to the real one as long as you have one. Let your friends use the fakes
tongue.gif

If the Ebay seller implied they were genuine, I'd at least give neutral feedback.

gtmtnbiker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you actually tried using the knockoff? You'll probably notice that it has a different rumble feel than the real one. More of a tinny feel than a smooth rumble.

I had bought a knockoff Wiimote a year ago and that was my tipoff which made me take a closer look. It also didn't track as well as the real Wiimote in terms of moving the pointer.

StealthSock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a few more pics and observations to add, including a smoking gun.

Before I get to that smoking gun, here is the other fake's label. As I mentioned above, this label was applied very unevenly. The inside of the battery doors are also different. On a genuine there are numbers stamped on that box near the top. On the fake, the box is empty. Also, look at the rings from the injection mold on the real one's battery door. It's hard to see in this picture but there are 3 rows of 5 of these rings for a total of 15. On the fake there are only 3 of these rings running down the center. The fake has sharp bits of excess plastic left behind while the genuine rings are much smoother.

Above, 4 lights are flashing on the genuine Wiimote Plus as it tries to connect. During the same process, the fake only flashes the first 3. When it's controller 4, the 4th light does come on. Edit: at least the battery indicator works. Oops. Also you may notice that the fake bleeds quite a bit more light than the genuine. Of course that light bleed will happen when comparing a light colored controller to a dark one. On the fake you can see the imperfections of the LED's below as if you're looking at the lights through a transparent window, but on a genuine these lights are beneath a bit of frosted translucent plastic so you do not get an uneven glare from various angles of an LED bulb.

On to the smoking gun. Sometimes, I prefer to be stylish with my Wiimotes and swap around battery doors. From left to right we have an original white RVL-003 Wiimote, our genuinely black, genuinely Nintendo Wii Remote Plus, and one of the turquoise fakes.

I have to try this combination....but the tabs don't fit.

Apparently genuine battery covers do not fit on a fake Wiimote Plus, and vice versa. However, a genuine Wiiimote has interchangeable battery covers with a genuine Wiimote Plus. I call this tidbit the smoking gun because it proves that these fakes were built to different dimensions than genuine Nintendo controllers.

The seller did not imply that this was genuine Nintendo manufacture so I will not be giving neutral feedback.

The rumble on the fakes has a bigger kick than the rumble on a genuine at the same level and you can hear it much more on the fake. As for tracking, the knockoff factory must have worked out the bugs by now because I cannot tell the difference. I have not done a side by side test of MotionPlus yet though. I will post my findings later.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have one too. I sent the first one back because the d-pad down button was also registering up a little bit.
I now have a new one. The price was 20 euro, but still I'm not entirely happy with thte product. The +/- buttons are not fluid, the D-pad is still not perfect (in Tiger Woods the spin effect is impossible to control wiuth this wiimote) and the rumble is no humming sound but more a snoring one.

Don't buy this if you go for absolute quality.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
StealthSock said:
Above, 4 lights are flashing on the genuine Wiimote Plus as it tries to connect. During the same process, the fake only flashes the first 3.
You know the number of lights that flash depends on the battery level, right?

Reactions: pelago

StealthSock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
StealthSock said:
Above, 4 lights are flashing on the genuine Wiimote Plus as it tries to connect. During the same process, the fake only flashes the first 3.
You know the number of lights that flash depends on the battery level, right?

I never noticed that before. With new batteries all 4 lights do come on during sync.

StealthSock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chanser said:
You should try opening up your fake Wiimote Plus.

I plan on doing that when I get a tri-wing screwdriver. It irritates me to no end that they at least bothered to copy that detail.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Midna said:
You know mass production isn't perfect. There can be differences like slight variations in the heights of the buttons (I know this first hand.) This is probably even more true for a foreign model. Concerning your ebay remotes...
SEEMS LEGIT
Nope. It's definitely a fake. There's no way an official Nintendo product is going to have such obvious imperfections (rough edges, badly machined screws and such)

Reactions: ChibiMofo

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bowser said:
Midna said:
SEEMS LEGIT
Nope. It's definitely a fake. There's no way an official Nintendo product is going to have such obvious imperfections (rough edges, badly machined screws and such)
Actually the dead giveaway is the model number. RVL-003 is a regular wiimote, RVL-036 is the wiimote plus. These are meant to be the latter but they're stamped with the former.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
tueidj said:
bowser said:
Midna said:
SEEMS LEGIT
Actually the dead giveaway is the model number. RVL-003 is a regular wiimote, RVL-036 is the wiimote plus. These are meant to be the latter but they're stamped with the former.
Yeah forgot about that.

StealthSock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I posted those pictures I have been able to get an official door to barely fit on the fake but there are still gaps along the edges and the tabs still don't quite fit unless I do a bit of filing on the excess plastic on the fake Wiimote side. I could probably make a battery pack fit at least. I don't have one yet though.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are selling the same ones inMercado Libre

@StealthSock did you remove the protective film that covers the wiimote? If so... it retains the smooth finish?

Also... The Motion+ works ok?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Drake sang in A minor