Hacking Wii Linux now with WIFI!

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9th_Sage said:
I'd be playing with this but my USB Keyboard doesn't appear to work with it.
tongue.gif

You may need to unplug it then plug it back in once the GUI boots. That is what I had to do.
I have a USB keyboard that also has a USB port on the side for a mouse, etc, so that allowed me to avoid the need for a seperate USB hub.

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, got the debs installed, but I don't get a DHCP response from my wireless router. The iwconfig sees the mac address of the router fine, and DHCP is enabled on the router.

fishears

fishears
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Ha! My first post from IceWeasel in xWhiite!
Finally got it all up and running. This is great. I don't have to keep picking up the wiimote all the time because TAB moves you around input fields like it should!!
biggrin.gif

The only problem I've got is the same as I always had with Wii Linux - it doesn't fit the screen right in 480p. The top and bottom are off screen and the sides are not wide enough.

Anyone have a fix for this? Is it something I can do in xorg.conf or is it a limitation of the video driver?

(still happy though)

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
joesnose said:
hi, any chance someone can up the .deb files somewhere. thanks

The required firmware and debian wifi utilities are linked to in this reply earlier:
QUOTEYou can just extract any of these (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Linux) distros to the root of your ext3 partition. How you create the partitions and so is explained here http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/WL:whiite-linux it's always the same except of the fs package you use then you copy this (http://sharebee.com/ea20b8c8) files on the SD Card these are the libs and the wifi firmware.
For the firmware follow this http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/WL:Wifi_Confi..._firmware_files (don't forget the configuration) and the rest of the files are all installed with dpkg -i and then restart if everything is right you should see a message that wlan was activated while starting linux.

sl33p

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would someone who has this installed and running be so kind as to post a video of it doing some stuff (posting on the borads, gmail, youtube, etc)? I'd like to see the interface and how linux runs on the Wii before I spend the time messing around with it.

litobro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fishears, would you mind posting some sort of mini guide, it could be anything written fast, as to how to get this working? I'm relatively adept with computers, just can't figure out how to switch the kernels in xwhiite to MIKE p3. And my spare USB stick i use for stuff like this just died(i think it was read write cycles maxed) so i need to wait a bit. But ya, that guide would be INSANELY helpful.

elmurato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi Wii-Freaks
biggrin.gif

Two days ago I spent some hours to get XWhiite running with WiFI on my Wii. I will try to write a little howto soon. Stay tuned
wink.gif

Greetz from Germany

Fakie!

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
elmurato said:
Hi Wii-Freaks
biggrin.gif

Two days ago I spent some hours to get XWhiite running with WiFI on my Wii. I will try to write a little howto soon. Stay tuned
wink.gif

Greetz from Germany

That'd be amazing, THANK YOU
tongue.gif

fishears

fishears
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
litobro said:
fishears, would you mind posting some sort of mini guide, it could be anything written fast, as to how to get this working? I'm relatively adept with computers, just can't figure out how to switch the kernels in xwhiite to MIKE p3. And my spare USB stick i use for stuff like this just died(i think it was read write cycles maxed) so i need to wait a bit. But ya, that guide would be INSANELY helpful.

ah... I got it running but I have no sound so not sure I'm the best one to write a guide. If you had/have a working xwhiite with the original kernel then you should be able to just put the mike kernel on you fat partition and launch it with bootmii. It will automatically run your xwhiite install on the same card. If you've got xwhiite on another device (like USB) then you need to edit the mike elf in a hex editor, changing the "root=" path to whatever you're using... My main problem, I think, was that I was going into bootmii then switching SD cards to one with linux on - it didn't seem to like that. Once I put linux onto an ext3 partition on a card with the /bootmii/ folder on a FAT partition and booted that, everything went smoothly.... Hope this helps a bit - feel free to pm any questions you have - if i can help then i'll be happy to.

Silverbullet09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
fishears said:
piratesmack said:
fishears said:
Thank you. "Where's the kernel command line?" is the next question, since we're not using grub or lilo I'm clueless. Also, why isn't anyone else having the same problem?

Just download the kernel patch and open it with a text editor.

Find this:
CODE+ÂÂÂÂmodel = "NintendoWii";
+ÂÂÂÂcompatible = "nintendo,wii";
+ÂÂÂÂ#address-cells = ;
+ÂÂÂÂ#size-cells = ;
+
+ÂÂÂÂchosen {
+ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ/* ramdisk */
+ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ/* bootargs = "nobats root=/dev/ram0 video=gcnfb ip=on force_keyboard_port=4"; */
+
+ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ/* nfsroot */
+ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ/* bootargs = "nobats root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.001.253:/nfsroot/cube ip=on video=gcnfb:tv=NTSC force_keyboard_port=4"; */
+
+ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ/* root filesystem on 2nd partition of SD card, whiite styleÂÂ*/
+ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂbootargs = "nobats root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait force_keyboard_port=4 video=gcnfb:60Hz,tv=NTSC placeholder_for_additional_kernel_options_targetted_at_hexedit_lovers";
+ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂlinux,stdout-path = &USBGECKO0;
+ÂÂÂÂ};

And change the bootargs
yeah, i saw that but my root IS mmcblk0p2!!! and that's the default already

i have the same prob. how can i apply the kernelpatch?!? and how can i modified in the win7 texteditor is to crap.
i have use the elmuratos tutorial .... and always at boot a kernel panic

hope you can help me

muzz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to be lazy and ask before trying.....

I hexed my MIKPp3 kernel bootopt to point to /dev/sda2 but it is not seeming to find it; kernel panic. It tries so I know the edit is proper. I think I formatted ext2. Would this be the reason it's not finding the partition properly? I formatted ext2 because my version of Acronis is too stupid to know about ext3 and will not make an backup image of ext3 partitions, I'd like to use Acronis to backup the full partition structure FAT, ext2, and WBFS (I don't know if it will even like WBFS yet so my thoughts may be for naught anyway.) I also ask here in case someone else may have the same idea and if it will not work it may prevent someone else from wasting time. Thanks in advance

EDIT: looking at the stdout on the screen it appears it is only seeing mmcblk0 as the only available device to possibly have partitions I think must I patch the kernel to look at sda? I forget who it was who got it to boot from USB in the thread, mind sharing your elf by chance if it is for NTSC?

EDIT AGAIN: uuuuuhhhh.....yea, I forgot I previously wiped the partition table from the HDD altogether looks like I start fresh regardless lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: rule 63 went too far nowadays