Hacking Wii Linux now with WIFI!

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Muzz, LOL.

Of course check that it is the 2nd partition on your drive. Linux numbers them 1, 2, 3, etc (ie. not starting with 0)
You also have to already have the partition formatted and have Linux installed on it, in case that isn't obvious already.

muzz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ozguy said:
Muzz, LOL.

Of course check that it is the 2nd partition on your drive. Linux numbers them 1, 2, 3, etc (ie. not starting with 0)
You also have to already have the partition formatted and have Linux installed on it, in case that isn't obvious already.

Hmmm.....I built my partition structure, populated all 3 with what I wanted. I get :

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(2,0)

I have the same FS as the 2nd part of my SD card, If I chroot to /dev/sda2's mount point it works fine and the filesystem is identical.

Not sure what's up, do I lack a driver for the device in the kernel to mount it w/o a patch?

ozguy, do you mind PM'ing me your elf while I figure this out?

Thanks!

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For advanced users:

Editing the .elf file to boot from other devices

First you need a hex editor. You can find a freeware hex editor for Windows here:
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~prewett/hexedit/
(you don't even need to install it, it is just a single file)
The following instructions assume you are using the hex editor above.

Now, load the hex editor and open the elf file you want to change (eg. ppcboot.elf)

Then click on the Find menu and search for root
This will take you to the kernel command line options.
On the right hand side of the screen, highlight everything from the space after mmcblk0p2 to the space before for_additional (INCLUDING THE SPACES) and copy it to the clipboard by pressing CTRL-c (or selecting Copy from the Edit menu).
After that, click on the m at the start of mmcblk0p2 so it is highlighted.
Now, you are going to start typing over the top of mmcblk0p2 with the device name of your external drive partition. If it is the first partition on your external drive it will be sda1. The second partion would be sda2, etc.
Then while the cursor is in the box immediately after your new device name, press CTRL-v to paste the rest of the line back in (or choose Paste from the Edit menu).

So long as there is still a space at the end of the kernel commands, it doesn't matter if the text after that looks weird. It is just extra padding so people can add extra options if they wish.

You should now have a line that looks like:
Code:
root=/dev/sda2 rootwait force_keyboard_port=4 video=gcnfb:60Hz,tv=NTSC,progressive sive for_additional_kernel_options_targetted_at_hexedit_lovers
If you want to tidy it up a little you can use spaces to pad out the space from the end of the the kernal line to the start of for_additional... it isn't necessary though. The kernel will report an error but still continue.

Finally choose Save As from the File menu and save it.

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Muzz, did you extract the tar file directly to the HD partition, or did you just try copying the files from the SD card?
Because of permissions, system files, etc, simply copying the files likely won't work.

muzz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ozguy said:
Muzz, did you extract the tar file directly to the HD partition, or did you just try copying the files from the SD card?
Because of permissions, system files, etc, simply copying the files likely won't work.

Yea, I did it with tar -xjvf to the root of the partition. I had this working with the kernels prior to MIKEp3 with the app boot-it on the USB device so I know the file system is sane, actually tested with boot-it on the older kernel and it worked OK. I've been out all day so I didn't have time to futz with it anymore but maybe tomorrow. It almost seems maybe the USB device isn't ready yet when the kernel is looking for it. Maybe I'll try hexing the IOS version and see if that makes any difference for me but I'd really like to have it work under MINI.

EDIT: Thanks ozguy.....it appears I malformed the boot line because I didn't think to select between the spaces as you pointed out. I only overwrote the mmc device portion and filled in the the remaining 5 characters with 0bytes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb