noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Awesome seeing this development, looking forward to further advancements
smile.gif

As for a Linux distribution to use as a base, i'd suggest something very lightweight.. with a quite simple interface, what comes to mind then is the fedora engine with the "sugar" interface, the one they use on those "OLPC"-laptops (One Laptop Per Child)
looking at the specs those laptops comes with, (256MB RAM, which still is low for a laptop today) it does have quite much more RAM than the Wii, so there would have to be loads of cut downs on the system, or you could just use the interface as a guide to how you could build your own Wii-interface or something, still it has lower requirements than other Linux distributions
smile.gif

Sugar
short article on fedora from OLPC
USB/CD-bootable Sugar for x86

kLiNiKaL

Dr. Greenthumb
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
noONE said:
Awesome seeing this development, looking forward to further advancements
smile.gif

As for a Linux distribution to use as a base, i'd suggest something very lightweight.. with a quite simple interface, what comes to mind then is the fedora engine with the "sugar" interface, the one they use on those "OLPC"-laptops (One Laptop Per Child)
looking at the specs those laptops comes with, (256MB RAM, which still is low for a laptop today) it does have quite much more RAM than the Wii, so there would have to be loads of cut downs on the system, or you could just use the interface as a guide to how you could build your own Wii-interface or something, still it has lower requirements than other Linux distributions
smile.gif

Sugar
short article on fedora from OLPC
USB/CD-bootable Sugar for x86

if you are talking lightweight window managers then they dont come much lighter than openbox, many even busybox...

i did add lxpanel for a moment, but i scrapped it as with the limited output resolution it was annoying me taking up bottom of the screen, and for anyone considering installing a compositing manager i.e xcompmgr or the like dont bother its a total fail lol

also pcmanfm is by far the most lightweight file manager i have found.

see Crunchbang Linux for the desktop i am attempting to create.

fishears

fishears
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
goku21temp said:
fishears said:
Thank you. "Where's the kernel command line?" is the next question, since we're not using grub or lilo I'm clueless. Also, why isn't anyone else having the same problem?

i dont know either ...

i grabbed my tarball from here http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9777 (the first link works)

but as i stated it won´t help you much because it only renders a few lines horizontal when started from mini , and then you can´t see the desktop.

sucks ...
maybe my SD card has some bad sectors - who knows. Is your FAT partition FAT16 or FAT32 and is your ext partition ext2 or ext3?

computerboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
fishears said:
goku21temp said:
fishears said:
Thank you. "Where's the kernel command line?" is the next question, since we're not using grub or lilo I'm clueless. Also, why isn't anyone else having the same problem?

i dont know either ...

i grabbed my tarball from here http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9777 (the first link works)

but as i stated it won´t help you much because it only renders a few lines horizontal when started from mini , and then you can´t see the desktop.

sucks ...
maybe my SD card has some bad sectors - who knows. Is your FAT partition FAT16 or FAT32 and is your ext partition ext2 or ext3?

I got the same problem too. BTW it's xwhiite

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
goku21temp said:
fishears said:

i dont know either ...

sucks ...

Well did you try to change the xorg.conf ? i just changed it to use ntsc_60 and used mikep3-zImage-2.6.30.mini.576i(PAL).elf and you get the whole screen.

computerboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
nIxx said:
goku21temp said:
fishears said:

i dont know either ...

sucks ...

Well did you try to change the xorg.conf ? i just changed it to use ntsc_60 and used mikep3-zImage-2.6.30.mini.576i(PAL).elf and you get the whole screen.

I tried and it didn't work so I suppose I didn't choose the right options

goku21temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nIxx said:
goku21temp said:
fishears said:

i dont know either ...

sucks ...

awesome man it worked !

to computerboy

in the xorg.conf when you scroll down you´ll see 2 lines with pal_50 and ntsc_60 at the beginning of each line and a few numbers following ...

that´s not to edit !!!

just scroll down a little more(only a few lines ) and you see pal_50 exchange that with ntsc_60 save and restart ...

you need root status:

rightclick>apps>shell>bash>type: su>enter>type: whiite(youcan´t see it , its still typed)>enter>type: mc>enter> use the programm like a explorer

go to \etc\X11 and there you find the xorg.config

goku21temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi klinikal ,

how is your version doing ? could you post your work_in_progress filesystem please?

btw do i have to untar the wifi-firmware to the "root"directory or into thee root of the filesystem , because theres already a bin directory and it would make more sense ..

hehe you´re right about vim but sudo somehow doesn´t work in my xwhite 0.2

kLiNiKaL

Dr. Greenthumb
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
sup man, right now am jackin next doors wifi so my upload is quite frankly pathetic, i'll upload from work in the morning, i ended up watching SummerSlam on my dreambox since the stream i was watching died half way through and luckily the cable company still uses Nagra2
biggrin.gif

anyway... i was watching it on justin.tv inside my web browser i have gnash plugin installed though, i've been meaning to try and throw together a small screenlet for justin.tv like the one now out for facebook, basically just a window dedicated to watching j.tv streams....had abit of a hectic weekend just gone, but got alot of free time this week so i'm gonna get stuck into this and i'll upload a pre-configured so-to-speak FS with essential repo's and apps installed. and lets see if we cant push some more speed outta this baby.
i'm messing around with having a 512mb swap file on a 4gb usb pen i've got spare and i've threw in the usb0 port to see if i can get some kind of extra juice out of this piece of shit lol its only when you attempt to run a real OS you truly see how much of a weak ass system nintendo gave us.

on a side note...since Muzer abandonded Miight....does everyone else agree that theres no harm in sharing the version i have since it is now heavily modified and his will never see light of day anyway.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what miight is, but i'm assuming it's some random linux distro. Which means it's all GNU/GPL'd. Just give the man credit, you don't have to ask permission.

fishears

fishears
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Ossot said:
I don't know what miight is, but i'm assuming it's some random linux distro. Which means it's all GNU/GPL'd. Just give the man credit, you don't have to ask permission.

AFAIK all that means is that muzer is obliged to make available any GPL'd source he made use of in Miight but not any modifications he made to that GPL'd material. In any event, it's just good form to ask - I'm sure muzer isn't a bad guy & I'd be pissed if someone leaked something I wasn't ready to release...

kLiNiKaL

Dr. Greenthumb
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
i've only just come in from work now man, been infact that all *nix is OSS and linux is covered under GNU then i see no reason not to just give props and put it out...

back to the lab i'll be around later with a .bz for peoples to try
biggrin.gif

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fishears said:

Just download the kernel patch and open it with a text editor.

Find this:
CODE+ÂÂÂÂmodel = "NintendoWii";
+ÂÂÂÂcompatible = "nintendo,wii";
+ÂÂÂÂ#address-cells = ;
+ÂÂÂÂ#size-cells = ;
+
+ÂÂÂÂchosen {
+ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ/* ramdisk */
+ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ/* bootargs = "nobats root=/dev/ram0 video=gcnfb ip=on force_keyboard_port=4"; */
+
+ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ/* nfsroot */
+ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ/* bootargs = "nobats root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.001.253:/nfsroot/cube ip=on video=gcnfb:tv=NTSC force_keyboard_port=4"; */
+
+ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ/* root filesystem on 2nd partition of SD card, whiite styleÂÂ*/
+ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂbootargs = "nobats root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait force_keyboard_port=4 video=gcnfb:60Hz,tv=NTSC placeholder_for_additional_kernel_options_targetted_at_hexedit_lovers";
+ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂlinux,stdout-path = &USBGECKO0;
+ÂÂÂÂ};

And change the bootargs

goku21temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^a supercomputer with 256 MB ram ..

kLiNiKaL said:
sup man, right now am jackin next doors wifi so my upload is quite frankly pathetic, i'll upload from work in the morning, i ended up watching SummerSlam on my dreambox since the stream i was watching died half way through and luckily the cable company still uses Nagra2
biggrin.gif

anyway... i was watching it on justin.tv inside my web browser i have gnash plugin installed though, i've been meaning to try and throw together a small screenlet for justin.tv like the one now out for facebook, basically just a window dedicated to watching j.tv streams....had abit of a hectic weekend just gone, but got alot of free time this week so i'm gonna get stuck into this and i'll upload a pre-configured so-to-speak FS with essential repo's and apps installed. and lets see if we cant push some more speed outta this baby.
i'm messing around with having a 512mb swap file on a 4gb usb pen i've got spare and i've threw in the usb0 port to see if i can get some kind of extra juice out of this piece of shit lol its only when you attempt to run a real OS you truly see how much of a weak ass system nintendo gave us.

on a side note...since Muzer abandonded Miight....does everyone else agree that theres no harm in sharing the version i have since it is now heavily modified and his will never see light of day anyway.

yes i agree,
gbasp.gif

yeh yesterday i got everything working. then i tried to install swfdec but it tells me always that my flash version is too old, on almost every site(youtube etc.)...

i haven´t found gnash for PPC though , it wasn´t in my aptitude .

do you use another server or did you compile gnash yourself ...
-19,758cm
i read it has different options to compile , with opengl, cairo and a third option that i forgott.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm