Wii is broken. Need help fixing it.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Tonitonichopchop, Jul 24, 2012.

Jul 24, 2012
  1. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    So due to unusual circumstances, my Wii no longer boots which happened without my meddling with the system files at all. The events that led up to it "Bricking" are in the spoiler below.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

So with this in mind, what should I do? I have Bootmii installed as Boot2 but I don't remember how exactly to boot it without going to the Homebrew channel. And in the event I can get to Bootmii, what should I do then? And if I can't, what should I do then? If any more info is needed, ask me and I'll try to get it to you. Keep in mind I'm in the awkward situation where I currently have no internet at home so checking things on my Wii directly is a bit difficult (As is sharing my results in a timely manner).

2. donelwero

Member donelwero GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    This is from the bootmii website:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Sorry I can't be of much help, but you can find info about bricks and the way you could fix them here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Brick

3. MFDC12

Member MFDC12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    As donelwero mentioned you have to have the files on your sd card
    Do you have those/a nand dump? Do you have priiloader installed at all? If so, you can possibly unbrick it without a dump
    but I'm not the most knowledgeable on the subject, there could be another way

4. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

United States
    Hmm, I never thought of doing that. I'll try that out and report back later.

Edit:

Well, now I have the issue that I can't get the runtime files for Bootmii (Since my Wii is bricked of course). Any way around this?

5. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

United States
    Sorry for the double post, but I have a lot of new info about the nature of what happened to my Wii.

So first of all, I was able to get the Bootmii runtime files (Thanks to the person who sent them to me) and my Wii does indeed go to Bootmii. But now I have a bunch of new issues. For one thing, My Wii remote will no longer sync up with my Wii so I have to use my Gamecube controller. And second of all, when I try to use an application like CFG USB Loader it doesn't recognize my HDD that I've been using with it for years no matter what I do. I also can't access the system menu anymore. And to top things off, I tried restoring a nand backup I made with my Wii a while back, but it tells me that it comes from a different Wii. So I have no idea what's going on with it.

6. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

United States
    Okay, I finally have internet at home so I decided to do a bit of an update.

I'm still having the same issues from before, but now I've done a syscheck so maybe someone can tell me what's wrong.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48264735/Other/sysCheck.csv

I really don't know where to go from here so any help or suggestions are appreciated.

7. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    that fact that you're Wiimotes don't sync in BootMii is okay. Bootmii never works with Wiimotes anyway.
    The system check looks fine. What I'd do is get a WAD manager like MMM and a v4.1U system menu WAD from ModMii and try reinstalling it that way. That would help if somehow it's your system menu that corrupted and not it's settings.
    Good luck to you. gotta go.

8. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    I would reinstall IOS60 and System Menu 4.1U. AS far as I know your settings.txt is corrupted and this is why nothing will work.

9. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

United States
    I tried that already (Tried it again to be sure) and it did nothing. I'm curious if maybe it's a hardware issue since the issue happened while I wasn't tampering with system files at all.

Edit:

I also just tried reinstalling IOS60 and it still doesn't work.

10. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

United States
    If you read, I've long since been able to access Bootmii and the Homebrew channel. I also tried restoring an earlier NAND dump even though it said it wasn't from my Wii (Even though it was) and that didn't solve anything either.

11. Fudge

United States
    Try installing a emulated nand with modmii, see if your wiimote syncs. If not, install priiloader to your stock nand. If that loads, your Bluetooth module is broke.

12. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

United States
    Just tried this and the drive just blinks without stopping. According to the Sneek Google Code page, it can only be one of these problems:

• 1:The TMD of the requested title is missing
    • 2:The TMD of the IOS the current title uses is missing
      • Can be cause by incorrect cluster size ( only 32KB and less are supported)
    • 3:The kernel.bin is not found on sd and or usb
    • 4:Failed to load the requested IOS (missing IOS, missing TMD/Ticket/content)
    • 5:Could not open or read sd:/sneek/kernel.bin

And yes, I was installing Sneek + DI and not any other version of Sneek. The ones I crossed out were checked by me, but the others I don't know how to check.

13. Fudge

United States
    Try installing the IOS required by your System Menu using showmiiwads?? This might be out of my knowledge, hopefully @XFlak or @DeadlyFoez can help you.
    EDIT: Tagging doesn't seem to work, so I'll shoot a PM over to XFlak and JoostinOnline.

14. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Download the bootmii files from ModMii. You will need to create your own config file. Copy and paste this into "SD:\bootmii\bootmii.ini"
    Code:
    # BootMii config file
    # Created by bootmii config editor
    # Video mode, possible settings:
    # NTSC, PAL50, PAL60, PROGRESSIVE
    VIDEO=NTSC
    # Autoboot, possible settings:
    # SYSMENU, HBC
    AUTOBOOT=SYSMENU
    BOOTDELAY=10

See if that works. Also, when was the last time you updated Bootmii as boot2?

15. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    Did you dump the emulated NAND from your real NAND or did you make a clean NAND through ModMii? The ModMii one would be most likely to work. A dumped one would would probably have the same problems your real one does (but comparing it to the clean one you might be able to find what the problem was ... I don't know if it's possible to re-WAD up the working files from the clean NAND and install them, overwriting the corrupt ones, but it's worth looking into.)

16. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

United States
    It was a clean NAND from Modmii. I'll see if a dump of my current NAND will work.

Edit: My real NAND also doesn't work (Same problem as before, the disc slot's light just flashes).

17. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

United States
    Small update. I don't know what changed, but my wii will recgonize my USB drive now so I'm pretty happy about that. However, I'm still getting an error when trying to launch games. This only happens in CFG USB loader however. If I try to boot a game with USB Loader GX it simply black screens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dpmMcPHetw&feature=youtu.be

(Only the first 45 seconds or so are relevant. I just forgot to stop capturing right away)

I looked online for a solution and found that I should install the newest Cios. However, when I did this, my HDD wasn't recognized by any USB loader. So I switched back to the old one and then it went back to giving me the same error. So in short, I have no idea what's going on.

18. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Try updating Cfg to the latest revision. Also switch back to Interlaced if you haven't already.