Wii hope you enjoy this

Nocturno

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Venezuela
Well its official no DVD playback on the Wii.
QUOTE said:
Nintendo of America's vice president of marketing and corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan, confirmed to IGN Wii today that its forthcoming Wii console will not play Hollywood DVD movies. The decision to remove the functionality was made in order to deliver the machine at a cheaper cost and because most people today already own DVD players.

I can understand keeping DVD out to cut costs, but it would have been a nice way to get non-gamers interacting with the machine.

no dvd playback to keep the price low and still the price is $250?, nintendo will earn a lot of money for each console they sell, they only think on filling their pockects..

Zap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no dvd playback to keep the price low and still the price is $250?, nintendo will earn a lot of money for each console they sell, they only think on filling their pockects..

I'm sorry, but at this point, I must object...

One question for you regarding the bolded comment: "And... the other companies such as Sony and Microsoft isn't?"

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
awesome awesome awesome

wii sports packed-in YES!
1 wand + 1 chuck YES!
acceptable prices for virtual console games YES!
movie file playback from SD YES YES!!!
(anyone know if that includes DivX/Xvid/avi??)

only negitive I can see is the 'late' release date...

for those complaining about no DVD playback, look around your house. I'm positive you have 2+ DVD players, PLUS one more in your PC right.....?
if not, a DVD player is only $30 at walmart anyway
http://www.walmart.com/search/browse-ng.do...1+500000.500001

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only complaint I have are the Controller costs. $60 total for a controller and stick? That's a setback, but everything else sounds about right to me. I can not wait for this thing any longer!

Also, am I the only one going "Oh well" to no DVD Playback and Opera costing money? I have a 360 already, so there's my DVD Player. Opera for internet browsing, I have my computer for that. Why use a console for that?

werwe

Trophies
XP
Country
Well its official no DVD playback on the Wii.
QUOTE said:
Nintendo of America's vice president of marketing and corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan, confirmed to IGN Wii today that its forthcoming Wii console will not play Hollywood DVD movies. The decision to remove the functionality was made in order to deliver the machine at a cheaper cost and because most people today already own DVD players.

I can understand keeping DVD out to cut costs, but it would have been a nice way to get non-gamers interacting with the machine.

The price isn't that bad. It does come with a game. I'd imagine it would have been lower if it weren't for the outrageous prices of 360 and especially ps3.

ZildjianKX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The price isn't that bad. It does come with a game. I'd imagine it would have been lower if it weren't for the outrageous prices of 360 and especially ps3.

You are 100% right, it really boils down to the PS3. If Sony had launched the PS3 cheaper, the Xbox 360 would probably have gotten a price cut. Since there is no 360 price cut and the PS3 is launching for so much, it's not a bad idea for Nintendo to launch the system for $250, it's 50% the price of the basic PS3.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The thing you have to remember about the price is that Nintendo are selling them roughly at cost, the 360 and PS3 are retailing well below the cost of unit.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I could care less about dvd playback, but DIVX would be really nice.
I think Opera should be a pack-in, but obviously I'm not running things..
(if I was, ALL game systems would come two-player ready, like they did in the good old days!)
And I'm fine with the price... Meatloaf for dinner AGAIN!?!
wink.gif

Azadar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pretty bad price point and it's not so user friendly basically what I see happening here is #1 The hardcore Gamers are going to buy it, next summer they will drop the price to 199.99 since were paying for Wii sports.

200.00 including Wii Sports for the first x Million would have been better and 60.00 for a controller-setup come on!

175.00-200.00 would make mom and dad happy but 250.00 seems a bit expensive for little johnny and will not attract any new gamers at that price higher than ANY Nintendo system EVER!

Also if Microsoft announces the price drop on the core 25.00 Nintendo is in trouble.

That Said Ill be getting one, just my grandmom won't.. Bad brain and all.

werwe

Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty bad price point and it's not so user friendly basically what I see happening here is #1 The hardcore Gamers are going to buy it, next summer they will drop the price to 199.99 since were paying for Wii sports.

200.00 including Wii Sports for the first x Million would have been better and 60.00 for a controller-setup come on!

175.00-200.00 would make mom and dad happy but 250.00 seems a bit expensive for little johnny and will not attract any new gamers at that price higher than ANY Nintendo system EVER!

Also if Microsoft announces the price drop on the core 25.00 Nintendo is in trouble.

That Said Ill be getting one, just my grandmom won't.. Bad brain and all.

I agree that the price is high for non-gamers. Even though it's low relative to the other systems, non-gamers aren't people who are choosing between systems, but rather between gaming and other pursuits. A price drop would be simple, however... just remove the pack in and voila... 200.00. I don't think MS will drop the price anytime soon, however, unless they have a disastrous Xmas.

I think Nintendo knows Wii Sports is their best chance of creating a buzz for the system with non-gamers, so that's why they're forcing early adopters in NA to eat it whether they want to or not. If they didn't, Wii Sports would likely bomb at retail and non-gamers would never have a chance to see "real" gamers playing it.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have $500 saved for the Wii. Actually I was expecting this price from the very beginning since when a manufacturer says they will released under a certain price, they usually mean one cent lower. I was also expecting Wii Sports to be a game that wasn't packed in...so that's a plus too. All those extras like photo viewer, web browser, Mii, those are all extras I am certainly going to love.

Personally, I think all those people complaining on the internet are so spoiled they are like. "Oh...the Nintendo Wii is not $199, so because of that I am now going to only buy PlayStation 3"

Sounds like idiots don't you think?

I will be one of the first to own the Wii. Wii Sports packed in is great since I am trying to convince my wife to play games. Still I am a bit disappointed by the late launch. But its a strategy, they are going to suck up all the disappointed PlayStation 3 buyers when there is not enough stock.

El_Taco

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
"Japanese Wii package - Wii Console, Wii Remote (strap included), Nunchuck attachment, Wii AC adaptor, Wii A/V cable, Wii console stand, sensor bar, sensor bar stand and two AA batteries "

First of all I would like to notice that the console stand comes with the consol (not like sony where you had to buy the stand for like 20$ but looking at the list I see "and two AA batteries " the remote needs bateries????? If that is the case it realy sucks must buy rechargeable bateries and what is the lifetime of the batteries on the remote ???

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The life span of the Wiimote batteries is quoted at 60hours or half that when using the sensor bar.
It is possible that Nintendo bring out a rechargable battery pack like the 360, adding yet more cost the controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==