Hacking Wii Exploit found in Photo Channel ?

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
OP
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Check out this clip and say what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKkbxCEzYJw

Before you reply, think, the X360 first hackproof was also shown on youtube
biggrin.gif

Could be fake, could be true, i really don't care
biggrin.gif

slyboots

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Odds are its fake..

There are several ways to fake it.. Most obvious being another Wii connected at the back of the TV (The video fades in and blurs are very conveniant points)

Or another simple theory is, someoen records the first few seconds of a game via screen-capture saved it as a Wii-Video 9 file, then play it back?

Either way..

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Notice when they zoom in to show the "Wii Bootloader" when they click it, everything goes black. Easily could have stopped taping, put in the real Zelda game, then started filming again and since they were already zoomed in, no one would notice if they started a little bit off from where they already were. Why zoom in and stay zoomed in when clicking it? They should zoom in to show what it says, then zoom back out. But if they did that, then they wouldn't be able to switch the fake dvd with the real one.

^ That is a video about the previous "exploit" they are talking about. This video is something different.

Squiffy

GBATemp's Little Embarrassment
Trophies
Website
pyon.co.uk
XP
Country
Notice when they zoom in to show the "Wii Bootloader" when they click it, everything goes black. Easily could have stopped taping, put in the real Zelda game, then started filming again and since they were already zoomed in, no one would notice if they started a little bit off from where they already were.
Yeah I thought that looked dodgy too. It's more likely to be a fake considering that there have been no confirmed dumps out yet (well, none that I've seen).

Well, there's absolutely no point in speculation over a video like this when the bootloader hasn't even been confirmed as real and when there are no other people using the same trick.

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
The video posted above that supposedly proves this to be fake is actually based on another, older video. It has nothing to do with the new video which uses the photo channel an exploit. Of course, that doesn't mean it's real either.
wink.gif

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The fact that just before Zelda starts you can see AV1 on the Telly somehow tells me that its fake.
It's like somebody just switched on the Television or just changed the channel, and how would that be possible if the video was taken in one straight session ?
By the way, I really need a mod to play VC games, but I promise I will still buy Wii games...

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, I could shove a sock in a toaster on the moon and start playing Zelda. As long as it was YouTube quality nobody could prove it wasn't real.

..'cept maybe the moon part... I think they keep logs of moon landings or something..

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
AV1 is displayed because it looks like the Wii did a reboot after he loaded the "Wii Bootloader." What's more suspect, though, is if you look at the video frame-by-frame. He seems to select the Bootloader from the photo channel then the screen goes black. When it returns, he is back at the Photo menu. The screen goes black again and this is where it seems to reboot the system. Of course, in those moments of black, it is also possible that the video was edited and an original disc was inserted.

Mehdi

Lemonade by Psyfira
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
How could they play a backup if its not even yet possible to make a backup.. U have to make it first.. and theres no way yet to dump the Wii dvd because of its file structure.

I say its fake but hope its not

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Couldn't this simply do a buffer overflow? Hell I don't think Nintendo would take things like that into account.... I'm no hacker but isn't that a proven technique on computers using a jpeg?

*edit*One thing I do find strange, currently when my Wii reboots I get a screen showing all Wii channels "fading" white as it where. Does everyone (who has updated his Wii with the latest FW) have this? If so that this guy might be using older FW then the latest release.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Possibly, but isn't the thought possible? As I said earlier I'm no hacker and have 0 experience but I have heared about jpegs allowing "hackers" to run code on systems on computers a few times (working from memory which is hell this time of day
tongue.gif
; after studying for the past few hours for a test).

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Possibly, but isn't the thought possible? As I said earlier I'm no hacker and have 0 experience but I have heared about jpegs allowing "hackers" to run code on systems on computers a few times (working from memory which is hell this time of day
tongue.gif
; after studying for the past few hours for a test).
It worked on psp firmwares 2.00 - 2.80 or there was 2 different exploits but they did same thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Weird I have been playing MSU enhanced Genesis games for a while now lol