Wii Exploit found in Photo Channel ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by DjoeN, Dec 14, 2006.

Dec 14, 2006
  1. DjoeN
    OP

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Check out this clip and say what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKkbxCEzYJw

Before you reply, think, the X360 first hackproof was also shown on youtube [​IMG]

Could be fake, could be true, i really don't care [​IMG]

2. Qpido

Member Qpido Call me Q.

Netherlands
    Would be fantastic if it did infact work.
    But I still don't see any roms popping up on sites, real ones anyway.

Q~

3. squee

Newcomer squee Advanced Member

Germany
    It looks really authentic [​IMG]

Let's hope it will work without flashing the firmware or something like that

4. slyboots

Newcomer slyboots Member

Odds are its fake..

There are several ways to fake it.. Most obvious being another Wii connected at the back of the TV (The video fades in and blurs are very conveniant points)

Or another simple theory is, someoen records the first few seconds of a game via screen-capture saved it as a Wii-Video 9 file, then play it back?

Either way..

5. mr_unanimous

Newcomer mr_unanimous Newbie

Netherlands
  6. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Notice when they zoom in to show the "Wii Bootloader" when they click it, everything goes black. Easily could have stopped taping, put in the real Zelda game, then started filming again and since they were already zoomed in, no one would notice if they started a little bit off from where they already were. Why zoom in and stay zoomed in when clicking it? They should zoom in to show what it says, then zoom back out. But if they did that, then they wouldn't be able to switch the fake dvd with the real one.

^ That is a video about the previous "exploit" they are talking about. This video is something different.

7. Squiffy

Member Squiffy GBATemp's Little Embarrassment

Ireland
    Yeah I thought that looked dodgy too. It's more likely to be a fake considering that there have been no confirmed dumps out yet (well, none that I've seen).

Well, there's absolutely no point in speculation over a video like this when the bootloader hasn't even been confirmed as real and when there are no other people using the same trick.

8. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    people who do know what they are doing are not stupid enough to post it on youtube [​IMG]
    thank you [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. xiaNaix

Member xiaNaix GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The video posted above that supposedly proves this to be fake is actually based on another, older video. It has nothing to do with the new video which uses the photo channel an exploit. Of course, that doesn't mean it's real either. [​IMG]

10. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    The fact that just before Zelda starts you can see AV1 on the Telly somehow tells me that its fake.
    It's like somebody just switched on the Television or just changed the channel, and how would that be possible if the video was taken in one straight session ?
    By the way, I really need a mod to play VC games, but I promise I will still buy Wii games...

11. 5uck3rpunch

Member 5uck3rpunch Surf Monster!

United States
    It's most likely a fake but a GREAT theory of how a SD MIGHT be used to do it! Awesome idea!

12. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Well, I could shove a sock in a toaster on the moon and start playing Zelda. As long as it was YouTube quality nobody could prove it wasn't real.

..'cept maybe the moon part... I think they keep logs of moon landings or something..

13. xiaNaix

Member xiaNaix GBAtemp Fan

United States
    AV1 is displayed because it looks like the Wii did a reboot after he loaded the "Wii Bootloader." What's more suspect, though, is if you look at the video frame-by-frame. He seems to select the Bootloader from the photo channel then the screen goes black. When it returns, he is back at the Photo menu. The screen goes black again and this is where it seems to reboot the system. Of course, in those moments of black, it is also possible that the video was edited and an original disc was inserted.

14. Mehdi

Member Mehdi Lemonade by Psyfira

Netherlands
    How could they play a backup if its not even yet possible to make a backup.. U have to make it first.. and theres no way yet to dump the Wii dvd because of its file structure.

I say its fake but hope its not

15. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Couldn't this simply do a buffer overflow? Hell I don't think Nintendo would take things like that into account.... I'm no hacker but isn't that a proven technique on computers using a jpeg?

*edit*One thing I do find strange, currently when my Wii reboots I get a screen showing all Wii channels "fading" white as it where. Does everyone (who has updated his Wii with the latest FW) have this? If so that this guy might be using older FW then the latest release.

16. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    i think its fake he could have changed something during those black screens.

17. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    The DVD is a DVD9.

The video is a fake.

18. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    coming 1/1/2007 fake ...

19. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Possibly, but isn't the thought possible? As I said earlier I'm no hacker and have 0 experience but I have heared about jpegs allowing "hackers" to run code on systems on computers a few times (working from memory which is hell this time of day [​IMG]; after studying for the past few hours for a test).

20. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    It worked on psp firmwares 2.00 - 2.80 or there was 2 different exploits but they did same thing.