Hacking Wii disc dumper v1.0 released by nitrotux

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WB3000 said:
teq said:
The IOS included has all of 4 bytes changed. It's actually IOS21, and the 4 bytes are probably the Title ID. I'm getting another version of IOS21 to compare against.

So how does this IOS have the necessary changes to allow drive access? I'd like to hear of a confirmed dump as well.

Beats me. That's what I'm going to get to the bottom of.

PKGINGO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
once for all, there is no "scene conspiracy" or great minds hidding informations to you, all the informations are available to anyone not too lazy to read them... the IOS is written in ARM asm, so I guess anybody could modify the code and repack it .

Well I wouldn't call it a scene conspiracy, but I do call a lot of it hiding information. I do understand it's in the interest of piracy, and they don't want to take a chance of having another waninkoko. I have a lot of reasons to want to access the DVD drive, and trying to get that information was near impossible.

In fact, the few times I did bring it up in Wiidev I was told to stop asking about it or be banned. I found Jeff Epler's API shortly after but wanted to understand more about the read restriction, but I know I can't ask questions like those in that channel.

Leaves me with the choice of if I pursue my interests, I have to go into the places that have a negative stigma attached to them.

So I'm torn, do I thank nitrotux for sharing some information that I would never be able to talk about in the first place, or do I hate him because said information is stolen?

No offense to anyone, I understand everyone has their reasons for their certain policies. But, by definition, this is something I would consider information hiding.

Adan0s

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WB3000 said:
So how does this IOS have the necessary changes to allow drive access? I'd like to hear of a confirmed dump as well.

the author, whoever it was, changed the checkroutine which kicked the user out of the function after a specific length to never kick him out (to simplify it). he also changed the titleid and the interfacename from /dev/di to /dev/do. propably to ensure that the dumper only works with his hacked ios

really no major or hard changes. the guys with the skill to do it just didn't looked at it because they/we are not interested in it. usb-mass storage/sd/wlan > dvd

zant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the IOS was hacked (patched?), which allows control over the drive, which allows backing up to front slot. I think its only a matter of time before an ISO/ dick loader is developed. I didn't control of the drive was possible w/o a chip.

and you shouldn't be such a jerk to teq. yeah he's an ass sometimes, but what he does is in the best interest of the community. Writing crap about him only makes you immature.

PKGINGO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zant said:
So the IOS was hacked (patched?), which allows control over the drive, which allows backing up to front slot. I think its only a matter of time before an ISO/ dick loader is developed. I didn't control of the drive was possible w/o a chip.

and you shouldn't be such a jerk to teq. yeah he's and ass sometimes, but what he does is in the best interest of the community. Writing crap about him only makes you immature.

From what I understand, you can still only read pressed wii discs. The DVD block says this disc is no good! The signal never reaches firmware. I could be wrong though....

No chip will let you read any legit wii game.

A chip will let you read any burned disc.

The information output is the same as the material on the disc. Encrypted if signed, unencrypted if unsigned.

Again, I could be wrong. I don't have a chip, and I haven't done much research due to the stigma.... shame really.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Adan0s said:
WB3000 said:

the author, whoever it was, changed the checkroutine which kicked the user out of the function after a specific length to never kick him out (to simplify it). he also changed the titleid and the interfacename from /dev/di to /dev/do. propably to ensure that the dumper only works with his hacked ios

really no major or hard changes. the guys with the skill to do it just didn't looked at it because they/we are not interested in it. usb-mass storage/sd/wlan > dvd

Prodigy said he checked it against another IOS21 and found that only 4 bytes were changed. The title id is 4 bytes alone, so are we having a bit of confusion here?

I really don't want to have to download Brawl to get the IOS, so if someone could upload it, that would be great.

EDIT:
zant
So the IOS was hacked (patched?), which allows control over the drive, which allows backing up to front slot. I think its only a matter of time before an ISO/ disk loader is developed. I didn't control of the drive was possible w/o a chip.

The I/O controller on the drive still prevents reading from DVD-R. This is a hardware restraint that can't be circumvented by software.

The reason behind this is that you have one of two options:
A) Send a command to the I/O controller that patches the same data as a drivechip. This must be executed during boot2, because there would be no way of getting back to the contents of the disc after running homebrew. Even then, I believe the data is reset upon seek.

B) Patch the firmware. This isn't possible, as the firmware is probably read only.

PKGINGO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL ironic idea... dump brawl using said released dumper. You kill 2 birds with one stone xD.

Just kidding, i know you want to find out what its doing before you install it, unless you can restore your NAND.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PKGINGO said:
LOL ironic idea... dump brawl using said released dumper. You kill 2 birds with one stone xD.

Just kidding, i know you want to find out what its doing before you install it, unless you can restore your NAND.

Might help to have Brawl, huh? =/

My connection is fast enough to get the ISO in about half an hour.... but I'm lazy and I'm sure someone has IOS21 just ready to be sent.

PKGINGO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Must be nice to have that kind of connection. I'd send it if I had any Wii ISOs that had it, but all my games are legit, and I'm not about to install an IOS that's untested.

You don't typically see IOS wads laying around though. Bet I'd get banned if I asked for something like that at WiiDev :-/.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
PKGINGO said:
Jacobeian said:
once for all, there is no "scene conspiracy" or great minds hidding informations to you, all the informations are available to anyone not too lazy to read them... the IOS is written in ARM asm, so I guess anybody could modify the code and repack it .

Well I wouldn't call it a scene conspiracy, but I do call a lot of it hiding information. I do understand it's in the interest of piracy, and they don't want to take a chance of having another waninkoko. I have a lot of reasons to want to access the DVD drive, and trying to get that information was near impossible.

In fact, the few times I did bring it up in Wiidev I was told to stop asking about it or be banned. I found Jeff Epler's API shortly after but wanted to understand more about the read restriction, but I know I can't ask questions like those in that channel.

Leaves me with the choice of if I pursue my interests, I have to go into the places that have a negative stigma attached to them.

yes, there are some assholes on #wiidev who act sometimes as guarding dogs and will bite you as soon as you pronounce some "forbidden" words
but as far as I've seen, bushing, marcan & co are always pleased to answer precise technical questions if you prove yourself at knowing what you are talking about and don't come on the channel with evident intentions of being a troll

however, I'm sure the waninkoko's case deserved people a lot and make them far more suspicious

but please stop thinking that TWiizer Team won't release or hide something to you because it could lead to piracy, ALL the tools they have released so far (including Segher's tool) could be used for that and they probably know since the beginning that someone will eventually use them for illegal stuff ...
no, the only reason you didn't see patched IOS before is because it's DANGEROUS and may harm your system completely, just be patient and let them work around new and better solutions, I'm convinced they are always working in shadow

So I'm torn, do I thank nitrotux for sharing some information that I would never be able to talk about in the first place, or do I hate him because said information is stolen?

No offense to anyone, I understand everyone has their reasons for their certain policies. But, by definition, this is something I would consider information hiding.

but this is the whole problem: nitrotux is not bringing any informations to you .. do you see the point ? the sourcecode he provided is minimal and is only used to interface with Jeff Epler's API, this is nothing new and there is absolutely no documentation on how the IOS has been patched, which IS indeed the most important here on how to fully access DVD.

more over, the guy does not seem to really know how it was done, at least, he does not answer any simple technical questions, which bring obvious doubts about the original hacker who made this

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
more over, the guy does not seem to really know how it was done, at least, he does not answer any simple technical questions, which bring obvious doubts about the original hacker who made this

To top it off, it appears he only released it to spite me.

PKGINGO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
PKGINGO said:
Jacobeian said:

yes, there are some assholes on #wiidev who act sometimes as guarding dogs and will bite you as soon as you pronounce some "forbidden" words
but as far as I've seen, bushing, marcan & co are always pleased to answer precise technical questions if you prove yourself at knowing what you are talking about and don't come on the channel with evident intentions of being a troll

however, I'm sure the waninkoko's case deserved people a lot and make them far more suspicious

but please stop thinking that TWiizer Team won't release or hide something to you because it could lead to piracy, ALL the tools they have released so far (including Segher's tool) could be used for that and they probably know since the beginning that someone will eventually use them for illegal stuff ...
no, the only reason you didn't see patched IOS before is because it's DANGEROUS and may harm your system completely, just be patient and let them work around new and better solutions, I'm convinced they are always working in shadow

but this is the whole problem: nitrotux is not bringing any informations to you .. do you see the point ? the sourcecode he provided is minimal and is only used to interface with Jeff Epler's API, this is nothing new and there is absolutely no documentation on how the IOS has been patched, which IS indeed the most important here on how to fully access DVD.

Guess I should try to be around when bushing and co are around then... They are always idle when I get a chance.

The reason I think the reason is because of piracy is... well because that's what I was told.... by the same guard dogs you mentioned
wink.gif

Actually the hacked IOS file IS information in and of itself to me. I am unable to dump games and take their update files and I cannot torrent. This release was the closest I ever got to something like this. I'm not looking to use the IOS file in the system yet, I am looking to learn from it. I would never install such a delicate piece of software. Maybe I can learn a bit more about starlet from it.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
hem... IOS is a proprietary software from Nintendo, this is why nobody will (publically) tell you where to get an official or hacked one

this is not a secret shared by some elite, this is just something illegal to publically share... and the first rule on #wiidev and (most) scene forums is to stay away from legal issues, what you do privately being your own problem

PKGINGO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never brought up anything about the ios in the channel. Im simply saying that I can probably learn more from dissassembling this than what anyone would be willing to tell me.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's modified, it's going to hurt your understanding of a proper IOS.

You need something to compare it to in order to do anything with it.

PKGINGO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If only 4 bytes are modified, well, that's still quite a significant portion unchanged :-p.

Spy Master:
copy /b 0.bin + 1.bin + 2.bin wii.iso

nitrotux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody is forcing any of you to use this tool. If you don't like it then too bad for you.

Furthermore it's quite funny how you must think somebody else created the hacked IOS because I am obviously too stupid.

Sigh, whatever. I guess it's somebody's duty to be an ass.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Then explain us: what did you modify exactly ? which IOS did you use and how do you manage to know what to modify ? Can you garanty the integrity of the system with the patched IOS inside ?

I'm really curious, this is not that I'm interested in a Disc Dumper (have no use for that) but as other said, IOS reverse engineering is something taht could be interesting

@PKGINGO: well, all IOS are on your NAND, there are tools to dump the unencrypted content of the NAND, then you can get (easily or not, I really don't know) any IOS binary (look at title id in wiibrew) and disassembled it with IDA pro (this should be an ARM9 binary)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...