Hacking Wii cIOS troubleshootan!!!

cruncher3019

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Upon installing HBC, DVDX, and BootMii, I was pretty much left with one question as to how to run backup wii games. I was told that I'd need a backup launcher in order to do this, but was then informed that, since I had BootMii installed, the games would run straight from the disc channel. (Is this true?)

Anyway, what I then realized was that I needed to also update my cIOS in order to be able to play these backup games. Reading guides (many, many guides) I've seen that I need to install cIOS38 rev 14 in order to run games. I then read that in order to install 38, you need to patch 36. That's all fine and good, however, looking at my HBC, I see that I'm running 35.

SO my first question is "What the hell?" Do I have to patch 35 in order to install 36 rev7? Can I just install 36 rev7? Or can i just skip to 38? I've pretty much been spending all day on this. I thought I installed 36 and then went to patch it using TBR, which turned my homebrew screen upside down. I uninstalled homebrew channel and reinstalled and it is now back at 35. So I'm really hoping someone would be willing to offer the appropriate links and a someone decent step by step as to what needs to be done.

I'd also like to know if it's true whether or not my games will just run from the disc channel using bootmii.

I apologize for what I'm assuming is a nub question, but I've been at this for an absurd amoutn fo time and I'm tired of looking at google.

cruncher3019

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the problems is that it says I'm running cIOS35 rather than 36. Do I install this before I install 38, because when i try to install 38, I get the:

"Trying to read suchandsuch.wad... ERROR ret=-1"

And whenever I run Neogamma, it says I don't have IOS249 installed.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cruncher3019 said:
One of the problems is that it says I'm running cIOS35 rather than 36. Do I install this before I install 38, because when i try to install 38, I get the:

IOS35 and 36 are installed to different slots, so you're running a range of different ones. IOS35 is just the one that the HBC is running on. Go ahead and patch IOS36. cIOS36 rev7 is an outdated version of cIOS38 rev14. But my recommendation is you install cIOS38 rev17.
And the error -1 is that you don't have the necessary wad file on your SD card

cruncher3019

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tattar8 said:
cruncher3019 said:

IOS35 and 36 are installed to different slots, so you're running a range of different ones. IOS35 is just the one that the HBC is running on. Go ahead and patch IOS36. cIOS36 rev7 is an outdated version of cIOS38 rev14. But my recommendation is you install cIOS38 rev17.
And the error -1 is that you don't have the necessary wad file on your SD card

Oh! Is that what it means? But when I downloaded the installer, it didn't include the wad file. Is it in a separate download? (Link is possible, though I'm googling it)

metroid4life14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ret=-1 actually means that the file does not exist in the directory. Not necessarily that the file doesn't exist, but that it's not in the right place. Make sure all wad files are in the "wads" folder of your sd card, not on the root of your sd card.

cruncher3019

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
metroid4life14 said:
ret=-1 actually means that the file does not exist in the directory. Not necessarily that the file doesn't exist, but that it's not in the right place. Make sure all wad files are in the "wads" folder of your sd card, not on the root of your sd card.

Yeah, I have the wads folder and everything, but the installer didn't come with the wad I need, unfortunately, so I'm wondering where to find it.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Go through xzxero's guide in the stickies and just follow it or the CompleteSoftmodGuide. Whichever you find easier. Everything is packaged how it's supposed to be on the card already in the download pack for xzxero's so you shouldn't have trouble following it provided you do it carefully.

If you want to LEARN what's going on with your system read my guide in the stickies, and then follow xzxero's. I have an entire section in my guide explaining what you should know about cIOS's and IOS's.

tylerzentz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
just to clear something up for ya....
you were confused about the whole IOS35 and IOS36 thing.
different programs and apps use different IOSs.
an old version of the homebrew channel used IOS35. thats what you mustve had.
IOS36 was used by an old system menu version. it is used by many mods and hacks to install unofficial content (virtual console wads and things like that) because it can tell the Wii that the unofficial content is actually official.

tylerzentz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
razorback78 said:
tylerzentz said:
IOS36 was used by an old system menu version.
maybe you should run dop-ios mod to give you info what system menu uses ios36...definitely you won't find any because there's none.
oh, my bad. what was it used for then? couldve swore it was a system menu....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.