Hacking Wii Bricked During System Update

hockeymania

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi guys, I think my Wii is bricked beyond help at this point. I've tried searching forums and such to no avail.

Here's my situation -- my friend was over and started a Wii system update tonight. I can't recall what I had been running, whatever was most current as of last Christmas is likely what was on there.

The Wii didn't complete the system update and starts up on Preloader now.

Unfortunately nothing in preloader works --
-Says "No SD Card Present" when I select Load/Install File
-Selecting Systemmenu comes up with "error autobooting systemmenu" and "could not open boot file"
-Selecting Homebrew Channel comes up with "Error autobooting HBC, maybe title not installed?"
-Systemmenu Hacks comes up with an error

the bottom of the screen reads -
IOS v60
Systemmenu v449
Preloader v0.29

I've tried several different SD cards which DID work before on the Wii but aren't now, so I don't believe the cards are the issue...

At any rate, what should I attempt to do at this point? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hockeymania

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I figured out the SD card issue -- found an old 512MB which works, so I ought to be able to load through it.

is there an "easy install" package that might have what I need?

bjorno

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
cwstjdenobs said:
Grab IOS70 and System Menu 4.2e with NUSD then place a wad manager dol on the root of your SD/USB device and run it from Priiloader. Then install IOS70 first and then the SM.

What he says, but BECAREFUL. Install ios 70 FIRST before you install the system menu or you will make it even WORSE.

hockeymania

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK guys, I have everything downloaded including a WAD manager (Waninkoko's Wad Manager).

Unfortunately when I go to load the WAD Manager, after starting it and selecting the IOS version (I left it on IOS249), it crashes and I get a "Exception DSI occurred"/"Stack Dump"/"Code DUmp" error requiring the Wii to restart.

What should I do now??

guitarloser85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The update probably installed stubs, removed your outdated version of HBC and updated your IOS 36 so you wouldn't be able to run wad manager without following a few steps to this guide:
http://gbatemp.net/t171901-modify-any-wii-4-2-below

Just download the files from the guide, perform the "Restoring the Trucha Bug, Removing Stub IOS's, Installing cIOS & Patching the System Menu IOS" section, but rather than loading MMM through the HBC, you'd run it through the priiloader SD menu.

After removing stubs and repatching IOS36, do as cwstjdenobs says and reinstall IOS70 Then the system menu wad using Wad Manager (select IOS 36) upon boot.

Then you should be good, but remember that after reinstalling the SM wad, preloader will be removed so you'd have to reinstall it.

hockeymania

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried cwstjdenobs' suggestion -- YAWMM is able to load, but when trying to extract anything off the SD card, it gives me an error.

What do you guys think I ought to go with next? BTW I appreciate the replies!

hockeymania

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK I put Bootmii on, can get to HBC now and run Wad Manager properly through that.

IOS70 installed just fine through WAD Manager, but when I try and run 4.2E, it gives me a "I Won't Install the Wrong regions SM Error"

Any ideas? BTW I used NUSD, which saved 4.2E as RVL-WiiSystemmenu-v482.wad. Try 4.2U? (can't remember if I was a U or E, but I think it was U)

hockeymania

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK got it! 4.2U worked and things seem to be fine! For the record I did what cwstjdenobs said, and that's install IOS70 and the system menu. I didn't do anything else outside of put Bootmii on there and a wad manager, which I accessed through HBC.

For the future, from a noob's perspective like mine -- what can I do to prevent this again from happening? Not updating the system menu (which I am guessing is the way to go)? If I need to update the system menu, what would I do? As I said this happened accidentally but I want to be covered in case it happens again (or I can just keep my friend from ever touching it lol).

Want to thank everyone for their help. This place is, obviously, fantastic.
smile.gif

Kryptical

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hockeymania said:
OK got it! 4.2U worked and things seem to be fine! For the record I did what cwstjdenobs said, and that's install IOS70 and the system menu. I didn't do anything else outside of put Bootmii on there and a wad manager, which I accessed through HBC.

For the future, from a noob's perspective like mine -- what can I do to prevent this again from happening? Not updating the system menu (which I am guessing is the way to go)? If I need to update the system menu, what would I do? As I said this happened accidentally but I want to be covered in case it happens again (or I can just keep my friend from ever touching it lol).

Want to thank everyone for their help. This place is, obviously, fantastic.
smile.gif

Use Priiloader and enable System Menu Hacks: Block Online Updates and Block Disc Updates, it will prevent you or your friend from updating the Wii or accidentally updating it. If you do want to update the Wii, use Homebrew Apps that allows you to update your Wii without bricking it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: I hope it's not a week.