sidglide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi Guys,

I have an old wii which I bought long back, it was an initial release of the Wii. its a Japanese version.
I had modded it into a US wii using one of the hacks which allowed to change region and language.
It was pre modified using one of the drive mod chips which allowed it to boot backups hen I bought it and also made it reign free.
Now once the scene exploded with hacks and crack with all sorts of loaders, home-brew loaders etc I soft moded it for playing emulators.

I have stopped using it in a very long time now and it has been gathering dust. I have friend who has a 3year old son. so I thought let me put it to use and give it to the little guy. but once I turned it on either it goes into Bootmii menu (installed as boot2) or if I select wii from the selection screen it goes into a black screen.

I read on GBAtemp that it might be bluetooth issue so I ordered one of the bluetooth modules off AliExpress and changed it myself. it made no difference.
Then I thought of creating a new Nand using the onschwarzenneger tool. I created one and flashed it it still has made no difference.
Guys can you please suggest a way of getting around. My friends 3 year old son will love it.

Cheers,
Sid

sidglide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Forgot to mention, the flashing process goes fine no problems. and after that if remove the SD card which probably has Priiloader it boots into black screen. if I insert it agin it does into the bootmii menu.

VitockoWii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
You can see if it has Priiloader by turning on the wii and inmediately pressing and holding the reset button.

I'd say that you have a Banner Brick, so you can search for corrupted channels or wads on your wii to eliminate them.

Reply if you have any more problems!

sidglide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
You can see if it has Priiloader by turning on the wii and inmediately pressing and holding the reset button.

I'd say that you have a Banner Brick, so you can search for corrupted channels or wads on your wii to eliminate them.

Reply if you have any more problems!
I restored my old nand using bootmii. Bootmii did not accept the old nand. So i created a new one using ohnesschwarzennger tool. After the flashing goes successfully, i still get the black screen. I check the new name created on the top using flash toolz, it did not report any bad sectors. However when i restore the making of the bad sector is Same as the old nand.
Should i buy wifi card and Try restoring that.

Also installed wads, it makes no difference.
Any other ideas bro.
Should i buy a new wifi module?
Do you recommend that?

VitockoWii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
One quick question: Can it load homebrew apps?

If it does, I'd recommend using a backup loader instead of trying to recover the wii menu.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried re-installing all the system titles? You should be able to launch multi mod manager via cboot2 which you can use to do just that.

sidglide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Have you tried re-installing all the system titles? You should be able to launch multi mod manager via cboot2 which you can use to do just that.
Hey bro.. i can't get into hbc anymore.. how can i launch multimod manager.. can you please point me in that direction.

Cheers,
Sid

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I restored my old nand using bootmii. Bootmii did not accept the old nand. So i created a new one using ohnesschwarzennger tool. After the flashing goes successfully, i still get the black screen. I check the new name created on the top using flash toolz, it did not report any bad sectors. However when i restore the making of the bad sector is Same as the old nand.
Should i buy wifi card and Try restoring that.

Also installed wads, it makes no difference.
Any other ideas bro.
Should i buy a new wifi module?
Do you recommend that?
The bad sectors on your NAND are always going to be there, don't worry about it as the NAND chip remaps the bad sectors to good ones automatically.'

New wifi module could help. But a used Wii is dirt cheap so it may not even be worth the time and money trying to fix it.
It seems reasonably certain that it's a hardware issue, since if it was just software then generating a clean NAND with ohneschwanzenegger should have fixed it. So I guess the wifi daughterboard would be next on the list of things to troubleshoot.
Since you have bootmii boot2 you cab use cboot2 to run it.
I had to use cBoot2 to fix a bricked Wii before because I didn't think to make a BootMii NAND backup before doing whatever it was I did that bricked it, so it certainly can be useful in some cases.
However, since he tried generating a new NAND and even that didn't work, that tells me the problem is most likely hardware related.

sidglide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
The bad sectors on your NAND are always going to be there, don't worry about it as the NAND chip remaps the bad sectors to good ones automatically.'

New wifi module could help. But a used Wii is dirt cheap so it may not even be worth the time and money trying to fix it.
It seems reasonably certain that it's a hardware issue, since if it was just software then generating a clean NAND with ohneschwanzenegger should have fixed it. So I guess the wifi daughterboard would be next on the list of things to troubleshoot.

I had to use cBoot2 to fix a bricked Wii before because I didn't think to make a BootMii NAND backup before doing whatever it was I did that bricked it, so it certainly can be useful in some cases.
However, since he tried generating a new NAND and even that didn't work, that tells me the problem is most likely hardware related.

Hey Jyde,

From what i remember it's that i use to work from hbc. Before i stopped using it. With wii remote and wifi. But last i remember i could not but into the system menu. When i hooked it again after keeping in that state after years. The wimmote was not synced in so i could not control it. I have a wireless GameCube controller. So that was my start and i start flashing it. At that time hbc was working and displayed all the comments of the sdcard etc and a flashing wifi symbol.
Could i be missing something. Do what i am trying to say that it was semi bricked but i could download emulators and stuff from hbc. And that is all i was using it for at that time. Genesis and snes emus.

sidglide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Have you tested the recreated NAND FS in dolphin, made sure it's not a software issue?

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/nand-usage-guide/

I'm curious as to why the old NAND wasn't accepted.
Let me check it out bro...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Let me check it out bro...
One i extract the files from the exexisti nand dfro bootmii and using nand tools. Should ii tr to run it on dolphin?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Since you have bootmii boot2 you cab use cboot2 to run it.
I have bootmii but can runhbc from there.
How do i run it from cboot2.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look it up. It is basically a custom configuration and payload for bootmii that will execute a homebrew app from the SD at boot. I'd link you to a YouTube video but it contains links to illegal files that you'll need to get from other sources. I recommend you google the term "Wii fix full brick" and look what YouTube videos show.

sidglide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Look it up. It is basically a custom configuration and payload for bootmii that will execute a homebrew app from the SD at boot. I'd link you to a YouTube video but it contains links to illegal files that you'll need to get from other sources. I recommend you google the term "Wii fix full brick" and look what YouTube videos show.
Thanks Mickey, giving a shot as we speak.. will report back

sidglide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hey Guys,

Posting after a very longtime. I was able to troubleshoot the problem.
It was the wifi card which was loose and was preventing the wii to boot.
Hope this can help someone.

Cheers,
Sid

Reactions: Illuminaticy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended